Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How to get to 500 hp at the crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Ouch...almost $6500 for adding approximately 80hp? Man, that's not much HP per dollar. All that money and you still have the stock rods, pistons, crank, etc.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM
11gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKRA
You can add a cold air intake, headers, and a tune and get approximately 490 crank hp.

See Brenspeeds advertisement: http://www.brenspeed.com/coyotestage2a.html
Actually, this is exactly the sort of thing I am looking to see. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I've got a no tune CAI, lt, and gt500 mufflers on a dyno tune and got 428 at the rear wheels. So depending on how generous you are (10-15% loss) I'm between 475 and 503 at the flywheel. Take it with a grain of salt, the tuner estimated he could get another 10-20 hp out of a larger intake. Throw the boss intake on there and it would be around 475 rwhp. Also go ahead and get a baseline (wrong time of the year for high numbers sadly) because each car/dyno is different. I talked to one guy who claimed his boss put out over 440 rwhp (can't remember the exact number) in stock form, while my friend only got a measly 400 out of his tuned boss. Depending on how your car starts out will tell you how many things you'll need to do, some are higher than others depending on break-in and luck of the draw.
Don't forget the torque difference between a n/a and f/i options. A couple of guys with gt500s with a completely stock car will peel the tires in first, which is a lower gear, while mine doesn't with the higher transmission ratio. Weigh that in as well, its great to have the n/a power but peak to peak matching numbers an f/i car, assuming it can get traction and drivers being equal, will walk away from you in the rest of the powerband. Plus the noise inside the car is addictive.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
draxxus131
1st Gear Member

I suggest looking up lawman/lawman1 on these forums. Carlo Spiga has a 521 rwhp coyote in one of my favorite colors mainly because I own that color haha. Lucky for me he is a GREAT GUY and completely willing to give me the rundown, he spent almost $10,000 on his build and that included porting to the stock heads.... just look it up it's too much for me to type when I think about it. His build covered basically every cooling aspect of the engine, very genius on his part.

Anyways what I'm getting at is, prices have dropped since then quite considerably. His same build could basically be had for a tad bit under $7,000. No heat issues like you would with a supercharger on the track, just take my word for it, if you don't well I'll put it this way, YOU WILL FIND OUT SOONER OR LATER. Plus not having the extra 75-100lbs over the nose as with a centrifugal, or twin screw on top messing up the Center of Gravity for the vehicle, really makes the car NOT FEEL LIKE A V10!!

But take my words like a grain of salt I'm a nobody, I just happen to have some wisdom that I will effortlessly pass forward(YELLOW FLAG HAHA).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Heat issues from a supercharger?? Never heard of this...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
11gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
I've got a no tune CAI, lt, and gt500 mufflers on a dyno tune and got 428 at the rear wheels. So depending on how generous you are (10-15% loss) I'm between 475 and 503 at the flywheel. Take it with a grain of salt, the tuner estimated he could get another 10-20 hp out of a larger intake. Throw the boss intake on there and it would be around 475 rwhp. Also go ahead and get a baseline (wrong time of the year for high numbers sadly) because each car/dyno is different. I talked to one guy who claimed his boss put out over 440 rwhp (can't remember the exact number) in stock form, while my friend only got a measly 400 out of his tuned boss. Depending on how your car starts out will tell you how many things you'll need to do, some are higher than others depending on break-in and luck of the draw.
Don't forget the torque difference between a n/a and f/i options. A couple of guys with gt500s with a completely stock car will peel the tires in first, which is a lower gear, while mine doesn't with the higher transmission ratio. Weigh that in as well, its great to have the n/a power but peak to peak matching numbers an f/i car, assuming it can get traction and drivers being equal, will walk away from you in the rest of the powerband. Plus the noise inside the car is addictive.
Clearly the shape of the power band is just as important as peak numbers and low end torque is even more important to me. I know that I will probably need to go FI in order to get the same shape as the shelby.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Lawman

Thanks Draxxus for the good word. Getiing 500 CRANK HP N/A is not so hard. I would suggest the Brenspeed package of CAI + headers and Tune and you should get close to that. To guarantee it I would go with the Boss Intake. You can get all that for around $3 grand. Brenspeed package is nice because its an al in one package with the tune, They will adjust it for you if need be. they are good guys and very responsive.

Now if you want to get 600 crank HP that is a different deal altogether. 11Gt seems to think 475 WHP can be got with just a CAI, headers and a tune. I would differ. I think you will need more than that. He got 428 with his setup but I have never seen anybody get that kind of WHP with a tuneless CAI and headers. Maybe he has a a real good engine and or a generous dyno. However, I have personally seen several examples of those whp levels with the above combo including the Boss intake I just mentioned.

Those examples were on a load bearing dyno so I think they are legit. All in all it is very doable and you should do it. That was the first thing I did minus the Boss intake and I went from 358 whp to 410 on the same load bearing dyno. The 5.0 gives you more bang for the buck in a lighter package.

BTW my car will be featured in the next issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords coming out June 18. A lot of people know about the engine work. But check out the interior and tell me if you like it. I have done a little more work on it. I think its pimp but reasonable minds may differ.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Wow Lawman....8 posts 2006! Ultimate lurker status right there!!

What year is your mustang?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Jpc is in the process of putting together a forged stroker dont know when it will be ready but it will likely make more then 500 n/a!

http://www.jpcracing.com/coyote-stro...t-block-351ci/

Last edited by dominant1; 06-16-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

It was a dynojet, pro-dyno in fort mill sc so low elevation as well. Also was between 50-60 degrees. Another guy (Widow Maker) got 408 with a JLT and a dyno tune a few weeks ago. I think it was just dumb luck with the engine build and the tuner. It was only 416 with a Bama tune.

Quick Reply: How to get to 500 hp at the crank