Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

#8 cylinder plug issues-no tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
I would ask your mechanic to check compression on all your cylinders before you decide to get your car tuned. Don't just buy a random mail order tune. Go with a tuner that request to see data-logs on your car before changing any parameters. This way he can see if everything is working properly and if your car is safe to tune. RESEARCH before you mod! Good luck!
Yes, my Ford mechanic checked compression before he did the work and afterwards. The tuner I was getting was recommended by several people and ones that race their stangs. A Bama SF3/x3 from American Muscle. The ones that have 3 custom tunes and tunes for life also warranty against #8 cylinder problems. It also has 100 reviews and 4.9 out of 5 stars. I am going to take it to another Ford dealership and see what their diagnostics pull up on my car now that the #8 cylinder spark plug was replaced. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Two5.0's
By the way, even though I appreciate your input, are you a mechanic?
I was at one point in my life but have since moved on from that profession. But I still have and build Mustangs. One of my past builds made it into a magazine for how rare it was. I still stand behind my statement that your mechanic is blowing smoke. Which CAI do you have?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM
debit_free_2010

I'm with the other guys on NOT TUNING your car until you really figure out what #8 looks like.

What did the plug look like when the tech pulled it and you really need to look at the cylinder with a borescope and perform a compression and leak down check on #8 to show what condition it's in.

Unfortunately once #8 misfires the damage is likely already done. It kills the rings.

Hopefully that hasn't happened.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Yes, my Ford mechanic checked compression before he did the work and afterwards. The tuner I was getting was recommended by several people and ones that race their stangs. A Bama SF3/x3 from American Muscle. The ones that have 3 custom tunes and tunes for life also warranty against #8 cylinder problems. It also has 100 reviews and 4.9 out of 5 stars. I am going to take it to another Ford dealership and see what their diagnostics pull up on my car now that the #8 cylinder spark plug was replaced. Thanks.
We are only trying to help. Bama has a good reputation. Just make sure they look at data-logs on your car before they tune it. They can talk you through on how to data-log. If your rings look anything like the picture posted above and you just slap a tune in, then Ford will definitely deny a warranty claim. The new engine will be on you or Bama. I'm all for tuning but just make sure that it is safe to tune before you do it. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
We are only trying to help. Bama has a good reputation. Just make sure they look at data-logs on your car before they tune it. They can talk you through on how to data-log. If your rings look anything like the picture posted above and you just slap a tune in, then Ford will definitely deny a warranty claim. The new engine will be on you or Bama. I'm all for tuning but just make sure that it is safe to tune before you do it. Good luck!
I know you guys are trying to help. This whole thing just makes me sick. I have wanted this car since I was 15! I am now 47! I did my research and put the CAI on and the Borla axlebacks to make it sound better and was told it would help with gas mileage a little and some performance. I just can't believe with only 10,500 miles on my car this would happen! Last Thursday was the only day that it hesitated that bad trying to get into interstate traffic (No service light even came on) When this happened I took it straight to Ford. From what the Ford tech said, the spark plug was bad. I asked to see it and he had already turned it over to parts so it could be sent to Ford. I have an appointment with another Ford tomorrow to get a second opinion. My husband is gone a lot and this has really pissed him off this has happened to a new car. So, what I need to tell service is to actually look into that cylinder and see if the rings have any damage and to run a true compression test on it? Again, I really do appreciate your help. I used to help my father work on cars, but that was carburetor days! To much junk on these new ones.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by scottmach
I was at one point in my life but have since moved on from that profession. But I still have and build Mustangs. One of my past builds made it into a magazine for how rare it was. I still stand behind my statement that your mechanic is blowing smoke. Which CAI do you have?
It is a Modular Motorsport Racing CAI kit. Good for you about your stang being in a magazine! Which one? I know that took a lot of hard work, time, patience and a lot of $$!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

It is a Modular Motorsport Racing CAI kit. Good for you about your stang being in a magazine! Which one? I know that took a lot of hard work, time, patience and a lot of $$!
Thanks. Here is the article.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...ustang_mach_1/

Can you post a link of this CAI? I've never heard of it.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Have the stock CAI put back on the car until you know for sure the car is safe to tune. Then you add a CAI with a tune simultaneously. Whoever told you to put an aftermarket CAI on your car without the proper tuning, may have cost you an engine. Not trying to scare you but this may be the case. That same person that told you to put a CAI on and that it will save you gas mileage, knows NOTHING about these cars. If these cars had came with a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor, then you could've put a CAI on without a tune and the car would adjust to the proper air fuel ratios. A MAF sensor does not work like that. Don't give up on your dream car. These are great cars but a different animal for sure. You just happened to get bad advise. For now, have the stock CAI put back on. If your number 8 cylinder is not damaged and your plugs and O2 sensors are working properly, then car should run fine with the stock CAI.

Last edited by Deranged2013; 11-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Never heard of MMR (Modular Motorsports Racing). I found very little information about the GT CAI other than an initial announcement in 2010 but then nothing else to support it. I also cannot find it on their website. I found one for a V6, but that's not the same...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-0-cai-483187/

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/ toward the bottom of the page.

I wonder if they stopped making the GT one it due to problems? Just because a CAI doesn't require a tune doesn't mean it's 100% safe.

Anything that increases air flow can potentially cause the car to run leaner if not compensated for. Most OEM's run everything with a tolerance of +/-20% If you push that limit to say +/-5% then you will likely over-run that limit and cause problems on occasion (like a misfire).
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by Derf00
Never heard of MMR (Modular Motorsports Racing). I found very little information about the GT CAI other than an initial announcement in 2010 but then nothing else to support it. I also cannot find it on their website. I found one for a V6, but that's not the same...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-0-cai-483187/

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/ toward the bottom of the page.

I wonder if they stopped making the GT one it due to problems? Just because a CAI doesn't require a tune doesn't mean it's 100% safe.

Anything that increases air flow can potentially cause the car to run leaner if not compensated for. Most OEM's run everything with a tolerance of +/-20% If you push that limit to say +/-5% then you will likely over-run that limit and cause problems on occasion (like a misfire).
When I purchased the CAI from them in late 2012, on their site they had them and the dyno testing with it. I just search and found that they have sold them on eBay also in their store. If you pull up their feedback, it will list everything they have sold. CAI's for the Mustangs and Camaro's. I also see they have a V-6 one on their now and it says last one?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/modularmotorsports1877modpowr

The last one they sold on there for the Mustang 5.0 was June 18th I see. I called them yesterday and told them my issues. Of course they were going on that the CAI of theirs did not cause what happened and they back their product.

Quick Reply: #8 cylinder plug issues-no tuner!