Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My Borla Atak review

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
stephencovar

Default My Borla Atak review

So after a long and drawn out time deciding what cutback exhaust to get, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Borla Atak catback with x-pipe. I was debating between the S-Type and the Kooks catback. I ended up with the Atak because I wanted something aggressive! Here is a little review on it.

Sound: All I can say is wow! This exhaust sounds incredible! From the moment I drove out of the performance shop, I knew I had something special. From a stand still to about 3000rpms, the car rubles anything after that the car screams! I dont get any drone what so ever. I have a 45 minute commute to work and I usually cruise at about 65mph and with cruise control on, I sit right at 2000rpms with my 3.73 gears. Videos dont do the exhaust justice at all. This exhaust is loud and I get a lot of looks!

Quality: You get what you pay for. The quality and finish is awesome! The welds look amazing and the tips are huge!

Fitment: Here is where I have a problem. Overall the fitment is fine. The tips are aligned perfectly and stick out just right. My only problem is with the passenger side over axel, the pipe hits the frame and rattles all the time. The shop did everything from bending hangers and mounts to realigning and nothing would fix this! It is very annoying and frustrating, especially since I paid $1440 for an exhaust. For a bolt on, it should’t have any fitment issues. This is with the 2.75” piping. I’ll be contacting Borla about this.

Overall I am very happy except for that rattle I am getting. The only other mod I have is the Bama 91 octane race tune from American Muscle. I put 387HP and 377TQ! I cant complain with those numbers at all!

Here is a video of my car on the dyno with the exhaust installed. I recorded it with my iPhone 5s.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stephencovar
So after a long and drawn out time deciding what cutback exhaust to get, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Borla Atak catback with x-pipe. I was debating between the S-Type and the Kooks catback. I ended up with the Atak because I wanted something aggressive! Here is a little review on it.

Sound: All I can say is wow! This exhaust sounds incredible! From the moment I drove out of the performance shop, I knew I had something special. From a stand still to about 3000rpms, the car rubles anything after that the car screams! I dont get any drone what so ever. I have a 45 minute commute to work and I usually cruise at about 65mph and with cruise control on, I sit right at 2000rpms with my 3.73 gears. Videos dont do the exhaust justice at all. This exhaust is loud and I get a lot of looks!

Quality: You get what you pay for. The quality and finish is awesome! The welds look amazing and the tips are huge!

Fitment: Here is where I have a problem. Overall the fitment is fine. The tips are aligned perfectly and stick out just right. My only problem is with the passenger side over axel, the pipe hits the frame and rattles all the time. The shop did everything from bending hangers and mounts to realigning and nothing would fix this! It is very annoying and frustrating, especially since I paid $1440 for an exhaust. For a bolt on, it should’t have any fitment issues. This is with the 2.75” piping. I’ll be contacting Borla about this.

Overall I am very happy except for that rattle I am getting. The only other mod I have is the Bama 91 octane race tune from American Muscle. I put 387HP and 377TQ! I cant complain with those numbers at all!

Here is a video of my car on the dyno with the exhaust installed. I recorded it with my iPhone 5s.
Great choice, I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying the Borla Atak exhaust system. I agree with everything you said, when I first purchased my 2011 GT I ran the Borla Atak axle-back. That being said, I actually had the same rattle as you after installing Long Tubes and an O/R X-Pipe! I basically found out that the passenger side muffler was rubbing the frame. I had a buddy hold the tip down just a little bit and tightened it down really good. It didn't move back up and I never had the rattle issue again! This may not work for everybody, but it may be worth a shot for you to try.

Worst case, Borla has great Customer Service and you can reach out to them directly and they'll gladly hook you up! Let me know if you have any questions for me or need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM
lindsay@borla
1st Gear Member

Hi stephencovar,
Glad to hear that you’re liking the exhaust! And the video looks great too. I just replied to your fitment thread, please call our Customer Service Department at 805-986-8600. Original thread reply here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...ml#post8335211