Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mustang GT Coyote vs F150 Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Default Mustang GT Coyote vs F150 Coyote

I am brain storming for building a supercharged or turbocharged Coyote engine.

One is to buy the 9.5:1 CR Coyote Aluminator, but those are running well over $8300 today.

Another idea I am toying with is buying a used Coyote engine and building it up.
I did a search of salvage yards and even Craigslist and I can only find Coyote engines that were pulled from 2011+ F150 trucks.

So, in line with this brainstorming thought, exactly what are the differences of the F150 Cyote and the Mustang GT Coyote?
The only differences I can think of are:
1) Cam profile: the F150 Coyote has a "detuned" cam profile as compared to the Mustang Coyote.
2) Exhaust: F150 Coyotes use cast-log exhaust manifolds; the Coyote uses tubular headers.
3) PCM parameters: Obviously, with a different timing and different breathing exhaust, the F150 requires a different tune than the Mustang GT.

Now for what I do not know:
1) Intake manifold? I am not sure if they are equivalent.
2) Do F150 Coyotes use the Copperhead PCM tune coding that the Mustang GT uses? I.e. the only difference is the tune?
3) Aside from the cam profile and exhaust manifolds, what other physical hardware differences exist between the F150 & Mustang Coyotes?
4) Is an F150 Coyote a direct drop for a Mustang GT? I.e. all the mounting hardware the same? The transmission bolt patterns? Wiring harnessing?

The reason why I am considering building a used block is because the cost seems to put me ahead instead of buying a 9.5:1 CR Coyote Aluminator for over $8300.
So far, I have begun to consider the rebuilding cost:
Used Coyote, F150 block, ~$3000
Forged 9.5:1 CR pistons, teflon skirt & crown coat, with Manley H-beam forged rods, ~$1500

Some other parts I am looking at:
Boss302 bearings: Dont know price yet.
All around ARP studs, nuts, & bolts, for rods, main caps, head bolts, etc.: Dont know price yet
Comp Camps with forced induction profile cut: Dont know price yet
Better valve springs: Dont know price yet
Better rockers & rocker lash adjusters (if they exist): Dont know price yet.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Search some of the F150 forums. I know that some of the 5.0 owners are going crazy over the engine covers we have and I do know that they snap right in. At least those intake holes are in the same place. I know that that is a long way from the questions that have been asked, but that is the first place I would look. I do not know about the current '11 & up F150 exhaust set up. I know that my 2010 F150 with a 5.3 had the same exact exhuast manifolds a 4.6 Mustang did. The high flow design. With the tooling needed to produce the coyote I would tend to think that they actually share a lot of the same design structure. If you find that some one had put a Boss intake on an F150 I think a lot of your questions would be answered there on the intake side. All of this is me assuming things and you know how that goes. I have wondered the same things though, although I am not going to be doing anything like what you are doing. Still it peaks my interest just to know if that makes any sense.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Don't forget all the gaskets you'd have to buy for the rebuild/refit. Looking at how complex the inner workings of the engines are I would guess that you've already got the main differences down. The f150 probably uses a different mount that has the same 4 bolt pattern so the blocks can me made the same. As far as the intake, looks like its the same http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=69&t=98994
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Looks like those questions were answered right there. I ran Mike's custom tunes in my 2010 F150. Guy is sharp and I really enjoyed working with him to get my tune to right where I wanted it. Nothing but first class and a super guy to deal with. Mike Bulter and 5 Star tuning are a man with an F150's dream come true. He took my F150 and put me outpulling Dodges, and Chevys 6.0, with my 5.4. I was at the time out pulling the stock EcoBoost V6. He was the first to start with custom tuning on the EcoBoost.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, guys, and if you all find more info, please keep 'em coming!

I did some surface web surfing, and this is what I found out so far:
The difference between the F150 Coyote and Mustang Coyote are:
1) Smaller lift and/or duration intake cam for more torque

2) Different valve job on exhaust valve for increased cooling in high loads. I have absolutely no idea what this means. Someone please enlighten me how exhaust valves on a truck are designed differently than for coupes.

3) Reduced compression, 10.5:1 CR (no biggie, I plan on discarding the stock pistons and rods for properly forged pistons and H-Beam true forged rods)

4) Different exhaust manifolds (I plan on discarding these for proper tubular headers anyway).

5) Obviously the tune. But I cannot determine if F150 trucks also use the Copperhead coding for their tunes also.
smaller intake cam for more torque, different valve job on exhaust valve for increased cooling in high loads, reduced compression, exhaust manifolds, and obviously the tune.

I am still searching the net for more info.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Jenzie

If you are interested - maybe you can contact my dealer and buy mine. LOL - they haven't been able to fix it in nearly 4 weeks. Completely stock, only 10k miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXSn...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jenzie
If you are interested - maybe you can contact my dealer and buy mine. LOL - they haven't been able to fix it in nearly 4 weeks. Completely stock, only 10k miles.

Wow, sorry to "hear" about your problem. Bad pun, I know.

What dealership is this? I'm actually seriously considering doing just that.
Even if they tear it down, I want everything except the pistons, rods, valve springs, stock oil pump, stock belt idler pulley.

They can keep all that; I'm looking to build this puppy up.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jenzie

Can you link your tread you have about this tick? I havent been on in a month or two so I'm not up to speed what has all been talked about.

I want to read up on your odessey in getting your car fixed