Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

exhaust decisions on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default exhaust decisions on 5.0

so ive decided on longtubes and catted x... kooks to be exact with their green cats so i dont throw a cel and wont run into problems. Ive always been a borla atak system fan bought thought i could try something different.

questions here: 1: i know the 2011s come with stock mufflers AND resonators. If i get a cat back system, will it delete the resonators and just have whatever comes with the cat back? on the flipside, what if i just get axle backs, how much would those stock resonators take from the sound/power?

2) i want a deep, throaty, loud exhaust note. ive looked at magnaflow competition catback, flowmaster outlaw cat back, roush axle backs, or slp axle backs. What would be the loudest, throatiest tone and sound? Any other systems that would produce a louder sound with this setup?

Im interested in knowing more about the stock resonator though. if anyone has any insight or videos that would be great.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I went with Kooks headers, off road x-pipe and went with SLP Axle back. I still have the resonators installed and holy hell is it loud. At idle you wouldn't think there was any exhaust work done but at WOT you will pierce anyones ear that's around. It's loud and throaty for sure. I am actually looking at changing from SLP and going with the Roush exhaust and eventually i will replace the resonators with 3" stainless pype. I will try to get some video of mine this weekend and post up so you can hear it.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
I went with Kooks headers, off road x-pipe and went with SLP Axle back. I still have the resonators installed and holy hell is it loud. At idle you wouldn't think there was any exhaust work done but at WOT you will pierce anyones ear that's around. It's loud and throaty for sure. I am actually looking at changing from SLP and going with the Roush exhaust and eventually i will replace the resonators with 3" stainless pype. I will try to get some video of mine this weekend and post up so you can hear it.
awesome. yours will always be louder considering the offroad pipe
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I had Roush axlebacks on my 5.0 with the rest of the stock exhaust system and it was the perfect sound for me. I like my exhaust to be loud and it wasn't over bearing.

I've never heard it in person but people have said that the roush axle backs and offroad X or H pipe is overkill and way too loud.

I haven't been around the forums in awhile but I know before you could pick up a used set of roushs pretty easily.

I went round and round about which exhaust to use on the 5.0 because I wanted that old school muscle car sound and I think the roushs were the closest you could get.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheYeti
I had Roush axlebacks on my 5.0 with the rest of the stock exhaust system and it was the perfect sound for me. I like my exhaust to be loud and it wasn't over bearing.

I've never heard it in person but people have said that the roush axle backs and offroad X or H pipe is overkill and way too loud.

I haven't been around the forums in awhile but I know before you could pick up a used set of roushs pretty easily.

I went round and round about which exhaust to use on the 5.0 because I wanted that old school muscle car sound and I think the roushs were the closest you could get.
yeah, im for sure sold on kooks longtubes and catted x pipe. its just a matter of what will get me the deepest tone out of the 4. Every video i look it they vary so much i cant tell, and most videos suck.

One video, the roush's were LOUD and i was like "yeah im ordering them!" then the next video they were quiet. same with the magnaflow competition..flowmaster ive always been weary on.....SLP's are just another resonator so im guessing that would be the loudest
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
yeah, im for sure sold on kooks longtubes and catted x pipe. its just a matter of what will get me the deepest tone out of the 4. Every video i look it they vary so much i cant tell, and most videos suck.

One video, the roush's were LOUD and i was like "yeah im ordering them!" then the next video they were quiet. same with the magnaflow competition..flowmaster ive always been weary on.....SLP's are just another resonator so im guessing that would be the loudest
yeah it just depends on the video quality. Ive seen videos on youtube where catless and muffler delete exhaust systems sound tame.

Its hard unless you hear it in person but my next door neighbor said he used to use my exhaust as his alarm clock in the morning.

Also the good thing about those Roushs is that I never had any drone whatsoever
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

yeah it just depends on the video quality. Ive seen videos on youtube where catless and muffler delete exhaust systems sound tame.

Its hard unless you hear it in person but my next door neighbor said he used to use my exhaust as his alarm clock in the morning.

Also the good thing about those Roushs is that I never had any drone whatsoever
interesting... im just thinking that if im going with headers back, why just get axle backs and keep some of the stock piping? (end of x pipe to new axle back). you know what i mean? either way im having a hard time deciding which route to go
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I know of some for sale and they can be had for less than the asking price

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...axle-back.html
Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Stage_3

Default Kooks etc.

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
so ive decided on longtubes and catted x... kooks to be exact with their green cats so i dont throw a cel and wont run into problems. Ive always been a borla atak system fan bought thought i could try something different.

questions here: 1: i know the 2011s come with stock mufflers AND resonators. If i get a cat back system, will it delete the resonators and just have whatever comes with the cat back? on the flipside, what if i just get axle backs, how much would those stock resonators take from the sound/power?

2) i want a deep, throaty, loud exhaust note. ive looked at magnaflow competition catback, flowmaster outlaw cat back, roush axle backs, or slp axle backs. What would be the loudest, throatiest tone and sound? Any other systems that would produce a louder sound with this setup?

Im interested in knowing more about the stock resonator though. if anyone has any insight or videos that would be great.
I just had Kooks long tube headers, offroad X (no cats) and kept the resonators with stock mufflers installed on my 2013 Roush. At idle a touch louder than stock and when you get into it, they sound great IMO. The neighbors do not complain!

I also had Breenspeed do the work and tune it. What is really important is the dyno numbers. The torgue jumps to 450 at 3K RPM and at 4K through 7100--506 in torque. The more open your exhaust, the greater the loss in torgue.

I think it is a great combination. You get sound and power without waking the dead.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I just had Kooks long tube headers, offroad X (no cats) and kept the resonators with stock mufflers installed on my 2013 Roush. At idle a touch louder than stock and when you get into it, they sound great IMO. The neighbors do not complain!

I also had Breenspeed do the work and tune it. What is really important is the dyno numbers. The torgue jumps to 450 at 3K RPM and at 4K through 7100--506 in torque. The more open your exhaust, the greater the loss in torgue.

I think it is a great combination. You get sound and power without waking the dead.
yeah those are good numbers. you are running offroad though, so i need to run the catted. therefore, i will have to choose an axle back or cat back. it would be too quiet for my tastes

i would be interested in hearing them though, any vids?

Quick Reply: exhaust decisions on 5.0