Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 to a Boss 5.0??

Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Boss GT 500 etc.

I've driven all 3 and many far surpassed and in between.

I bought the GT because it was the only option available with the automatic, otherwise I most likely would have bought either. Both are great cars.
I prefer an auto over the standard, most of my vehicles have been standards, and the new autos just plain rock.

If I was on an oval track I would want the Boss, If I was at a Car show I would take the GT 500. At the Drag strip I want the automatic, its hands down better. For a Daily Driver I want the automatic.

That being said, the BOSS is an oval track car and you can't compare it to a supercharged GT, there is just too much differnence. The BOSS is a sweet ride and would make just as good a daily driver as the others, as long as you don't mind the clutch work.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM
SeanW

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Nice LS Sean. Yes, the heads are a different casting and the LS runs Corsas on a 19x10 rear wheel. The rear seat delete is also a very notable upgrade for the LS. Corsas are BIG $$$ and I've seen people having problems with tire separation in the center tread area on the Corsas. Switching to Pilot Super sports when the time comes, which won't be long. These tires don't last for s*#t.
Again, Beautiful LS!!

For those that don't think the Boss is worth the extra money, well you have a right to your own opinion, but until you set your a*# in a Boss and drive it, your opinion doesn't carry much weight. I've owned a 13 GT premium with track pack, all the bells and whistles, plus many mods. The GT was awesome and I loved it but moving on to a Boss was well worth it! Especially since I got a good deal on mine buying it used with 2400 miles on the OD.
Thanks man! I have 7000 miles on my car and the tires are all cracked and need to be replaced BIG time so chances are I will be switching to the PSS's soon lol. Those GHIG Boss' are SWEET! I saw a couple of them at Carlisle and the color really pops in the sun!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

My intention is "NOT" to knock any car whether GT 500 or Boss 302, etc. They are all great! I'm just mentioning some different alternatives to buying Ford's versions of high performance Mustangs, especially for those who can't afford the price of those cars! You don't have to go so far in debt to have a nice car. As I have mentioned, a low mileage "CLEAN" GT with the addition of a Roush supercharger can get you a pretty quick car without spending a lot of money as compared to going down to the dealer and buying a new GT 500 or Boss 302! A big payment every month can take the fun out of owning cool cars!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Nice LS Sean. Yes, the heads are a different casting and the LS runs Corsas on a 19x10 rear wheel. The rear seat delete is also a very notable upgrade for the LS. Corsas are BIG $$$ and I've seen people having problems with tire separation in the center tread area on the Corsas. Switching to Pilot Super sports when the time comes, which won't be long. These tires don't last for s*#t.
Again, Beautiful LS!!

For those that don't think the Boss is worth the extra money, well you have a right to your own opinion, but until you set your a*# in a Boss and drive it, your opinion doesn't carry much weight. I've owned a 13 GT premium with track pack, all the bells and whistles, plus many mods. The GT was awesome and I loved it but moving on to a Boss was well worth it! Especially since I got a good deal on mine buying it used with 2400 miles on the OD.
I agree with you. there is no substitute for personal experience. Boss's are great. Don't have to mess with them too much. Just tune em up and drive. It will do everything you ask it to do.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
My intention is "NOT" to knock any car whether GT 500 or Boss 302, etc. They are all great! I'm just mentioning some different alternatives to buying Ford's versions of high performance Mustangs, especially for those who can't afford the price of those cars! You don't have to go so far in debt to have a nice car. As I have mentioned, a low mileage "CLEAN" GT with the addition of a Roush supercharger can get you a pretty quick car without spending a lot of money as compared to going down to the dealer and buying a new GT 500 or Boss 302! A big payment every month can take the fun out of owning cool cars!

I see both side of your comparison, and I agree on both sides of your comparison. Forgive me, I'm about to go into a rather deep thought as I sum up the points of both sides, if not for you, at least for myself.

To add to the advantages of buying a Boss instead of building one from a GT, the heart and soul of the Boss is the Roadrunner engine. To convert a Coyote engine into a Roadrunner requires rebuilding the short block and porting and polishing the heads. Boss heads can be bought from FRPP, but they are not cheap. Just under $3000 for the head pair I believe, and then you still have to buy the upper works o the valve train: cams, last adjusters, springs, etc.
In the short block, for the price of a Boss rotating assembly, I believe you can almost buy a true forged assembly. A factory stock Roadrunner engine comes straight to you with race grade parts; those forged Mahle pistons and Manley conrods. The Camaro guys definitely give our Boss a nod because they know that the only way to get race grade internals in their cars is to rebuild the engine.

