Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any high mileage Coyotes out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Any high mileage Coyotes out there?

And how are they holding up? I'm mildly concerned about this 5.0 engine tick which seems to indicate major engine problems to the few people I've read or seen on youtube complaining about it. Someone please tell me how I didn't downgrade getting a 5.0 GT versus my old 5.7l Hemi I had in my Challenger, at least, reliability wise.

As for the Challenger, nice engine poorly executed with the MDS system and the cast crank and other non-racing performance specs of that engine IMO. If I'd still had that car I would have been dumping a built and stroked 7.0l Hemi or one of Mr. Norms built up engines to make it a real muscle car. My GT, in my opinion, is already a performance built ride needing very little else to be my ideal of a sport car. My only regret so far is that I didn't hold out for a Boss 302 but, it's only a slight regret. Not like the regret that I didn't get the SRT8 Challenger with the 6.1L engine vs the R/T!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
mmike87

I read about the brutal reliability tests Ford did as part of the Boss 302 program ... now sure some of the parts are different, but some of the reliability has to trickle down.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I have a little over 30,000 miles (daily driver) and have had zero issues. The manual is anything but refined.. but hasnt broken despite my abuse. The engine has been rock solid. No rattles either.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

2011 DD I have had no issues with the engine the only thing that I had to use my warranty on was actuators in the dash went out. Oh yeah 29k.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Jhawk
1st Gear Member

18,000 miles in one year, hasn't seen the dealership since I roached it sideways out of the lot.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Right at 35K. Had the engine replaced under warranty due to oiling issues w/ #2 rod and smoking the bearing. Had to replace the Drivers Side up Stream 02 myself b/c Ford wouldn't cover the warranty b/c the engine was out after my accident. I'm getting the windshield replaced b/c a construction company dropped a rock from an overpass and almost killed my g/f and I. FINALLY getting new tires this week. It's time for new pads for the brembos and I've had my DS Fog light burn out and they forgot to fix that at my last visit.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Right at 35K. Had the engine replaced under warranty due to oiling issues w/ #2 rod and smoking the bearing. Had to replace the Drivers Side up Stream 02 myself b/c Ford wouldn't cover the warranty b/c the engine was out after my accident. I'm getting the windshield replaced b/c a construction company dropped a rock from an overpass and almost killed my g/f and I. FINALLY getting new tires this week. It's time for new pads for the brembos and I've had my DS Fog light burn out and they forgot to fix that at my last visit.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Lawls...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
how many miles were on it at the time?

i have 27k and no major issues. I had to have a seat adjustment motor replaced right when i bought it (used) with 15k miles. Also had some creaking after lowering the car so I had tsb 11-10-17 (or w/e number i forget) done.

Engine light has flashed twice now and cut power for 30 secs while driving... very concerning but ford didnt do anything and couldnt replicate it, said there was no data logged and the light was off....
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Motor started knocking at about 18k, one dealer refused to look at it, and that is where I bought it. They said it was another dealers fault. The 'fault' dealer refused to even see the car w/ out a $200 deposit b/c "we can't be sure it's a warranty issue". Finally found a dealer that would look at it, find out that #2 rod bearing is shot. New motor finally put in at 25k.

If you have a tick that sounds like valve knock or anything close, take it in and have 'em check it out immediately.

Quick Reply: Any high mileage Coyotes out there?