Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

American Muscle Review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

You won't call it a day after that. That's what I said after I got exhaust, then it was lowered, then a full suspension rebuild....
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like an issue with the device itself. I'd give AM another chance to work with you on it, I almost feel like I should be a better customer when talking to their reps sometimes, they're spot on, even if it takes a little work.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default tuning research

Not going to bother with the tune. I searched the internet and found numerous sites, and tuning companies experiencing problems with there tuners. Apparently it makes the tuning guys furious when it happens. The devices automatically try and update and this corrupts files that are preloaded. It was originally a fix to stop the tuners from crashing when trying to revert the unit to stock, happened with sct in 2012 during a critical update, numerous people were left stranded with dead ecus. Eventually most tuners were able to help there customers and load stock tunes into the updated programs and restore most vehicles. Not all were so lucky, on some occasions an alarm would trip or the vehicle would momentarily cut power during a load and cause irreparable damage to the ecu and the customer would end up having to send away their ecu for repair. I suppose it is really my fault for not thoroughly researching the tuners before deciding to order them. Looking through old threads of people to scared to flash there ecus and not being able to use there vehicle sent a good spot of a realization, I don't want to be in that boat, cost me 700 bucks to figure that out, but better then a pissed off wife who cant use the car.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Most having that issue are people who feel its necessary to update firmware every time one is released.. Tuner is much like a PC only update when it's necessary especially if it's a "new" release. When I got my Tuner from Bama I uploaded my tune and then immediately saved my stock tune to my PC so if I should ever lose my files I could at least reload my stock tune back to the Tuner.

The SF3 tuner does not automatically search for updates when you load the program there is a button to "automatically check for updates" if you don't click it then it won't check for updates. I checked for updates the day I purchased my SF3 Tuner from Bama and haven't checked for updates of firmware since nor do I plan on it and I can tell you I have changed my tune on a regular basis when I first got the tuner..

Started with 91 Perf /w Intake & axleback
Then tested the 91 Race Tune /w same mods
loaded stock tune to go do my Xpipe cause my laptop decided to crash the day before
then loaded 93 Race Tune
went back to forth between stock and 93 race tune to figure out my track apps numbers do get deleted when you load new tune..
now I just go between 93 Race Tune and 93 Race Cam tune only use the cam tune when I go to shows or if friends wanna hear it

Majority of Tuning error is on the user side whether it be they didnt bother to make sure it said successful when loading email tune or whether they didn't follow the procedure properly and people tend to find it's very easy to "blame" the tuner or company than to think they ****ed up..
Old 08-01-2013, 05:58 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

trade it in for a SCT..
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Also I've been using AM for years and they have always made sure I was a satisfied customer. I honestly can only think of one company that used to have customer service as good (they've declined) and that was Disney. That's not to say that there hasnt been the occasional problem, but AM has always fixed it to my satisfaction proactively.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shane780
most certainly looks like the deivce itself is defective, the bama rep told me that i had erased my tune files when i tried to do the update. The Diablo rep said the bama guy was crazy and that the custom tunes would be in there along with the diablo canned tunes, the device would go all the way up to the point where it says Updating diablo intune do not turn off the device will reset itself this may take several minutes, then it would crash and say diablo intune not responding.
It sounds like the intune.exe (auto updater) is crashing, which is not really an issue, as it has already loaded the updates to the inTune drive, and its just waiting for the tool to reboot and import them.

When you open the intune drive, do you see a file there called groupupdate.itfg?

Also, please email me a copy of the info.xml file from the intune drive on your PC so I can check it out. mlitsch @ diablosport.com

As for the custom tunes, i'm sure Am can simply email you the files, they are very simple to load to the tool, just save them to the intune drive and the tool will import them automatically.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Not going to bother with the tune. I searched the internet and found numerous sites, and tuning companies experiencing problems with there tuners. Apparently it makes the tuning guys furious when it happens. The devices automatically try and update and this corrupts files that are preloaded. It was originally a fix to stop the tuners from crashing when trying to revert the unit to stock, happened with sct in 2012 during a critical update, numerous people were left stranded with dead ecus. Eventually most tuners were able to help there customers and load stock tunes into the updated programs and restore most vehicles. Not all were so lucky, on some occasions an alarm would trip or the vehicle would momentarily cut power during a load and cause irreparable damage to the ecu and the customer would end up having to send away their ecu for repair. I suppose it is really my fault for not thoroughly researching the tuners before deciding to order them. Looking through old threads of people to scared to flash there ecus and not being able to use there vehicle sent a good spot of a realization, I don't want to be in that boat, cost me 700 bucks to figure that out, but better then a pissed off wife who cant use the car.
Most of those issues are pretty old now, and not related to the piece of hardware you have in your possession

Also, god forbid there was ever an issue, you don't spend a dime, we fix it here for free.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

You can search the internet and find anything you're looking for. It's enough to make one crawl under the bed and lay there in a fetal position until the world ends. Don't let some scare stories stop you though. I'm sure you'll find significantly more positive stories, seeing as MOST people here are probably running the tunes with no issues. Just seems like an awful waste to spend the money and then just give up because you read something on the internet without actually even trying to fix it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CMcNam
You can search the internet and find anything you're looking for. It's enough to make one crawl under the bed and lay there in a fetal position until the world ends. Don't let some scare stories stop you though. I'm sure you'll find significantly more positive stories, seeing as MOST people here are probably running the tunes with no issues. Just seems like an awful waste to spend the money and then just give up because you read something on the internet without actually even trying to fix it.
This is a great point. Its something everyone should keep in mind when dealing with the 'internet'.

Another thing to mention is, at least in relation to our own products, I spend lots of time looking for anyone reporting any issues with our tuners on the internet. At no time is the number of people having any sort of issue (user error, hardware issue, software issue) any more than 1% of the total number of tools we sold that month. it is VERY rare and unlikely to have an issue.

Also, it is much less common for anyone to come to the internet to tell everyone how well everything is working. When there is a problem, they share it all over the place, when it works, nobody says anything
That leads you to believe that everyone is having a problem, when in reality, it is a miniscule percentage of total users who may actually be having any issues.

it also depends on what you are searching. If you search 'dangerous teddy bears', you'll find enough info to make you wonder how you made it past infancy with all those teddy bears around.

Just food for thought....

Thanks

Quick Reply: American Muscle Review.