Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What mods can I do and keep warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
bmkj02

Default What mods can I do and keep warranty?

I just got my 2011 GT a couple of weeks ago. I was going to get a tuner for it but dealer said I better not if I want to keep the warranty. I was like whatever I know I can put it back to stock if it needs to go back to the dealer. Well I find out that 2011+ leaves a footprint regardless and like ever mod you do needs a tune. WTH!!! I have an '87 which is modded all the way but of course I don't need to worry about warranty but its not so complicated. Even a CAI needs a tune. WOW a CAI??? All I have done was add a Roush axel back. Anything else I can do without a tuner?

Thanks
Bill
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bmkj02
I just got my 2011 GT a couple of weeks ago. I was going to get a tuner for it but dealer said I better not if I want to keep the warranty. I was like whatever I know I can put it back to stock if it needs to go back to the dealer. Well I find out that 2011+ leaves a footprint regardless and like ever mod you do needs a tune. WTH!!! I have an '87 which is modded all the way but of course I don't need to worry about warranty but its not so complicated. Even a CAI needs a tune. WOW a CAI??? All I have done was add a Roush axel back. Anything else I can do without a tuner?

Thanks
Bill
You can upgrade the suspension, which makes a huge improvement in performance.

Fwiw, I just bought a 2011 5.0 and it's still under warranty, but I added the UPR tuner x-pipe combo. I needed that horsepower. I'm glad I did. The car just ran 12.2 @ 118 on STIFF (handling) suspension and hard street tires. It's a BLAST to drive! Here's what I used:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...r-package.html

What part of Florida are you in? I live in Fort Myers, but I work in West Palm. I can take you for a spin in mine if you're nearby. It would give you an idea of how my mods worked out.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

My 2013 GT is lowered with Eibach Pro Springs, BMR front and rear sway bars, panhard bar, upper and lower control arms with Eibach relocation brackets. I also have a Steeda CAI and custom tune.

I have even taken it in due to have front control arm issues which are stock btw. Dealership was a tad worried because of my suspension they did not think it was warranty. But when they called into Ford to check Ford said fix it. Then I got new factory control arms in the front.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget appearance mods. Also, if you have a manual it is a good thing to upgrade the shifter bracket and shifter.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM
JimC

You can do any mod and 'keep your warranty'. The only warranty you lose is where the mod caused the problem. So if the tune is the cause of a blown engine then no warranty service because the Ford build wasn't the problem. If your radio goes out obviously the tune didn't cause that problem.

If you change the suspension and have problems with the shocks then obviously no warranty on the suspension. Ford warranties their work not the aftermarket parts.

A tune doesn't void the warranty. Both my 2006 and 2013 have been covered for warranty on mechanical issues. Blown head gasket on the 2006 and bad parts in the transmission on the 2013. Dealer knew it had a tune and just asked me to set it back to stock before dropping it off so they could analyze properly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by JimC; 12-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
What part of Florida are you in? I live in Fort Myers, but I work in West Palm. I can take you for a spin in mine if you're nearby. It would give you an idea of how my mods worked out.
I live in the Clearwater area. Would have loved for the test drive though. Thanks anyways
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
bmkj02

I was mostly looking for performance HP gains mods that wont require a turner.

JimC- I can see your way on this and believe me I am not arguing with you on it but I hear a lot of other horror stories that the dealer will void a warranty once they know a tuner was in play. I really cant see how they would honor a warranty on a head gasket knowing there was a tuner in play. Even if you put it to stock it leaves a footprint. Im just afraid of testing those waters.
When I was signing the papers when I bought my car I asked the guy what mods can I do and he right away said dont tune it or your warranty is done. I was actually considering the Ford Racing tuner they sell and have them install it. Wasnt sure how good it was though.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Less than a month from driving off the dealership with my new (at the time) 2013 5.0, I changed out the coilovers, UCA, LCA, Panhard bar, new wheels, tires, exhaust, and now a new widebody kit. Some dealers don't care if you modify your car or not. Totally depends on the dealer, but what really protects you from all this, is the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act (if you're worried about warranties being voided and what not). Check out this article here:

FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts

Here's a section from that article:
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bmkj02
I was mostly looking for performance HP gains mods that wont require a turner.

JimC- I can see your way on this and believe me I am not arguing with you on it but I hear a lot of other horror stories that the dealer will void a warranty once they know a tuner was in play. I really cant see how they would honor a warranty on a head gasket knowing there was a tuner in play. Even if you put it to stock it leaves a footprint. Im just afraid of testing those waters.
When I was signing the papers when I bought my car I asked the guy what mods can I do and he right away said dont tune it or your warranty is done. I was actually considering the Ford Racing tuner they sell and have them install it. Wasnt sure how good it was though.
They cannot summarily void your 'warranty' based on a mod alone. It's the law. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act.... Most people (especially service or sales guys) that make that comment about voiding your warranty either don't understand the warranty or are too lazy to try and understand/explain it.

http://www.duramax.bizhosting.com/ma...s-warranty.htm

The Ford Racing Tune leaves a lot on the table as it is still conservative. It's the tune the car should have had from the factory IMO.

To paraphrase, when you modify a car, only the warranty on the modified part is voided from the OEM, the Mfg of the part has it's own warranty but the dealer does not have to honor that warranty for that part. If that part fails you have to go to the mfg for warranty coverage of the part. Most won't cover labor.

If something on the car fails and it's directly related or can be shown to be related to the mod, the dealer won't cover it under warranty because it's not an OEM part. Now, if you have something unrelated to the mod that fails, they can't void the warranty on the failed part.

Example 1) - You put a tune and CAI on your car...a few months later your Power steering motor goes out. Unrelated so the dealer would cover it.

Example 2) you put a tune and CAI on your car...a few months later your car starts running lean and burn out a couple plugs because the tune on the car is not programmed correctly. That is related so the dealer would not cover the repair under the warranty. You would have to deal with whomever supplied you the CAI and Tune.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM
bmkj02

Seems easy to understand. My worries is that I have an '87 stang with aftermarket everything. Been through 4-5 motors and same with tranny. No biggie with these cars but a 2011 stang that I just got with only 12k miles I really dont want to dish out $$$$ if I blow that engine. It not like picking up a 302 pushrod engine if you know what I mean. This is a whole new system I am getting myself into with this species and I am all new to this.
Now what HP gain mods can I do without using a tuner though?
Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: What mods can I do and keep warranty?