Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Everything Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by awbreyjd
Not to rain on your rant but SC'ers are easier to tune because of the predictable/repeatable boost curve. Turbo's fluctuate much more.
Thank you. Not bogus facts, but facts.

I'm not even going to reply to the other questions.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

It REALLY just comes down to personal preference. I don't PERSONALLY like SCers. Just like how I don't like Hondas. That's MY opinion. I prefer turbos for a forced induction application. In a prefect world, I'd like to see 600hp N/A cars posting quick lap times. That isn't going to happen in a reliable applicaiton, so turbos it is; for ME.

I know that in the Mustang community that SCing is the norm simply b/c they are generally easier to install; to where nearly anyone with $20 worth of autozone tools can stuff one under the hood. Turbos are more of a challenge.

OP: Either route you decide to go will leave you with a quick car. You originally asked about turbos and that is what I would recommend. If for nothing else other than the fact that 99% of the FI Mustangs out there are SCed and you'd have the ONE Turboed Mustang at the car show. If you are serious about FI for your car, I'd recommend seriously looking at the TwinTurbo50 system. It is NICE!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

I would agree with ditty. Since you asked about turbo to begin with pretty much tells where your heart is. Get the turbo kit. Just had a friend finish a Helion twin setup on his 2012 gt 5.0 and its beatiful. Put as stated it should always be personal preference when it comes to your ride. Realistically they are the same to tune from a reputable tuner however the install for the 5.0 is much harder with turbo's but the look is so amazing.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Its probably about the same amount of effort for installing a turbo system as installing a s/c( procharger/vortech style) and long tubes. Weigh that in too, for you're getting the first half of your exhaust with the turbo kit.

Last edited by clowe1965; 02-02-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Another thing to possibly consider is emissions and the functioning of your cats. That is, if emissions is a consideration for the state you live in.
Turbos "steal" away heat from the exhaust gases since it uses the exhaust gas energy to turn the compressor wheel.
So you will have to consider the positioning of your cats being closer to the turbine wheel.
I believe it can be done; I am not certain just how much heat energy is taken out of the exhaust gas from turbos, but keeping the cats in their stock positions in the exhaust line might not be an option.

I don't know how true this is, but a modder (a professional mechanic, but not an engineer) said that turbos help emissions by "chopping up" the exhaust gases. I guess he means that this "chopping" effect distributes the particulates more evenly in the exhaust gases to be burnt off more easily and cleanly by the cats.

And of course, taking away energy from the exhaust gas also reduces noise considerably. Some say even to the point that you can put on straight through mufflers and get the same noise level as stock mufflers on an N/A engine.