Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about FRPP tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Question about FRPP tune?

Does the FRPP tune get rid of or raise the governed 147mph speed limit set on new 5.0 Mustangs? Has anyone with that tune installed tried to bury the needle yet? Also, are you locked into a 93 octane option with that tune or can you still use anything from 87-93 octane?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

All factory limiters are in place on the Procal tune. You need real 91 + for this tune, 91 is minimum as this is primarily a timing advance tune based on my datalogs.

On the plus side, you'll be using a whole lot less high test if you install this tune, as MPG goes up dramatically over stock.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Talking

Thanks for the info. Well that nixes the FRPP tune for me cause I got a neighbor who drives his police package Camaro SS on patrol who claimed his ride was faster than my Challenger R/T because his speedo says 190mph and he's had it up to 170 so if I ain't gonna be able to pull away from him on the long stretches I might as well keep looking for the better tune! Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
bobtail45

Get a 13 GT500 and bust 200..albeit, that is too fast for the streets....hit the track.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

If he really thinks that fat barn door of an SS is really doing 170+ mph and'll do 190 because the speedo says so, there ain't gonna be no reasoning with him because he's clearly irrational and delusional. These cars'll hit an aero wall at 160-ish best, stock, even limiter off. You need ALOT of power to get one of these dreadnoughts up to speeds much beyond that; as the required HP goes up with the cube of velocity.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Square of velocity, sorry it was bugging me, no offense intended.

Its also funny that a big message shows up on the camaros saying "overspeed"
Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
If he really thinks that fat barn door of an SS is really doing 170+ mph and'll do 190 because the speedo says so, there ain't gonna be no reasoning with him because he's clearly irrational and delusional. These cars'll hit an aero wall at 160-ish best, stock, even limiter off. You need ALOT of power to get one of these dreadnoughts up to speeds much beyond that; as the required HP goes up with the cube of velocity.
Tooo funny! He's a great guy and a Police officer so he's probably just bragging that basically, he can speed all he wants to and I cannot. Although I usually do anyhow. But I really wouldn't like a tune if it doesn't let me bypass the governed speed limit's set upon the car. If the car didn't have that speed limitation built in I wouldn't even be talking about a tune because otherwise I've very happy with the performance of the vehicle. Now danggit all I'm probably going to tune and have to put up with the added 25-40HP and 60ftlbs! Here's a serious question, now I didn't have any problems with adding a CAI, aftercat performance exhaust and DS CAI tune on my R/T. Not even from my local dealer, he didn't care, I didn't care and the car sure didn't mind. With say, a safe tune from SCT or BAMA can I rest just as easily that I'm not going to wreck my engine and be as comfortable with doing it as I was tuning my Challenger? Thanks again guys!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Besides being a less powerful tune than the likes of AM or Brenspeed, the FRPP won't allow you to change as many parameters as you can with the SCT and AM's or Brenspeed's tunes.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Square of velocity, sorry it was bugging me, no offense intended.

Its also funny that a big message shows up on the camaros saying "overspeed"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmhf...eature=related
I said power needed is cubed to speed.

drag is proportional to the square of speed, in simple terms (not really as simple as that but, it'll do). The power needed to overcome that drag is proportional to the cube of speed . You want to go twice as fast, you'll need an engine eight times more powerful.

Last edited by P51C; 10-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Since the reply doesn't seem to work, I'll try this here, same message:

I said power needed goes up with the cube of speed.

drag is proportional to the square of speed (not really as simple as that but it'll do). Power required to overcome that drag goes up with the cube of speed. i.e to go twice as fast, you need an engine eight times as powerful. Hello Bugatti Veyron....

Quick Reply: Question about FRPP tune?