Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

#8 cylinder plug issues-no tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Have the stock CAI put back on the car until you know for sure the car is safe to tune. Then you add a CAI with a tune simultaneously. Whoever told you to put an aftermarket CAI on your car without the proper tuning, may have cost you an engine. Not trying to scare you but this may be the case. That same person that told you to put a CAI on and that it will save you gas mileage, knows NOTHING about these cars. If these cars had came with a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor, then you could've put a CAI on without a tune and the car would adjust to the proper air fuel ratios. A MAF sensor does not work like that. Don't give up on your dream car. These are great cars but a different animal for sure. You just happened to get bad advise. For now, have the stock CAI put back on. If your number 8 cylinder is not damaged and your plugs and O2 sensors are working properly, then car should run fine with the stock CAI.
Why do they make CAI that do not need tuning for Mustangs? Airaide makes them, BBK, SR performace and so on. Read their features. Look at their feedback for them. Many have no tunes and they get better gas mileage and feel some difference.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-2011gt.html

Since Ford put in the new spark plug I can tell a big difference. I am taking it to another Ford this morning to get them to pull the cylinder to check it and make sure the rings are okay etc. I appreciate all the advice, but right now I am getting to many comflicting opinions. My husbands 87 Gt has all kinds of mods and nothing has gone wrong. I put just a CAI and Borla axlebacks and get this problem. Aggravating!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Two5.0's
Why do they make CAI that do not need tuning for Mustangs? Airaide makes them, BBK, SR performace and so on. Read their features. Look at their feedback for them. Many have no tunes and they get better gas mileage and feel some difference.

Since Ford put in the new spark plug I can tell a big difference. I am taking it to another Ford this morning to get them to pull the cylinder to check it and make sure the rings are okay etc. I appreciate all the advice, but right now I am getting to many comflicting opinions. My husbands 87 Gt has all kinds of mods and nothing has gone wrong. I put just a CAI and Borla axlebacks and get this problem. Aggravating!
You are correct. They do make NO tune CAIs. The coyote engine runs lean to begin with on the stock tune. If you do anything that may cause it run any leaner, you are running in dangerous territory. Not sure what caused your car to foul the plugs, but If it happened to me and all that I had on my car was a NO tune CAI and a set of aftermarket axle-backs. Well I know damn sure that the axle-backs didn't cause it. So through process of elimination, that narrows it down to the CAI. Listen, I'm very sorry you are having these issues. I hope everything is resolved with the new plugs. At least when you pick your tuner, have them look at data-logs on your car, so that they can see if your car is running into lean conditions with your current mods. I will end with a better note. When you do get your car tuned, get a CAI that requires a tune, ie. Steeda, JLT, or Airaid. Get the tune dialed in and you will love how your car runs then. Good luck to ya. Oh yeah, may as well get you an Off road mid pipe also. That will make the biggest difference in power.

Last edited by Deranged2013; 11-06-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I know MMR very well. They sell some of the cheapest parts/motors in the Modular world. But I've seen first hand many issues with their motors. And they never own up to it being their fault. Hopefully this turns out well for you. I did find the part on their website.
http://www.modularmustangracing.com....?pid=502&cid=1
I find it ironic you're the first person I've ever seen using it and I'm on every major Mustang site.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Two5.0's

Originally Posted by scottmach
I know MMR very well. They sell some of the cheapest parts/motors in the Modular world. But I've seen first hand many issues with their motors. And they never own up to it being their fault. Hopefully this turns out well for you. I did find the part on their website.
http://www.modularmustangracing.com....?pid=502&cid=1
I find it ironic you're the first person I've ever seen using it and I'm on every major Mustang site.
If you go to their site on eBay and look at all the feedback, you will find a lot of people who have bought them. I am going to try and contact the ones who bought the CAI from them with the 5.0's and see if they had any issues.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...30.m2531.l4585

Just to ask, what makes different CAI different from each other? I compared my CAI from MMR to the BBK no tune and I don't see much difference? I nearly got the BBK one. Now I wish I didn't waste the money and got this one after what I have been hearing! Also, good news. When I took the car to the other dealership to get the second opinion, they asked who was my mechanic that found the problem? I told him the name and he said that he is the best there is around here and knows his stuff and they wish they could have him at their store. He is very meticulous at what he does and makes sure he covers his bases. They said he is a Senior Master Mechanic with 30 years experience. If he said I just had a bad spark plug and everything checks out fine, I would take it at his word.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

There's no difference between one CAI or another. Honestly the best one I've seen is the factory one. It's been proven there are no gains from any of the aftermarket CAI's, even the ones that do require a tune.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
There's no difference between one CAI or another. Honestly the best one I've seen is the factory one. It's been proven there are no gains from any of the aftermarket CAI's, even the ones that do require a tune.
Link?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I have the Airaid CAI, and it is wonderful.
The Airaid can be used without a tune only if you leave the sleeve inset inside the main tube.
That sleeve insert restricts air flow to match what the stock intake box flows.

If you remove the insert sleeve, you must obtain a tune to correct for the additional air flow.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Why do they make CAI that do not need tuning for Mustangs?
Because people will buy them... just like companies make fancy throttle body adapters and such.

The 5.0 already has a cold air intake... a proper one.. that draws air from outside the engine bay.

The open aftermarket ones are exposed to air much warmer than the ambient temperature.. Since the flow of the stock air box is already adequate, all you are doing with an aftermarket is making it look pretty and not much else.

The CAI does nothing. It's a tune that increases HP. The claims about gas milage are complete rubbish. Adding a no-tune CAI is an appearance mod, nothing more. Adding a tune-CAI without a tune.. is a good way to mess up your car.

This is a BOSS 302 LEGUNA SECA!!>. Notice.. NO CAI. After all the trouble they went through.. I doubt they forgot to add it. They didn't add one because the stock box was the same or better.

Last edited by MrSandman; 11-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I had a 93 race tune with stock intake, then got a steeda CAI and had it retuned and noticed an improvement in power and sound. Worthwhile imo.

I do wish the steeda had a sleeve i could put in to be able to return to the stock tune if needed though, so mabe airaid has an advantage in that aspect.

Last edited by Andy13186; 11-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
..... had it retuned and noticed an improvement in power .....
So you got a better tune... Put your stock air box on with that tune and I doubt you'll notice a difference.

A CAI without supporting mods (like a Boss intake and headers) just doesn't do anything. You are still limited by how much air can flow through the stock engine. With the 05-10's, the stock air box was restrictive. The 11+ is not. It meets or exceeds the engine's needs for air. The tuners even say this.. the only thing they can claim is a CAI makes air uptake "more efficient".... not that it allows more air into the engine. You'd have to open up the whole air intake system and such to allow that extra air from a CAI into the engine.

It's like giving you a bigger mouth without increasing the size of your digestive system You can fit more food in your mouth.. but its just gonna sit there till your able to swallow it ;P