Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Disappointed in Bama tune

Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Also, what kind of gas do you guys use? I've been using 91 octane Shell, but want to try something else to rule out gas....
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I run 91, and my car does great no issues. If your still having issues I would look for a good tuner that knows how to custom tune Mustangs. That WILL always work better in the long run Bama is nice but very conservative so nothing goes wrong.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am currently using my 93 custom tune from Brenspeed. I get 93 octane fuel at either Quicktrip or Chevron and haven't experienced any issues.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Thanks for the info man. Ya, looking at my logs, its showing 18 spark at WOT while seeing 5-6 knock. I am in touch with Don at Bama performance, he left me a message today. It very well could be that my last like 5 tanks of gas have been bad, or a problem with my car. But like I said, with the stock tune, the car pulls fine and feels great. I have no doubt that BAMA will do everything they can to help out, the purpose wasn't to bash them or anything, had great results in the past, just trying to get some help with the tune.
Buy some Torco Accelerator and run that for about 100 miles and then data-log again. If your logs look good, then it's bad fuel.

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html
Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

" Bama tune" ?? didn't know your president was into performance cars

sorry bad humour and can't help myself
Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Also, what kind of gas do you guys use? I've been using 91 octane Shell, but want to try something else to rule out gas....
i use shell 93 octane

what is the status of your sound tube?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 PM
huntiez
1st Gear Member

I wish I didnt live in cali only run the 91 tune but no problems but make sure u fill that paper work out right I made one mistake and my car ran like **** but bama took care of me
Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Shell, Exxon or preferably Chevron 93 octane. I doubt it's a fuel issue. A slight ticking of the lifters is something that can happen when running $#!tty fuel on hot days. I switched to a 93 Brenspeed tune from an 87 (I forget the point of me asking for an 87) and it almost eliminated the problem. It is NOT a knock. Likely valve clatter. Think I'm going to schedule a dyno tune with Brenspeed to get it tuned perfect.

From what you're explaining, it sounds like you have an issue with the car running lean. Which means too much air/not enough fuel. It will do fine until it gets to upper RPM's and then trip a light and feel underpowered. Your engine derated at that point to save itself.

Check:

MAF sensor plugged in/clean/functioning properly. Check around few threads about cleaning a MAF sensor.

Breather tube from cam cover to intake is whole. (If the 5.0 has one. It's got to have a way to maintain crankcase pressure, but I'm a 4.6 guy.)

Intake tube is whole and not leaking at throttle body, filter, or in between.

Last and most obvious, ensure that Bama/Brenspeed/Steeda/WHOMEVER has the complete and correct list of ALL aftermarket go fast parts installed AND that they have the proper codes from your ECM if you have gotten a factory update at somepoint. My 06 had been reflashed at some point with updated protocols and that rendered my first set of Brenspeed tunes defunct. A simple phone call checked this, but you need to make sure your tuner knows whatever they need to know.

Part of that is your job, but what you really need is an experience tuner to ask the right questions.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM
brianong18

OP, I see you are in Colorado. What is your elevation? Could be an issue with that. Just a possibility but that should cause you to run richer I would think so I'm not sure why your car is knocking. Could be timing like a previous poster said.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Ever get this worked out? I ran a datalog tonight on partial pulls and one WOT pull and I'm also getting a lot of knock sensor retard readings running the 93 octane performance tune. Spark is dropping to 21-22 or so. Going to try to add fuel and/or reduce timing. Also my lambda shows 0.84, I know on my old 06 GT it was 0.89 or so but of course that is a different engine. On the 06 GT it ran 26.5 or so spark solid, on my 2011 GT it is jumping all over the place likely due to the knock sensor backing it down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed in Bama tune