Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What is the true fix for this gawdawful clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Where is this assist spring located?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Assist spring is on the clutch pedal itself. Numerous threads out there about removing it.

If I was a drag racer, I'd have considered a slushbox. I like to turn, though, and automatics generally suck for that. To put another way, if a Mustang only came in an automatic, I wouldn't have even considered getting one. Not suggesting anyone who gets an automatic is lame; different strokes for different folks as they say. But for me, a manual is the only thing that works for what I like to do.

It isn't air in the line. The clutch not releasing at high rpms is a well-known mechanical issue that seems to be present on quite a few cars but absent on others for no reason that I can determine. If it were air in the line, it would show up in normal driving. It's only a problem at high rpms, and with the assist spring removed it's not a problem at all. My only problem now is my pedal won't come quite all the way back up, which for some reason annoys me more than it probably should. If I can get a fix for this now much smaller problem, I'll be quite happy with the clutch.

If you want to know what clutch I like better, you could start with my 2010 Mustang GT. Had no issues of any kind, and worked perfectly. As did the majority of the roughly 500 manual transmissioned cars I've driven in my life (worked at dealerships in my youth, drove a lot of cars). When they slapped in the 5.0, they needed a clutch with more clamping force. But then they decided they needed the clutch to be easier to press down. And somewhere in there they cocked it up. Remove assist spring and you're 90% there. I just want the last 10% (getting the slack out of the top of the pedal travel removed) to make it just right.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I think you have something mechanically wrong with the throwout, the pedal itself or the slave cylinder. Ford corrected the cause of the clutch stickout on 2011 cars by going with a different clutch, better PP bolts and a Boss 8 bolt flywheel for 2012+.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 AM
draxxus131
1st Gear Member

Do you have any proof to those add on parts that FoMoCo allegedly did?

I would love to see that in writing, otherwise it's a croc of........
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
I think you have something mechanically wrong with the throwout, the pedal itself or the slave cylinder. Ford corrected the cause of the clutch stickout on 2011 cars by going with a different clutch, better PP bolts and a Boss 8 bolt flywheel for 2012+.
They had problems with bolts backing out at or near redline. I believe they increased torque values.

My '13 and buddy's '13 Boss (along with many others he races with) has the same issue so I don't think what you stated was the "fix". We discussed it and think it comes down to a weak pressure plate. We think it is strong enough to maintain contact but weak enough to not push the pedal back up at high RPMs. Of course we are not engineers but just using our experience with clutches to come up with our conclusion.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J95SNAKE
They had problems with bolts backing out at or near redline. I believe they increased torque values.

My '13 and buddy's '13 Boss (along with many others he races with) has the same issue so I don't think what you stated was the "fix". We discussed it and think it comes down to a weak pressure plate. We think it is strong enough to maintain contact but weak enough to not push the pedal back up at high RPMs Of course we are not engineers but just using our experience with clutches to come up with our conclusion.
I think you may be missing the point. The assist spring is there to aide in depressing the clutch more then anything. And at higher rpm it can put enough pressure on the pedal assembly to resist the pressure plate and hydraulics release.
I do agree that the clutch assembly still isn't up to par with the engine.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

I think what Snake is saying is that IF you had a stronger pressure plate, one could still have the assist spring on the pedal but the clutch WOULD be strong enough to force the pedal back at high rpm, assist spring be damned. And that would be an acceptable fix too; I like the feel of the clutch better without the spring (other than the slop at the top of the travel of course), but if it actually worked correctly with the spring intact then all the better. I guess to be concise, if the whole clutch system was engineered correctly that would be better than it is currently.

I'm rather surprised no one has posted about trying a 2011 GT500 pedal assembly. I'm getting closer to just going ahead with it to find out once and for all. Cheaper than trying a whole new clutch anyway.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
I think what Snake is saying is that IF you had a stronger pressure plate, one could still have the assist spring on the pedal but the clutch WOULD be strong enough to force the pedal back at high rpm, assist spring be damned. And that would be an acceptable fix too; I like the feel of the clutch better without the spring (other than the slop at the top of the travel of course), but if it actually worked correctly with the spring intact then all the better. I guess to be concise, if the whole clutch system was engineered correctly that would be better than it is currently.

I'm rather surprised no one has posted about trying a 2011 GT500 pedal assembly. I'm getting closer to just going ahead with it to find out once and for all. Cheaper than trying a whole new clutch anyway.
You are correct, sir.

I've heard of the GT500 assembly fix but haven't read/heard about any success stories.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I don't know, my experience is I have over 100 full slick clutch dump launches on my job 1 2012, at rpm right up to red line, with no clutch issues. Still shifts like new. Fortunate son, I guess.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

got a 2014 gt No clutch issues shifts at 6500 + heading to the track as soon as weather permits.

Quick Reply: What is the true fix for this gawdawful clutch?