Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What mods can I do and keep warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by 04mineralgreyGT
I would continue to enjoy the Fox and hold out on the '11 until the warranty expires. Just my .02, and what I am doing with my '13.
Yeah from what I am seeing that is going to be my only option. Just going to make it look and handle good. Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 PM
bmkj02

The Diablo Sport Intune or Trinity doesn't leave a foot print so I got the Intune. Works awesome
Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmkj02
The Diablo Sport Intune or Trinity doesn't leave a foot print so I got the Intune. Works awesome
They claim that but it's actually never been proven. A senior service tech on another site said it can be seen.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

According to my dealership, if I modify the exhaust, then that part of my exhaust is voided under warranty. An example, if I installed cat-back exhaust, then the exhaust system behind the cats would be void...understandably so.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PeteInFlorida
According to my dealership, if I modify the exhaust, then that part of my exhaust is voided under warranty. An example, if I installed cat-back exhaust, then the exhaust system behind the cats would be void...understandably so.
They need to be a little bit more specific on their explanation on that. Obviously if you damage your aftermarket exhaust, they wont replace it, that makes sense its not their part, but if you put the factory exhaust back on then you've got your warranty back.

Unless for whatever reason that exhausts causes damage to another preexisting factory part still under warranty, then yes they can void the warranty of that particular part (not the whole car mind you). Let me put it this way. Lets say you buy a new set of lug nuts for your new shiny wheels, and some of your lug nuts fail, and a wheel falls off and your brake rotors get destroyed among other things. If the dealer can without a shadow of a doubt prove that the damage occurred due to a failure of an aftermarket part like your lug nuts, then they will not cover the warranty on the brakes that got damaged and so forth. If you install a supercharger and your clutch gets eaten up, of course they wont replace the clutch, they'll claim the extra power hurt the clutch.

It makes sense when you think about it, but this is yet another reason why with any purchase, get GOOD quality parts, don't buy the crap you find off ebay, buy good stainless steel, buy good quality wheels, good quality exhausts, great quality brakes and suspension. Sure, yes they will cost more money, no doubt about it, but why risk safety and why risk the pain of having to go through all that with the dealer? Just my 2 cents on that.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 AM
bmkj02

I contacted Diablo Sport and American Muscle. They said these are the only two that won't leave a foot print. The others do. It was a lot of back and fourth emails so I'm pretty sure these two don't.

Also the other day I had to take my car in to get my tranny looked at. Service Tech ask me if I had a tune. I said no. I asked him what if I did? He said he would need me to come in and remove it before they wiped it off and reset the computer. Guess it depends on your service guy too

Originally Posted by scottmach
They claim that but it's actually never been proven. A senior service tech on another site said it can be seen.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmkj02
I contacted Diablo Sport and American Muscle. They said these are the only two that won't leave a foot print. The others do. It was a lot of back and fourth emails so I'm pretty sure these two don't.
You're being gullible, of course they're going to say that. They're in the business of selling. Don't be so quick to believe everything.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

ModBargins, yes, well said, and point taken.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by scottmach
You're being gullible, of course they're going to say that. They're in the business of selling. Don't be so quick to believe everything.
Its not being gullible. Its called doing your homework. You may install parts on your car without looking into it but I don't. If you noticed I started this thread a while back. Its been over 2 months I have been looking into this. Diablo Sport isn't your local speed shop or a magazine sales shop looking for a quick sale. Diablo Sport also sells many different tuners for our cars and the specifically said these are the only two that don't leave a foot print. I also called American Muscle and they confirmed the same since they make the tunes. And these weren't one email contacts. I went on and on with them. On top of that if you look at peoples feedback they will also confirm the same thing. So calling over 2 months of looking into this is not quick in believing.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by ModBargains
They need to be a little bit more specific on their explanation on that. Obviously if you damage your aftermarket exhaust, they wont replace it, that makes sense its not their part, but if you put the factory exhaust back on then you've got your warranty back.

Unless for whatever reason that exhausts causes damage to another preexisting factory part still under warranty, then yes they can void the warranty of that particular part (not the whole car mind you). Let me put it this way. Lets say you buy a new set of lug nuts for your new shiny wheels, and some of your lug nuts fail, and a wheel falls off and your brake rotors get destroyed among other things. If the dealer can without a shadow of a doubt prove that the damage occurred due to a failure of an aftermarket part like your lug nuts, then they will not cover the warranty on the brakes that got damaged and so forth. If you install a supercharger and your clutch gets eaten up, of course they wont replace the clutch, they'll claim the extra power hurt the clutch.

It makes sense when you think about it, but this is yet another reason why with any purchase, get GOOD quality parts, don't buy the crap you find off ebay, buy good stainless steel, buy good quality wheels, good quality exhausts, great quality brakes and suspension. Sure, yes they will cost more money, no doubt about it, but why risk safety and why risk the pain of having to go through all that with the dealer? Just my 2 cents on that.
This is well said!!

Quick Reply: What mods can I do and keep warranty?