Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First Oil Change Time, Which Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
And yet you guys can't even spell Mobil 1 correctly. Simply amazing.
I blame that other guy that said it first. I just followed his lead

Mobil 1 is what I use!! There happy?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2014 GT and a 2010 GT before that and '66 & 67's before that. For the last two I've used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend with the proper Motorcraft filter. I did the 1st oil change on the 2014 @ 7,800 miles. Even good conventional oils are good for 5,000 miles anymore as was Toyota's recommendation. If I were out at the drag strip or doggin' it hard on the street constantly, I'd change it sooner but if the oil isn't too dirty and you don't go beyond about 8 months between changes why bother and why waste the money? The only reason to change oil is dirt and contaminants(fuel, water, chemicals). I'd go 12,000 on synthetic myself and 8,000 on synthetic blend. Even at 7,800 miles, you could hardly see the oil! I was clean!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I would do a break in oil change. I know they don't even really suggest it anymore, but I do it regardless. It may or may not be necessary these days, but it makes me feel better, so it's worth the small cost of an oil change, then if you put a good FULL synthetic in you're good for another 10k+ miles. Syn blends I'd run 5000-7500. Conventional I change at 3000-5000.

I just did the synthetic conversion on mine. I'm using the Purp at the moment, but I'll be swapping to Amsoil 25k after this. I can get too good of a deal on it not to. The only question is if I'll actually go 25k miles. I think I'll change the filter after a while and see how it seems. I'll probably run it at least 10k-15k miles though. FRPP oil filter.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by DPE
I've searched many discussions, and even commented in some awhile back, but I thought I'd bring it up once again. New 2014 GT, just hit 700 miles today. Historically, I have done oil changes at 1000 miles as a mark of break-in being (mostly) done, and then gone to 3-5k intervals after that depending on use. I do track my car 4-5x per year, and it is probably driven harder than average, even for a Mustang. Plan to keep the car forever (or at least a good long time). Based on the above, questions are as follows:

1. I will likely do a 1000 mile oil change, and likely will stick with Ford 5W20 blend. Then I'll change again at 5k, with full-syn, and generally do changes at 5k. Does anyone see a flaw with this plan? Is there ANY legitimate reason (other than saving money) not to do the 1000 mile change? I know it isn't necessary by the book, but it's always stuck with me to clear out whatever was left from manufacturing and break-in.

2. Given my usage, what full syn should I go with? 5W20 seems awfully thin for a car driven as mine is, and I've read plenty on bobistheoilguy about how thin oil is generally better, but I was thinking Mobil 1 5W30. Or even the Motorcraft 5W50 as recommended for the Boss and Track Pack, but that could be overkill? My car is a Brembo, but no Track Pack (didn't want 3.73). Also read up on how, technically, my engine could be programmed slightly different from the Track Pack engine due to the thicker oil specified for it. I think JAJ was commenting on the specifics somewhere, but not for sure.

At the end of the day, I suspect I'd be fine with any decent oil as long as it's changed regularly, but I figured I'd stir this pot one last time and see what comes up before I commit to any particular program. Probably will do UOA with Blackstone and see how that looks too.
1) I still do this between 500-1000 miles on new cars (recently my wife's 2013 VW TB). The reason is simple, there is always the chance the block has minute particulate mater from the machining process that either gets through the filter or is floating about. Manufacturers these days have a fill it a run process where they build the motor, fill it up and start it up. All of that initial wear in will create an excess of particulate mater as the rings seats and other components wear-in.

After that initial change I stick to the recommended interval and the recommended weights (except for high mileage motors 100K+where I may switch to a 10W-40).

2) 5W-20 is thin but keep in mind engines have way tighter tolerances and stronger components that wear less over time than the old days so if you go too thick you risk restricting oil flow or reducing oil flow at critical times.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Some have changed their initial oil out too soon and developed a tick. Ford actually wants it left in longer than a 1000 miles.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Some have changed their initial oil out too soon and developed a tick. Ford actually wants it left in longer than a 1000 miles.
I'd be interested in seeing that backed up with a source. Seems highly unlikely, but if it were true I'd be interested for sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
I'd be interested in seeing that backed up with a source. Seems highly unlikely, but if it were true I'd be interested for sure.
Do a search on other sites. There's plenty of info on this subject.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...il-change.html
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I used to use Mobil 1, but have switched to Pennzoil Ultra 5W20. Another top shelf oil would be anything from Amsoil. Even though Ultra is a full synthetic, I change it & filter every 5K miles. Oil is cheaper than metal.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 01-13-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

For the first 30k miles on my '07 (when I was putting about 15k miles on her per year and she wasn't my DD), I used Amsoil oil and their eA filter, changing both at about 10k miles. The eA filters are rated for 25k miles so the filter was never a concern for me. I just hated putting fresh oil in and having it mix with that ~1/3 quart left in the filter. But now that my Stang sees maybe 3k miles/year, I swapped to Pennzoil Ultra (almost 1/2 the price of the Amsoil) and change it at 1 year intervals but still use the Amsoil filter just because.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I'll be changing mine every 5k, religiously. Using the motocraft 5W 50 and a motocraft filter.

Oil changes are cheap insurance to prolong the life of your engine.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change Time, Which Oil?