Exhaust Question - MustangForums.com

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #1  
russell16
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Question

So about a couple months ago I upgraded from an 03 GT to a 12 5.0 and i love it. My question is, where are the cats on the 5.0? are they on the headers or the mid-pipe?

On my 03 GT the exhaust was a little easier to understand. You had headers, mid-pipe (cats where on the mid-pipe), and catback exhaust. I know with the 5.0s that you can get axle backs which pretty much just replaces your mufflers and tips or you can get a catback which usually comes with an x-pipe and connects to the stock headers. But I also see some stand alone mid-pipes labeled as offroad. It's just a little confusing to me and im sure a pretty simple answer.

And check out the link in my sig to hear my old exhaust.
russell16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #2  
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

I beleive the cats are in between the headers and the mid pipe, you can get cat back exhaust some replace the midpipe some don't, the ones that come with a new mid pipe normally say that they hook up to stock cats like the borla atak catback system on AM.
Dawghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #3  
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghouse View Post
I beleive the cats are in between the headers and the mid pipe....
Correctamundo.
mapitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #4  
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Its funny because iirc the 03s used a three stage cat converter where the 5.0 uses just one. How is that more confusing? Jk btw.
clowe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #5  
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have considered either an X pipe or a different H pipe. The factory H pipe has a smaller cross over with a flex joint. The H pipes I have looked at have the same cross over pipe size as the exhaust. Don't know if I would require a tune adjustment or how much more sound I would gain. I would leave the resonators. Don't want drone. I know that the X pipe would flow better though. OP, sorry. I just hijacked your thread!
mapitts is offline   Reply With Quote