As for the rest of the car, unfortunately, Ford didn't do in the suspension department. Of course, the stock Boss suspension is superior to the GT suspension, but there is a ton of room for improvement.
In this area, you're right, buying a low mileage GT and spending your money on suspension upgrades will make your GT handling superior to a Boss' handling. Hell, if you throw enough money into the GT's suspension, you can beat a Boss on the track even with the stock 420BHP Coyote engine.

But when push comes to shove and you throw equal amounts of money at upgrading both a Boss suspension and a GT suspension, that is where the Boss' 444BHP engine shines. Revving up to 7500RPM, the Boss will have the advantage lap for lap, especially exiting corners and the higher red line allows you to stay in gear longer.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I see both side of your comparison, and I agree on both sides of your comparison. Forgive me, I'm about to go into a rather deep thought as I sum up the points of both sides, if not for you, at least for myself......

But when push comes to shove and you throw equal amounts of money at upgrading both a Boss suspension and a GT suspension, that is where the Boss' 444BHP engine shines. Revving up to 7500RPM, the Boss will have the advantage lap for lap, especially exiting corners and the higher red line allows you to stay in gear longer.
Thanx for the education, sincerely! From your understanding of the Boss 5.0L 302 engine, where would a person be if he wanted to put a Roush supercharger on a Boss 302? I have found that I'm in love with supercharged Mustangs as the little 4.6L engine in my '08 is putting out H.P. in the Boss range with no downside so far, while a 5.0L with a Roush supercharger is running at 575 H.P. I may have it all wrong, but... keeping in mind that I have no interest in running around a track or killing myself (or others) racing through the mountains, it seems to me [U]the best of both worlds would be the Boss 302 engine with its superior internals, heads, etc. as you mentioned.... setup to run with a Roush supercharger. I think if I had that setup I could do quite nicely without a GT 500! LOL! It's too bad Ford didn't make the Coyote Boss engine in the larger GT 500 displacement with a supercharger! Yikes... that would be nice!

What do you think?

For those who have never had the opportunity to drive the little 4.6L with a Roush Supercharger on it.... it is quite surprising how strong it runs! I compared it to a '08 Shelby and it had "lesser torque of course" but, I was still very happy with the comparison.

Buying a really clean, low mileage '05 to '08 GT and putting a Roush supercharger on it is very nice way to go for those who want a quick Mustang & have a limited budget! Finding a clean, low mileage car to use would be the tricky part.... but not impossible! I may have this one for sale already supercharged.... if I decide I can't live without a new Boss 302 or a Shelby! Of course it just turned 10K miles, so it's almost worn out... although it still has some new car leather smell! LOL!

Heck, you only live once, and at 71 I'm in the spending stage of life... not the saving stage! After all, I don't want to leave too much money for my kids! I still have a few more years of driving sideways in blue smoke before I trade my Mustang for a walker or Supercharged 5.0L with an automatic! LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-09-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

If you ever decide to supercharge the boss, the engine can handle 800+ rwhp compared to the GT's 650 or so
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Great info in this article.
Detailed roadrunner stuff.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...2/viewall.html
Old 09-24-2013, 04:55 PM
LaMotta
Former Sponsor

Supercharged Boss is the end all! lol. I would take a Boss with a Procharger kit, preferably a d-1 or f-series or maybe even the new i-1 over a new roush/shelby any day. 8k rpms and smooth power delivery all the way through the powerband for the ftw! or one up it with a twin turbo set up to really take it to overkill levels!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

It's all preference.

I'm a huge fan of NA engines, I have been for a long time. I was first bit by the bug listening to a Ferrari 355 at full chat, there is something about a high-revving NA engine. For me, there is something special about motors that can rev to astronomically high revs...they seem like they are built better. I mean, getting a V8 to rev to 6,000RPM seems kids play, but getting a V8 to rev to 8,000RPM means the company had to do some serious engineering.

I remember an old MM&FF article where a guy bought a 66 Fastback and installed a 5.0HO motor out of a Fox body car. He did a **** ton of work to the engine and it had a 7800RPM redline...that seemed awesome to me.

When Ford came out with the DOHC aluminum motor in the SN95 Cobra with its 6,800RPM redline, that seemed exotic for an american car in the 90s. Then Ford went back to lower-reving engines.

When Ford announced the RoadRunner motor with its 7,500RPM redline it was a return to form for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the Boss 302, so I bought the GT.

I'm waiting to see what the new Mustang has in store before I decide to either save for a new GT or buy a 2012 Boss. While the Boss isn't fiscally smart as far as money vs. power, that RoadRunner engine has some sort of spell on me.

Keep your lower reving supercharged engines (nothing wrong with it), I'll be one of the odd-guys out.