Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ticking/Sewing machine noice coming from lower front passenger side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Gald it was just a fan belt. Easy Fix. I've seen other people talking about having the same problem.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Just be careful. I took mine in b/c of the tick, they did the full maintenance and added that lubricity motorcraft stuff. Quieted it down for about 2 days....barely heard it. Then, it came back with a vengence. Ford looked at it and called me 4 hours later. Rob Bearing on #2 spun. New engine for me, under warranty. Almost 5K on this motor and zero issues. About to go in for the first oil change with this motor.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

They hadn't even heard of the additive.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Just be careful. I took mine in b/c of the tick, they did the full maintenance and added that lubricity motorcraft stuff. Quieted it down for about 2 days....barely heard it. Then, it came back with a vengence. Ford looked at it and called me 4 hours later. Rob Bearing on #2 spun. New engine for me, under warranty. Almost 5K on this motor and zero issues. About to go in for the first oil change with this motor.
You could barely hear it before so there's almost zero chance it's a spun bearing. I've had the car back for a couple days and I can still hear the actual belt moving but you have to get up real close and strain to hear it. The injectors and valve train are the noisiest things now. It would also seem to me that you would be able to hear the noise on both sides of the car since the rod spins on a crank that's on the center line of the block.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

When a mechanic friend listened to it he initally said it sounded like a wrist-pin was loose. Dealer told me #2 rod bearing. Of course this is the SAME dealership that printed the Boss302 TSB for the "cold tick" and told me it was normal. "But it's not a Boss" I said. "Engine is the same" says the Service Writter. I LOLed and drove off. They had just solidified that IF the motor were to blow, it's going to be covered under warranty.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Jenzie

These engines have obvious problems. Mine has been in the shop nearly 3 wks. They replaced lifters, did the ac tension tsb, now the head. Vehicle has always been well maintained and non-abused. 10k miles and sounds like a Chevy with 500k...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Still got the tick but the engine is running strong. I've heard multiple 5.0's and talked to multiple owners and they all have it. I'm just going to go with a characteristic of the motor.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Still got the tick but the engine is running strong. I've heard multiple 5.0's and talked to multiple owners and they all have it. I'm just going to go with a characteristic of the motor.
Fun fact is this motor is noisy, With my cam tune it is even noisier!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Any of you have tunes on your vehicle, if so has the dealer tried to blame the tune. I'm curious, I've read that warranties are denied blaming the tunes. If these engines are failing without a tune, how can Ford blame a tune for the failure.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
Any of you have tunes on your vehicle, if so has the dealer tried to blame the tune. I'm curious, I've read that warranties are denied blaming the tunes. If these engines are failing without a tune, how can Ford blame a tune for the failure.
Pretty simple to blame tuners when the turn of some of the safety features or tune them outside the operating spectrum. The one I read about a couple times was the knock sensor being turned off and what not. Pretty much is you have to pay to play, there is always risk involved.

Quick Reply: Ticking/Sewing machine noice coming from lower front passenger side of engine