Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

6mt owners, need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
TMSBOSS

One item to check is the rubber boot which seals the shifter shaft to the floor. Its under the console. If this is not properly installed, noise will be very noticeable.

When I swapped out myshifter, I had issues with this until I checked the boot and found it was not sealed correctly.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Raptorgt
I was reversing in a parking lot (2-3 mph?) and it felt like I hit a brick wall, the tranny locked up and engine stalled. I got out to see what I hit (it was that abrupt) and nothing there. I started the car back up and in all the forward gears there was a horrible whining noise that got worse with speed which is why they rebuilt it.

If its nothing in excess of what everyone else hears...thats fine but I didnt pay 30k+ for my first brand new car to have it sit in the shop for 2+ months, puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth about the cars durability. I was planning on keeping this car for a VERY long time as I really enjoy the car but I am already in the market for a different car, waiting to see what comes out in the next year or so as I refuse to be paying this much for a car with questionable reliability.

My 2001 S10 4x4 with 150k miles on it has been more reliable than my brand new 2012 Mustang GT with 8k miles on it. Thats not right.
was the clutch pushed in when the engine stalled and everything locked up?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
It's the type of gears used. Helical gears whine, it's normal. This is especially true if it's a fresh rebuild. Drive your car and be happy. All my cars over the years have been manuals, and all made a whining noise in first if the rpm's were high. Even my Firebird with a perfectly fine T-56 did it. BTW, I'm an ASE certified mech that built trannies throughout college, big and small. It's also why higher ratio rear ends whine. My Z71 with an auto and 3.73 rear whines.
helical gears DO NOT whine. That's the reason to have them. Straight cut gears can whine, that's normal. There hasn't been a straight cut gear in the forward speeds of a MT car in decades.

Some noise in first and reverse is expected, more than other gears. Downshifts without rev matching will create noise, too, as the dog rings help the gears line up. Be worried if it whines under load going forward.

Mine blew too, no provocation. Ford rebuilt it but, yeah, I was out my car for a month with several back and forths with dealer personnel and Ford mgmt before it got sorted.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Rear ends are helical and they can whine.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Rear ends are helical and they can whine.
Nice try. Rear gears are hypoid or spiral bevel, depending on application. Hypoid are spiral bevel when the pinion gear is below the centreline of the ring gear. Spiral bevel is when the pinion is in line with the centre of the ring gear.

It's possible for all gears to whine but what causes helical gear whine is not the gear design, it's a change in the relationship between the gears themselves. Helical gears are by design, smooth and quiet. Whine here is caused by failures in bearing support of the gears or gear damage, full stop.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

i notice no wining or noise with my 6mt tranny or my 3.31 or w/e is stock rear end
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Rear gear whine with steep gear ratios on 8.8s has been an issue since the 1980s. Ford does a slap-to-torque method of assembly on the 8.8s, using acrush sleeve to take up the space behind the pinion gear. Now, this is ok on tall economy ratios, 999 times out of 1000 but, steep gears need more careful setup.

I have slight whine in my 3.73 rear in a small speed range so, I ran the pattern when I had the cover off to change the fluid for something a bit more robust. I found the pinion depth, factory delivered, as being a tetch too deep and that's what's casing the noise. Not enough to make me want to rip it apart and replace the gears but present nonetheless.

When my MT-82 just up and started whining out of nowhere at about 2000 miles, I thought to myself, a change in the relationship between the main and countershaft, caused by bearing failure, since it occurred in all forward gears. Turned out, I was correct, the input shaft bearing was first to fail and it took out a whole bunch of other stuff. The transmission shifted fine through all of this; noise was the only indication of issues.

Don't accept the hypothesis that whine is "normal" for these transmissions, unless it is very slight. Some extra noise is to be expected from a manual over an automatic but, watch for anything that suddenly changes or is louder than can be overcome with a low volume setting on the radio.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

its kinda a double edged sword. Some people are too paranoid about slight noise because when they first got the car they were to busy enjoying it to hear. Then they finally hear it and freak. So they will spend countless hours down time and money to find out there never was a problem. Others will take a new and sudden noise as common and be out a trans in no time. Every Manual car I have had has always whined a little. But I have had one tranny need to be replaced, however its noise was much more noticeable and came on after a long drive. As stated above light noise or even slight gear noise is normal but anything that is new or overly loud may need to be checked. Sad thing is there is really no way to no either way if it is a true problem or just regular noise unless the time/money is spent to check.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Therein lies the true power of forums like this one. While they have a tendency to get stupid at times, there's a wealth of shared info and knowledge to be found here and at places like this.

I've been building cars, bikes, etc. for 30 years, no dealer service advisor is going to convince me something is "normal" when it isn't. Information can be power in these circumstances, other people's experiences, tactics, a clear understanding of the mechanics involved, etc. gives a better chance of a positive resolution.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
Nice try. Rear gears are hypoid or spiral bevel, depending on application. Hypoid are spiral bevel when the pinion gear is below the centreline of the ring gear. Spiral bevel is when the pinion is in line with the centre of the ring gear.

It's possible for all gears to whine but what causes helical gear whine is not the gear design, it's a change in the relationship between the gears themselves. Helical gears are by design, smooth and quiet. Whine here is caused by failures in bearing support of the gears or gear damage, full stop.
I already know that. Spur gears are notoriously loud but helical gears aren't deathly quiet. I used to have equipment operators think their machines were messed up all the time because they heard spur gears. My M6 has whined slightly in the lower gears since day one and there's nothing wrong with it. A whine from damaged parts is noticeably different than normal noise.

Quick Reply: 6mt owners, need your input!