Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

About to perform some routine maintenance for my first time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Default About to perform some routine maintenance for my first time...

As the title says, I'm about to perform some routine maintenance on my '11 GT 6-speed. It's about to hit 50k miles, and I don't know what all has been done so I want to knock everything out at once while I have it in the air anyways. I plan on changing the fluid in the MT82, rear end, and oil and want to get some input from you guys...

For the oil, I'm going to do Mobil 1 10w-30 with a Motorcraft filter

Rear end was going to do Royal Purple 75w-140...do I need any friction modifier also or no?

Transmission I wanted to do Amsoil or Redline, but cannot find a local supplier so I planned on going with Royal Purple, just don't know what kind to get. I think synchromax, but idk. Also, any how-to guides on the transmission on here with pics?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Oil, I think the spec is 5W-20 or 5W-30

A lot of debate about whether or not RP needs friction modifier. It claims that you don't but I've heard people have added some when they notice noise in their rears after putting RP in without it. For the moment assume no friction modifier is needed (per what the bottle states) but just be prepared to get some if you have some noise.

As long as the tranny fluid you get is Mercon V compatible, you are fine. I'm assuming you are a manual transmission?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ion-fluid.html

Automatics are a little more complicated...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Thanks...I've seen a bunch of people running 10w30 with no issues. Still unsure is I'm going to do that or 5w20 honestly. Where can I get friction modifier?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

You can get friction modifier at any auto parts place. I know O'rielly's carries it.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you subscribe online as an Amsoil Preferred Buyer, you can mail order and typically get your subscription fee back (due to the lower prices) on your first, maybe 2nd order. I prefer Amsoil over RP.

When I order online, I usually have my order in 2-3 days.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Cool I'll have to look into that...

How much is a gallon of 5w20 as a preferred customer? $40 is the normal price, which is pretty expensive to me...
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

The factory Motorcraft fluids are (despite a lot of internet noise) excellent quality - particularly the gear oil and diff fluid.

Your 2011 manual transmission DOES NOT take a Mercon V type of fluid - that ended with the 2010's. You need a proper gear oil for the Getrag transmission. If you don't want to use the Motorcraft fluids, then do a search on this or another forum to find a whole raft of alternatives to the Motorcraft fluids listed in your owner's manual. Royal Purple in the transmission has not established a good reputation, although Amsoil, Redline and BG Synchroshift II all show good results.

Last edited by JAJ; 07-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses...

I've done plenty of searches and all I've found is extremely mixed reviews, mostly leaning towards Amsoil or Redline, although I am still confused as to which exact fluid from each company I should use.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Just found Redline MTL on Summit Racing...I think that's what has been suggested for the transmission right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-50204/overview/
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
Just found Redline MTL on Summit Racing...I think that's what has been suggested for the transmission right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-50204/overview/
Yeah, that's the stuff! I couldn't believe that 70W oil could be used in the tranny, but I have heard from more than 1 person that it is great stuff. When I do need to change mine, I will go with Redline for sure.

For the engine oil, 5W-20 is the factory recommendation. With that being said, I have been told by multiple people that 10W-30 is the way to go. The 5W-20 was used by Ford to get emissions and fuel economy ratings. There is one thread on this forum where the guy claims his oil consumption went down significantly when he switched to 10W-30. Brand preference is just that, personal preference. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, and Motorcraft are all exceptional quality oils.

I am curious to see what others have to say about friction modifier. I personally would use it.

Quick Reply: About to perform some routine maintenance for my first time...