MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Internal Changes From 2012 to 2013??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/686550-internal-changes-from-2012-to-2013-a.html)

Ditty 12-12-2012 11:21 AM

Internal Changes From 2012 to 2013???

OK, so back story:
For about the last few months I've had some "ping" or "Knock" coming from the engine. It took FOREVER, and TWO different dealers, but I finally got FORD to replace the engine with a brand new one. Turns out the #2 rod bearing was GONE.

My question is, what are the (if any) internal changes from the 2012 to 2013 engine assemblies? I'm going to get the build numbers off of the new engine and see when it was assembled. I thought I heard something about the 2013 5.0's having some modifications and I'm thinking that Ford just sent the dealership a new '13 motor for my 2012, since they aren't making 2012 motors anymore.

Thoughts y'all?

mapitts 12-12-2012 03:40 PM

The only change I am aware of is the piston coolers. Oil jets that spray the bottom of the piston like your Powerstroke had. They got rid of that in '13.

Ditty 12-12-2012 03:48 PM

I thought they kept the oil squirters on the GT. I know they deleted them on the Boss302. Someone once told me something about some piston/cylinder coatings like the Boss has. IDK.

Anyone else?

mapitts 12-12-2012 04:10 PM

I could be wrong.....it has happenend before! I thought it was deleted on all 2013 5.0's.

Edit: I looked it up and oil squirters were deleted in 2013 on all 5.0's. Also 2013 gets heat treated pistons with better oil drain holes to reduce oil consumption

awbreyjd 12-12-2012 04:33 PM

also arent the headbolts shorter.

Ditty 12-13-2012 10:59 AM

@ Mapitts: Thanks! I didn't know that. Good info.

Shorter headbolts doesn't really make me very happy. I'd rather have 'em longer....though I can see that shorter bolts won't stretch as much.

Anyone else have some feedback? I think this will have some good info.

moosestang 12-14-2012 10:07 AM

What is causing so many bearing failures? We didn't have all these failures when the 4.6 3v rolled out and still don't. Is it detonation? low oil? Over revving?

Ditty 12-14-2012 10:10 AM

I think it's an oiling issue. I know mine stemmed from a Dealer, whom I am not going to mention here, doing an oil change and only putting in 2 qts of oil. No CEL, no Low Oil light, nothing; just the "tick". I noticed it a few weeks after the oilchange. (I'll say stay the heck away from a LARGE Ford/Hyundai Dealership in GlenBurnie, MD!!!)

2013GT 12-15-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ditty (Post 8111439)
I think it's an oiling issue. I know mine stemmed from a Dealer, whom I am not going to mention here, doing an oil change and only putting in 2 qts of oil. No CEL, no Low Oil light, nothing; just the "tick". I noticed it a few weeks after the oilchange. (I'll say stay the heck away from a LARGE Ford/Hyundai Dealership in GlenBurnie, MD!!!)

Man that sux !! Who did you end up going to and are you happy with that dealer ? I'm not that far and trying to find a reliable dealer to deal with.

JIM5.0 12-16-2012 11:36 AM

Over 30K miles, and I only let the dealership change my oil once. All the other times, I done it myself.

What turned me off from the dealership job was that they charged me for 8qts of oil but only put in 6qts, maybe half of a 7th qt. They didn't let my engine completely drain out to get the last 1.5-2qts out.
And when I started it up, ticking! It ticked for about 5min before it ceased.
I am guessing that some of the oil in the drivetrain might have dripped out during the draining and the new oil needed time to charge the lash adjusters, camshafts, etc.

Interestingly, every time I changed my own oil thereafter, I never heard any sort of ticking at all.

I am not sure if my guess is correct, so anyone with proper knowledge on this correct me where I'm wrong.