Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Screw the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Default Screw the dealer

So, I was helping my buddy put borla on his 2003 cobra. I noticed that my tires were never rotated from when I got my oil change.... So now I am done with that. Anyways I am going to do my oil and transmission fluid change coming up and was looking for what to use....

I am unable to find amsoil 5w-50 for sale on the website.... Fr the tranny I ink I will do redline but am unsure of the weight.

Thoughts please as I will be doing this at the end of the month....

Oh snap what brand filter is high quality?

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

The 5.0 calls for 5w-20. 8 qts of it.

A Motorcraft FL-500S is actually a very high quality filter. At a good price also.

Guys have had good reports on Redline MTL. But the manual trans lube for the MT-82 is under debate so you many wanna contact Redline to confirm.

Last edited by solaratomic; 11-11-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

My 5.0 is the track pack and calls for 5w-50 and 8.5 quarts. But I will stick with that filter if it is a good quality thanks for the reply!! I will contact redline in regards to the trans fluid then
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I have a question regarding that dealership and how there is so much confusion regarding the "correct" oil for the 5.0, especially when you have the Track Pack option...

You stated the dealership changed your oil but failed to do what they said they were supposed to do, rotate your tires. That said, how can you be sure they used 5W-50 as the fill oil? Most Mustangs are non-track pack and it stands to reason that they have changed the oil in more 5.0's that use the 5W-20 than the heavier weight oil. Unless they brought you the empty oil bottles, can you be sure they didn't mess that up too? That's why I hate to let anyone else work on my car if it is something I can do. I don't trust any of them.

FYIW, I agree that the Motorcraft filter will serve you well as long as you aren't going for an extended oil change interval (>7500 mile). I use RP 5W30 and have been extremely happy with the FL500S filter. I'm averaging about 6mL of oil in my JLT oil separator every 5000 miles (the interval I change my oil and empty the container), and have never had to add oil between changes. I've read stories here of others who burn through a quart of oil ever couple thousand miles. I'm glad my car is not one of them.

When you find out from Red Line what trans fluid they recommend, can you post that up here?

Don
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Well my thought process on even using the dealership was, it is a brand new car so why would they do anything to jeopardize a warranty claim.... I see regardless some people will always cut corners.

As for the track pack, there should NOT be a debate about it at all. We have components from the Boss and this form of the GT is meant to be ran at a higher RPM for an extended period of time. I asked about throwing 5w-20 in there but was told if the engineers for this motor say 5w-50 then who am i to make a change like that, which makes sense.

Here is why there should be zero debate on what oil to use in the track pack:

Engine Oil Cap from the Factory
Name:  image1_zps943e9ac7.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  91.7 KB

My fluids cheat sheet out of my owners manual
Name:  image_zps96d39d03.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  137.1 KB

Will be emailing Redline shortly and post it when i get an answer.

Last edited by Slowbra302; 11-12-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Pictures not displaying
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

I stand corrected, I have no idea where you would get 5w-50. Maybe the dealer carries a motorcraft version.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM
2008saleen

It is always best to stick with a dealer when doing maint. when your car is still under warranty. I would suggest looking around for a better dealer. The prices are not usually that much higher. In the event of any type of failure you have all of the maint. records at the dealer. I can tell you from experience here in fl. Sometimes a decision has to be made by Ford. If you have been a loyal service customer and have done the right things to maintain you car in "their eyes" they will always give you the benefit of doubt. If no history and no loyalty they might not be willing to help you in a situation of grey area.
It is a shame and is very true. You need to watch the guys that are changing your oil and so on. They are usually the lowest skilled techs in the place and because of the fast pace nature of a lube techs enviroment are prone to make really simple and stupid mistakes. I dont want to think about the number of free oil changes and free tire rotations I gave out over the years due to things like tires not rotated, air pressure not checked and set, and windshield washer fluid not filled back up. Or one of the worst, greasy spot on seat or carpet.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Well since my car has been tuned and everything, my warrant. Has been shot since the odometer read 52 miles. To me, if I take the time or and do it myself it will be done right and last appropriately. I did ask for them to do a fluid change I the trans and they wouldn't because of the lack of mileage. Also it has been shown that motorcraft 5w-50 begins shearing around 2k miles and degrades down to a 30 weight by 4k. So my intent is to put a better quality oil / filter / trans fluid to make this last.

I emailed amsoil and red line. Will post up when they reply.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Response from AMSOil: We do not offer a 5W50 oil at this time. If the engine is not used in cold temperatures, the AMSOIL 20W52 can be used in it.

So now I need some help... What is a good company that produces 5w-50?.?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
2008saleen

I can see your point. I know how you feel. Nobody will ever treat your car like you do. Peace of mind knowing that it is done right is priceless. I think Redline and Mobile one make it.

Quick Reply: Screw the dealer