Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Muffler Rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Default Muffler Rust

So I was given a set of flowmaster super 10's last night, and I went to compare them to what I have to see how hard they would be to install and I noticed that on the bottom of both mufflers towards the front there is a nice big rusty spot. It looks like there is a drain hole of some sort there, but with not even 4k on the car I don't think there should be that much rust... has anyone else had this problem? is it a problem or should I not worry about it?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Here are pictures

Also I was wondering what the white label on my muffler's intake pipe means, it says MAN, so I would think it would mean manual, but I have an automatic.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From the pic, it doesn't look like rust. I suspect it's combustion by-products mixing with the condensation in the system and it's depositing on the external surface and just looks like crap.

But if it IS rust, return the car. It must be perfect.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Drain hole to let condensation water out. I think it is not unusual. Do you do lots of short trips?

Frank
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Drain hole to let condensation water out. I think it is not unusual. Do you do lots of short trips?

Frank
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I do mostly short trips. I didn't do much besides take the picture, I would take it back tomorrow to the dealer I bought it from but they are 150 miles away, the one in town are retarded: If I wanted to make an appt to take the car in they won't let me. They only take care of cars as they come in and I doubt that they would let me borrow another car while they take their time to work on it.
Any thoughts on the label on the mufflers? Thanks for the answers.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Looks to me like you could remove it with a wire brush. Doesn't really look like rust. Longer trips on the highway, I don't mean idling in traffic, would burn the crap out The whole car would appreciate it.

Frank
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
Looks to me like you could remove it with a wire brush. Doesn't really look like rust. Longer trips on the highway, I don't mean idling in traffic, would burn the crap out The whole car would appreciate it.

Frank
I'll see how easy it is to remove, and I try to drive it to town (20 minutes each way) at least once a week, drove it to San Antonio last week (3 hour drive), and this weekend I'm going to Utah for Christmas break so that should help. Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

It says "MAN" because you didn't gurl out and buy an automatic!
J/K, automatics with a good tune are consistently out-shifting manuals on the dragstrip every weekend.

Anyway, I think it's normal. That discoloration is not rust, its just like what Nuke said: carbon & water. I believe our stock mufflers are stainless steel, which is very resistant to rusting.

But if you are unsure, do take the trip to San Antonio and ask one of their dealerships. They are much bigger and much more reputable. And if one screws you over, you can simply go to a different dealer.
Alternatively, when you take your trip to Utah, on one of the towns en route, stop at a Ford dealer service and ask them to have a look.
The Del Rio dealership sounds like they are treating Ford customers badly because since they are the only one there, they know they can get away with it.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I will definitely have it looked at, we are going through Albuquerque so I would imagine that they have a few dealers. Thanks for the help.