Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes Longtubes Installed!!! (write up included)

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Pypes Longtubes Installed!!! (write up included)

Well I finally finished up my install yesterday and damnnnnn do I love theses headers and the amazing sound they gave my car :banana::banana: .. I will admit install was a COMPLETE pita and not sure if I would do it again, but all in all I am very happy with the outcome. Shaun @ AED sent me an update and the car is running great. I roll race my friends evo all the time and before the headers I would pull about 1 car on him but very slowly, we ran last night after the headers and I pull 2 cars on him and keep pulling much quicker than before so theses definitely add some midrange!!

As far as the fitment goes, everything bolted up well, I have about 1" of clearance with the steering shaft which is great, my only complaint is that I do have a rattle/buzzing sound. I read on another members thread that said his installer said the tubes actually vibrate together near where they meet the collector causing a rattle sound, but I will have to get under the car and check that out. If anything I can use header wrap right by the collector so they dont rattle/buzz.

I promised I would take some pics or make a video of the install but unfortunately I had no time as I was rushing to finish so I will do a write up instead.

First you need to remove the batter & tray and also intake. Next you need to loosen up the 15mm motor mount bolts so you can jack up the motor. I placed a 2x4 right under the bell housing where it meets the motor and jacked up right from there. Also remove the 4 15mm bolts holding the cross member in place right under the trans and remove it from the car.

I did this install on 4 jackstands in my garage, did not remove the K member, and reused the stock studs/nuts and did not remove any of them.

Drivers Side
This side was much easier as you have a lot more room.
1. remove the 2 10mm bolts inside the car where the steering column meets the fire wall and pull back on the small little silver plate.
2. Remove the 13mm bolt that holds the steering shaft to the rack and gently push the steering shaft up. Some like to remove the steering shaft completely, but I just pushed it up and to the side so I can work
3. Remove the 4 13mm motor mount bracket bolts that hold the bracket to the block and remove.
4. Remove all 8 15mm header bolts, remove the stock manifold and bolt up the new.
5. Replace all bolts/parts removed and move to the passenger side.

Passenger Side
This side is a little more involved as there is not much room at all
1. remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the starter in place, and remove the 13mm and 10mm nuts holding the power cables to the back of the starter and remove it from the car.
2. Remove the 4 13mm bolts holding the motor mount bracket in place (note: 2 of the studs have 15mm bolts on top of them. 1 holds the ground stap and the other holds the AC lines. Remove those first then remove the 13mm stud)
3. remove all 8 header holts then remove the stock manifold, and bolt the new one in place. Note: you may need to have a friend or yourself gently push the engine towards the drivers side as its a tight squeeze getting the new header in.
4. Tighten all 8 header bolts and put back everything you removed using various exotic positions (lmfao bent my body in so many weird ways to get some of the bolts)
5. Bolt up the x pipe and all other items you removed, load the new tune and fire her up.

Misc. install tips
--DO NOT USE 02 EXTENSIONS! The 02 harness is a pain to get unclipped from all its holding points but just take your time and follow the harness to get all the clips and you will have more than enough length.
--Have a ton of patience and dont work straight through unless you have to. I got frustrated at plenty of bolts and took plenty of breaks.
-- You may need to lower the motor a tiny bit when tightening up the new header if you have it jacked up too much as the collector/bottom of the header will hit the bottom of the car not allowing you to correctly mount the header
-- Tools I would have handy include 13mm & 15mm ratcheting flex head (these 2 are a MUST), 13mm & 15mm short and deep 3/8 drive sockets, 3/8 drive ratchet, 1/4 drive ratchet with a 10mm & 8mm socket both long and short, and some various other extensions/universal joints.

If you have any questions feel free to post here or PM me. I did the install on my 2010 which was a little bit easier, so I already knew what to do this time around.

Only exhaust vid I have as of right now is a burnout video my friend took earlier today. I will get you guys a video here shortly. Car sounds AMAZING with the borla S types. Such an exotic sound!!

Name:  photoferwf_zps69129343.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  fwr_zps5f0212df.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0881_zpsbc7d0773.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  131.6 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Your exhaust should not rattle or buzz. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them tack the collector to the primaries.