Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best exhaust sound (imho) in 15 mins

Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default back pressure

WHoa now.. this is not a 2 stroke. Ill ask you this, what sort of exhaust restriction is on four stroke air craft ? NONE. 4 stroke engines do not need back pressure, a 2 stroke engine is a whole different ball game and you worry about back pressure then. The BOSS quad exhaust by passes the muffler system at wide open throttle and shoots the exhaust out the side pipes with less back pressure, thats why it makes 5 more horsepower.

The exhaust system on the GT is awesome. Don't change it unless you want to for sound purposes. Long tube headers provide a gain, but not as much as they do on most engines with poorly designed exhaust systems. The long tube headers have a benefit over the stock system, not primarly because of flow, but due to sound oscillating in the long tubes which provides a type of balance or "exhaust scavenging"

5 horsepower is slightly over a 1% power increase.

On an engine dyno, test are done with open long tube headers, because they show the greatest gains.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
YQ_

Originally Posted by P51C
Hard to tell if you're trolling or not. Your post reads like you're 14 years old. Straight pipes, really?

Carbon dioxide isn't by nature a toxin, genius, it's a natural part of the atmosphere. However, it is fatal in high concentrations (hypercapnia) and the affects on attention, coordination and mental capacity at pre-fatal levels are well established. Hell, oxygen in high concentrations can kill, too.

As if this isn't reason enough, in case I'm not clear, this is a dumb idea and makes you and your buddy look like punks.
Well, then this is not the case, it is safe to do this and drive the car outside I guess.

Why is it a dumb way? as I said this is in my opinion and just wanted to share this with you. It doesn't need much time, free and it's way louder than aftermarket exhaust systems.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM
YQ_

Originally Posted by sweger
I say let him try it...natural selection at its finest and most technologically advanced
LOL.

With the C5 we were in, didn't feel any harm at all when breathing. (Windows rolled down + Idle + WOTs for like 30 mins)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 AM
YQ_

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
"What kind of exhaust do you have?"

"An exhaust leak! Best exhaust ever!"

While I can't say I've heard what it sounds like, I can't imagine it would sound very good. There's more to exhaust sound then just making it noisy. Your mufflers are where you get the tone. And like others said, that's a little far forward for it to be dumping, it'd be basically right under your window.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I expect on a Honda forum.
I don't think people on the road are going to ask you that question.

I do agree with you, a muffler differs from other mufflers with its tone, but that C5 wanted me to just do this. But I am worried about the warranty. If I did that I will be posting a video, but as you said, it could sound worse than an aftermarket but definitely louder.

LOL it's just a quick, cheap way nevertheless.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 AM
YQ_

Originally Posted by calistang05
Why not just spend the some money and get a side exshaut set up if you want loud next to your ears. Says you got a 2012 GT so I know you got to have some money and its to nice of a car to get cheap with mods.
You get stopped here for Roush Axle-backs, if you want papers to avoid paying fines / get your car impounded, you will have to buy it from the Ford agency here. (For $1,220.. now that's with the discount)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default 1200 for exhaust

uhhh.. thats lots for some mufflers. Pulled over for axle backs ? Hrmm I've never met a cop that didnt have straight pipes on his harley. Sounds like a jealous neighborhood.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
YQ_

Originally Posted by Shane780
uhhh.. thats lots for some mufflers. Pulled over for axle backs ? Hrmm I've never met a cop that didnt have straight pipes on his harley. Sounds like a jealous neighborhood.
Yeah its unbelievable, LOL and I still don't know why..
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YQ_
You get stopped here for Roush Axle-backs, if you want papers to avoid paying fines / get your car impounded, you will have to buy it from the Ford agency here. (For $1,220.. now that's with the discount)
Man, I thought living in California and driving around with SLP's made me worry about getting a ticket I hate to drive in your part of town. Lol
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
YQ_

Originally Posted by calistang05
Man, I thought living in California and driving around with SLP's made me worry about getting a ticket I hate to drive in your part of town. Lol
LOL, you live in a place where American muscle is appreciated. if you drive with loudmouths here you will get your car impounded for a month.

Certificates alone are more expensive than the exhaust system
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Stock Boss exhaust or gt500 axlebacks are OEM equipment, surely you don't need paperwork for that.

Having electric cutouts installed so you can close them when around cops or the "easily annoyed" is a better alternative to "extra bolts and a coat hanger." Your insurance isn't going to cover anything if the rear pipe backs out and train wrecks the rear of the car when it hits the ground at 60. Much safer.

Sleeper_GT had a JBA catless H pipe and was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, and every clamp on his car was as tight as he could get it but it still leaked. Its not a 30 minute thing, its a drive it for two weeks and develop migraines type of thing.

Last edited by clowe1965; 08-22-2013 at 09:23 PM.