Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 GT Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default throttlebody

There is zero difference from the accufab and the frpp throttlebody they are identical except at the connector ford wants you to rewire the connector, accufab is not required. Or am I wrong ? So I would like to Know how it is a mistake to put on the accufab throttle body but not a mistake to put on the ford one ? How does that make sense ?

Your right cheap and reliable don't go together. I would like to know where you bought your "cheap" GT ? I paid a reasonable price for the value of what is a 2013 Mustang GT.

Just because I get 30 mpg on the highway, does not mean that my Mustang GT is slow either. Driving like a race car driver is meant for the track not the street. So I will comfortably grandpa drive my mustang around town, and cruise past the guy pulled over for imprudent driving. Maybe I respect the things I own call me crazy.

That being said.. you can drive your vehicle however you want and I will never bother you about it, nor tell you to drive it differently. Free will is great isn't it.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

A throttle body on a N.A. setup is a waste of money. Period.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

In reference to MPG, maybe a throttle body on a naturally aspirated setup isn't such a crazy idea? IDK about these new motors, but on my '04 doing the TB, upper plenum, and intake got me 2mpg on the highway. Everyone has a different agenda, and some people REALLY want to get the most for their money spent at the pump, so they may be ok with spending $450+ on a part that may or may not get them half a mpg on the highway. The point is, this thread is about mileage, not horsepower, so saying that a TB (which flows more air more efficiently than the stock piece) is a worthless piece may not be the most intelligent answer given the context of what is SUPPOSED to be being talked about in this particular thread. </rant>
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

im not sure about the 5.0 throttle bodies, but the ones for the 4.6 3v are known to be a pain in the *** and rarely worth it until you have FI.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
In reference to MPG, maybe a throttle body on a naturally aspirated setup isn't such a crazy idea? IDK about these new motors, but on my '04 doing the TB, upper plenum, and intake got me 2mpg on the highway. Everyone has a different agenda, and some people REALLY want to get the most for their money spent at the pump, so they may be ok with spending $450+ on a part that may or may not get them half a mpg on the highway. The point is, this thread is about mileage, not horsepower, so saying that a TB (which flows more air more efficiently than the stock piece) is a worthless piece may not be the most intelligent answer given the context of what is SUPPOSED to be being talked about in this particular thread. </rant>
These aren't 04 Mustangs. The testing has already been done and there are no gains in horsepower or gas mileage. If you want to go against the grain then by all means spend the money. But it would seem from your posts you have a lot to learn.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

I know I have a lot to learn, as I clearly stated "IDK much about these new motors." I also know that this is a lot more efficient motor in every aspect than the 2v in my '04, I was just stating previous experience which was, again, prefaced by me saying I don't know jack about the Coyote motor yet. Either way, thanks for the input and clearing up any misconception I had about the TB for the new 5.0
Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
Personally I'm talking US gallons b/c, despite how much I hate how our units of measure are different than 98% of the world, that's what we use where I'm from. Also, I think there are 128 ounces US in a US gallon, and somewhere around 150 ounces US in an Imperial gallon
mea culpa you are correct I was giving the numbers for quarts. 4 qts to a gallon. US gal is 4 X 32 or 128 fl oz. and Imp gal is 4 x 40= 160 fl oz.

Pt was in Canada the mpg conversion will always be higher using imp gallons. So converting 30 mpg (imp) to US would give 24 mpg (us gal)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Cool good stuff
Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Gas mileage

Yes this thread is about gas mileage and efficiency. And I am going to test this throttlebody and post a picture of the results. If its not more efficient I can always send it back. But I have heard reviews from some that it increases mileage during city driving, which is why I am interested in the throttlebody to begin with. Increasing overall performance is what I am most interested in.

What you call a waste of 500$ I call a test for a hobby, I enjoy. Saying I have a lot to learn is an accurate statement, but an arrogant one at that, I will say sir. That of all things to be known in this universe on the grand scale, you and I both know relatively nothing. Knowledge is something that is acquired not something you are just magically born with.

I worked at Ford for several years and have my Gas Engines,brakes,front end,alternative fuels, svt and electrical. I never went with mechanical I prefer bodywork day in day out. I have also personally completed a 1989 fox body 1970 429 thunderjet swap, with the 460 swap kit, the headers went in with the engine at the same time and took about 18 hours with a more skilled mechanic putting the engine headers and trans in. 7 MPG !

I plan on supercharging the car, in the future but there is a right time for that, the first major maintenance when the spark plugs get changed and the coolant, injectors a little dirty. Then im having my dealer install a supercharger which they said they would do. Untill then im enjoying my hobby and would rather pay someone then perform time consuming modifications that I don't enjoy doing..Ie long tube headers, I love them but never again will I put them on myself.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Well put man...do let us know what happens when you put that TB on

Quick Reply: 5.0 GT Gas Mileage