Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What mods can I do and keep warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You can do any mod and 'keep your warranty'. The only warranty you lose is where the mod caused the problem. So if the tune is the cause of a blown engine then no warranty service because the Ford build wasn't the problem. If your radio goes out obviously the tune didn't cause that problem.

If you change the suspension and have problems with the shocks then obviously no warranty on the suspension. Ford warranties their work not the aftermarket parts.

A tune doesn't void the warranty. Both my 2006 and 2013 have been covered for warranty on mechanical issues. Blown head gasket on the 2006 and bad parts in the transmission on the 2013. Dealer knew it had a tune and just asked me to set it back to stock before dropping it off so they could analyze properly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using IB AutoGroup
Good to know.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmkj02
Now what HP gain mods can I do without using a tuner though?
Thanks everyone

Very very little, as everything is controlled by the computer.
Think you can just throw on some headers and get a little boost, probably not as it would more than likely run lean without a tune.
Everything you are used to on your 25yr old car, is not going to work right without telling the computer how to take advantage of the parts you add.
The only things I can think of would maybe be under drive pulleys, new gears, and a one piece driveline, ohh and possibly an electric water pump.
If I missed anything someone else will probably jump in.
But as the car more than likely has more power than the old one, just enjoy it stock for awhile.
And as Sharad told you suspension work does really help.
Good luck, and have fun.
Ohh and see about using a different dealer as the one you bought from sounds like an @ss hat.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I live in the Clearwater area. Would have loved for the test drive though. Thanks anyways
Possible raincheck then. I'll be in Bradenton for sure in March for the NMRA race. Maybe soon. I'll post up the next time I'm headed north.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Very very little, as everything is controlled by the computer.
Think you can just throw on some headers and get a little boost, probably not as it would more than likely run lean without a tune.
Everything you are used to on your 25yr old car, is not going to work right without telling the computer how to take advantage of the parts you add.
The only things I can think of would maybe be under drive pulleys, new gears, and a one piece driveline, ohh and possibly an electric water pump.
If I missed anything someone else will probably jump in.
But as the car more than likely has more power than the old one, just enjoy it stock for awhile.
And as Sharad told you suspension work does really help.
Good luck, and have fun.
Ohh and see about using a different dealer as the one you bought from sounds like an @ss hat.
No such thing as underdrive pullys for these cars. Gears require a tune unless it was a factory option. And headers do NOT require a tune unless you're going with an off road mid pipe with it. The front o2's sensors are also widebands and will adjust for any changes the headers make.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
And headers do NOT require a tune unless you're going with an off road mid pipe with it. The front o2's sensors are also widebands and will adjust for any changes the headers make.
I have in the past said the same but I want to add something to this. Some pcms such as mine couldn't figure out after my LT's were installed that my front O2s(widebands) were further down the exhaust. That led to my car stalling when coming to a stop. This is called transport delay. Not all cars experience this especially with Kooks mid lengths but mine did. So I did get another tune for that specific problem.

Last edited by Rob72; 12-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob72
I have in the past said the same but I want to add something to this. Some pcms such as mine couldn't figure out after my LT's were installed that my front O2s(widebands) were further down the exaust. That led to my car stalling when coming to a stop. This is called transport delay. Not all cars experience this especially with Kooks mid lengths but mine did. So I did get another tune for that specific problem.
Who's tune? Adaptive learning wasn't turned on is my guess.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Who's tune? Adaptive learning wasn't turned on is my guess.
First Lund and then Brenspeed. I communicated with both parties to resolve the issue with no success. Finally went to Adam @ Revolution who explained what was going on.

Last edited by Rob72; 12-14-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It all depends on what type of underwear you have on; panties or big-boys underwear. Since you've already been intimidated by the dealership, then it's definitely panties.

Grow a set and mod away. If something fails and it's a result of the mod, own up to it. But since over 75% of the forum are running non-stock tunes, then your panties are in the minority. My dealer was impressed with my Steeda (which anyone with any brains knows requires a tune) when they performed warranty repairs for me.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by Nuke
It all depends on what type of underwear you have on; panties or big-boys underwear. Since you've already been intimidated by the dealership, then it's definitely panties.

Grow a set and mod away. If something fails and it's a result of the mod, own up to it. But since over 75% of the forum are running non-stock tunes, then your panties are in the minority. My dealer was impressed with my Steeda (which anyone with any brains knows requires a tune) when they performed warranty repairs for me.
Ehhh, I also have an 87 GT with a 306 DSS short block with GT40X heads, Trick Flow Stage 2 cam and intake, full exhaust, 3.73 gears, MSD, 44lbs inj, running through a Pro Charger supercharger and using a 100hp Nitrous Works wet kit plus a ton more add ons. So if I am wearing panties my friend, you are in diapers. People who say grow a set and mod anyways have no brains. Its easy to say that when its not your car. These are new cars with $8k+ engines. Its still under warranty as it has only 13k miles. CPO vehicle carry a 10y/100k miles powertrain warranty. These S197 vehicles is ALL new to me. I did all my mods on my fox body with factory computer and still pull front tires off the ground. That is my play toy. This 2011 are not the same and if you are willing to front me the cash if I blow my engine then by all means pull the check book out.
The case here is not intimidation, its using your head and doing it correct and still maintaining my warranty. Remember these S197 is completely new to me. They already come with 412hp stock and not much out there like there is for the Fox bodies. And from what I see anything I do requires a tune except for the axel back and some CAI plus one or two other things. My ***** are big but my brain is bigger
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Ehhh, I also have an 87 GT with a 306 DSS short block with GT40X heads, Trick Flow Stage 2 cam and intake, full exhaust, 3.73 gears, MSD, 44lbs inj, running through a Pro Charger supercharger and using a 100hp Nitrous Works wet kit plus a ton more add ons. So if I am wearing panties my friend, you are in diapers. People who say grow a set and mod anyways have no brains. Its easy to say that when its not your car. These are new cars with $8k+ engines. Its still under warranty as it has only 13k miles. CPO vehicle carry a 10y/100k miles powertrain warranty. These S197 vehicles is ALL new to me. I did all my mods on my fox body with factory computer and still pull front tires off the ground. That is my play toy. This 2011 are not the same and if you are willing to front me the cash if I blow my engine then by all means pull the check book out.
The case here is not intimidation, its using your head and doing it correct and still maintaining my warranty. Remember these S197 is completely new to me. They already come with 412hp stock and not much out there like there is for the Fox bodies. And from what I see anything I do requires a tune except for the axel back and some CAI plus one or two other things. My ***** are big but my brain is bigger
I would continue to enjoy the Fox and hold out on the '11 until the warranty expires. Just my .02, and what I am doing with my '13.

Quick Reply: What mods can I do and keep warranty?