Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First Oil Change Time, Which Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I did a LOT of research on this topic. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 or Amsoil. (and a good oil filter)
Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

im using pennzoil ultra currently and it seems good
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I use AMSoil and Motorcraft oil filter on my car..

Mainly because I get a case of Motorcraft filters for like $50-55cdn ($4.16-4.58 per filter) and get a case of 12 5w20 AMSoil signature series for $101.40cdn ($8.25 per bottle).
Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I will probably be doing the one year changes on my 14 GT since this is not a daily driver car. I have 4,400 miles on the car now and I'm still running the Factory fill oil. I will change the oil this month if the weather cooperates since my car was built last February.

I plan on using Motorcraft 5w-20 and the correct Motorcraft filter on the first oil change but may use a different oil in the future.

I used to be a big believer in changing the FF oil out early but after doing a lot of reading and research, I decided to follow the manufacturers recommendation on this car and see what happens.

Wayne
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If I was going to change my oil only once a year, regardless of mileage, I would definitely use a full synthetic. I think you are correct to stay with the Ford recommended 5W20 weight. Motorcraft filters are good. I myself use Pennzoil Ultra. I don't think there is a better oil. You can get it at Wally World.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

If you use Pennzoil platinum as I do in my wifes 3.6VVT that I bought new now has just under 100k and will turn 7k rpm like silk (dont use in stang due to I bought with 43k and previous owner used conventional oil) but Pennzoil will warranty your engine for 300k miles as long as you start using below a certain mileage. here is a link. I am not knocking Mobil 1. I just use the Pennzoil because while under dealer warranty I had them do oil changes so i didn't have to keep records and thats what they stocked.
http://www.pennzoil.com/warranty/
Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
If I was going to change my oil only once a year, regardless of mileage, I would definitely use a full synthetic. I think you are correct to stay with the Ford recommended 5W20 weight. Motorcraft filters are good. I myself use Pennzoil Ultra. I don't think there is a better oil. You can get it at Wally World.
I'm not a big fully synthetic oil fan. Granted this was years ago, but back in the late 90's and early 2000's, I was running Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil in my 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L vortec that I had bought new. After my warranty was out, I decided to extend my oil change interval to 5,000 miles and had an oil analysis done. It came back with elevated readings in a few different areas and the lab recommended going back down to the recommended 3,000 mile changes. My engine also seemed to be more noisy while running this oil.

I continued to run this oil and do more oil analysis with not much change in my analysis results. I switched back to a conventional oil and my analysis readings went to normal and my engine noise pretty much went away.

I never went back to using a synthetic in any of my vehicles and won't use Mobil 1 to this day. I still own my 98 chevy truck and it now has 126,000 miles on it. I used Pennzoil yellow bottle in it up to the last oil change and it now has Pennzoil High Mileage in it. I have not done oil analysis on it for years but the engine is quiet as it can be still and still runs great.

I know synthetic oils are improved since I last used them but I have never seen any hard facts that show an engine will last longer using a synthetic vs not using one.

Our local Walmarts do not carry Pennzoil Ultra anymore, just the platinum.

Wayne
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Well, I'm going to stick with the factory fill until my OLM tells me to change it (or until 5000 miles, whichever is first), and then switch over to Pennz Ultra 5W30. Some Wal-Marts have it, and some don't, but I've found one pretty close that does so I can get it for a not-obscene price. Just seems like anyone who has used that and done UOA has gotten nothing but good results, and some state (without data to back it up) that oil temps on track have been lower with it. Figure I'll change it after 5000 miles on the first change with it, and then go by what UOA suggests after that. So that's the plan, for now, until I decide to do something different . Thanks for all of the good responses. 1300 miles now, so starting to have some fun with it...
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The Pennzoil Ultra has proven to be a very good off the shelf oil for the money in UOA tests. I would use it over Mobil 1 in a heartbeat.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
WuStangClan
1st Gear Member

Mobil 1 here too.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change Time, Which Oil?