Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How to get to 500 hp at the crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Wait wait...$15k for a stroked engine....man that's really expensive. It doesn't even include the heads!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Wait wait...$15k for a stroked engine....man that's really expensive. It doesn't even include the heads!!
Yeah but its 351 cubic inches, it would be a monster n/a or supercharged. Notice that they give you compression ratio choices. If the circumstances were right i'd consider this and i'd bolt my Paxton to it and run 12psi and make 900
Hp easily...lol.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

You do have a point...and these engines are fairly new, the aftermarket isn't exactly saturated yet. I'm used to seeing similar builds for LT1 and LS1 for 10k or less.

How much do low mileage, used coyotes sell for?? Might not be a bad deal if you can sell your old engine for a good price.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

You could sell yours for $5k easily but this is a short block so you need the accessories from you current engine. you can get the heads done up, upgrade the cams, this thing could make 575hp naturally aspirated!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Wow Lawman....8 posts 2006! Ultimate lurker status right there!!

What year is your mustang?
2011. I have been around. Here is more detailed information on my car. It is in this month's issue of Mustang Performance published by Mustang 5.0. While JPC was building their car, I was building mine. Brian Shapiro at B&D Racing was consulting with Justin at the time and we were keeping track of their build. They got 550 rwhp naturally Aspirated on race gas. We got 522 on 91 octane.

I rebuilt the engine form the ground up with forged internals. Wiseco pistons, Manley Rods, Polished and rebalanced the crank, deck plated and line bored the block, Livernois Stage One Heads, Comp Stage 2 Cams. Boss 302 valve Springs, Oil Cooler and Oil Pan. (JMS Racing in El Monte CA built the engine) Car also has Cortex rear grip package with Cortex watts Link, Torque Arm, Adjustable rear lower control arms (Heim jointed on the axle end) MM caster Camber plates, Koni Yellows all around, Boss 302 springs in front Steeda sport springs in back. Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Interior is in full Alcantara, Shift boots in black and blue Italian leather, Rally flag cue ball shifter, Barton Short throw Shifter and Bracket hardware is UPC. Car was put together and Tuned by Mason Rowland and Brian Shapiro at B&D racing in Van Nuys California. The below dyno run is on a load bearing dyno similar to a Mustang dyno. It is not generous. A 2013 GT500 was measured at 560 rwhp on this same dyno. So I think the standard 15% drive train loss applies which puts crank horsepower and torque at approximately 614/445.

Anyways, sorry about the thread jack but if you want to get 600 crank horsepower naturally aspirated this is one way to do it.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/0...rd-mustang-gt/

https://plus.google.com/photos/11018...841?banner=pwa

Last edited by lawman1; 06-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Don't forget about fuel type. If you have access to E85, 500 crank HP will be easy. Boss manifold, CAI, Throttle body, injectors, and Long tubes with off/road pipes, on a good E85 tune will get you there.

Last edited by Deranged2013; 07-06-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Lawman1, that's an impressive motor

Do you ever think about building a low compression motor and installing a F1 Procharger on there?? that would be some scary hp numbers if you ever were to..
Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Lawman1, that's an impressive motor

Do you ever think about building a low compression motor and installing a F1 Procharger on there?? that would be some scary hp numbers if you ever were to..
I have thought about it but then i see people blowing up their cars chasing a number. I don't need to go low compression though. My internals are good to 1000 hp. I would not go procharger. I don't like where they put the air intake at the back of the engine bay. That makes no sense to me. As it stands now, my air filter pulls air from directly underneath the vent on my Tiger hood. I would go with Vortech or Paxton if I went with anything. We were thinking this engine would be around 700 Whp with a supercharger. But if I did that I would not be able to track the vehicle successfully. What I have here with engine and suspension is essentially a "Super Boss". It is balanced, resistant to overheating, and I can apply the power down out of curves smoothly on good street tires because I don't have 550 lbs of torque.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM
KP Racing
Former Sponsor

500 at the crank is easily achieved depending on where you are in the world. Our shop is located in Houston, TX so we are basically sea level. My 5.0 puts down 426 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. What's kind of cool is that the Mustang dyno has a graph that shows approximate crank hp as well, and it say's that mine is estimated at 532 bhp. I know that is super generous, but it accounts for the weight of the vehicle (full of gas, with driver) plus drivetrain loss.

The engine mods to my personal car are as follows:
Steeda CAI
JBA O/R X pipe
Magnaflow Competition Cat back exhaust
Custom dyno tune by KP Racing
426rwhp at 6850rpm / 395rwtq at 4450rpm
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KP Racing

The engine mods to my personal car are as follows:
Steeda CAI
JBA O/R X pipe
Magnaflow Competition Cat back exhaust
Custom dyno tune by KP Racing
426rwhp at 6850rpm / 395rwtq at 4450rpm
I really like those numbers.. most likely gonna run something like this until I can afford headers and just run the shiet out of the car this season.. or whatevers left of it lol

Any gains with a BOSS 302 intake manifold on the above set up and an auto trans??

Quick Reply: How to get to 500 hp at the crank