MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Roush phase 2 advice (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/707265-roush-phase-2-advice.html)

Chris'_stang13 03-04-2014 04:03 AM

Roush phase 2 advice

Hey all, so I am a bit of a novice when it comes to big mods on a mustang, but I've gotten great advice from here before so here is the issue. I am saving up for a Roush supercharger kit and while I am not opposed to getting the 575 hp phase 1 (which I hear is ok with stock bottom coyotes), I would prefer the 625 phase 2. If I went with phase 2, would I have to do much more to the engine so it can handle it and last longer? Here is what my upgrade plans are as of now:

Roush phase 2 supercharger
Ford racing aluminum radiator
SVT performance cooling fan
JLT oil separators
aluminum drive shaft
Moser 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 8.8 rear axle bearing and seal kit
upper and lower control arms
Ford Racing sway bar kit and adjustable panhard bar
Roush Axle back

My car is a daily driver (do a little bit of road racing but not much) and has an auto transmission for the hills and traffic I often deal with in the Pacific NW. My goal is for the car to last as long as a supercharged car can. Any suggestions as to what my engine/suspension would need for the 625 hp package is greatly appreciated, or maybe a different supercharger if you think another one is better.

rikb53 03-04-2014 12:31 PM

I orig got the Phase I - 540hp for my 2012 5.0. I sat w/ that for a year and went straight to Phase III 675HP when they became available - other than that I am stock. from what I've read i'm on the bubble RWHP but in the safe zone, but you just never know as they build boost quickly. if I was to go anymore, I would forge everything from the engine (rods), clutch, trans & driveshaft. but, i'm very happy w/ the way it is now. mine is a DD too, but I put very little mileage on it per week. about 91miles per week.

scottmach 03-04-2014 03:39 PM

I would look into the VMP TVS kit. It's a Roush blower with upgrades for the same cost essentially. And a tune by arguably best Roush tuner in the world in Justin @ VMP. Check out his wife's car on youtube.

rikb53 03-05-2014 06:11 AM

if I didn't have to drive from Texas to Florida - I would run to VMP in a heartbeat and get my 5.0 forged (front to back) and then dial up the SC as far as I could. unfortunately, i'm here in Houston and just don't know of many tuner shops with VMP's reputation.

AKRA 03-05-2014 09:22 AM

I have the 575 kit with a custom tune and it works very well. I would recommend the Roush or VMP, phase 2 intake, Phase two boost a pump, 82mm pulley, and a custom tune from JDM, Lund Racing, or VMP. Without headers you should get close to 580 rwhp. With headers 600 rwhp. Any smaller pulley than 82mm you need forged pistons.

04mineralgreyGT 03-05-2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by scottmach (Post 8357743)
I would look into the VMP TVS kit. It's a Roush blower with upgrades for the same cost essentially. And a tune by arguably best Roush tuner in the world in Justin @ VMP. Check out his wife's car on youtube.

This! We have a local guy running this setup making a good bit over 600hp. He is running mid 6's in the 1/8th reliably. He's actually making a little more power now after a trip to Johnson Motorsports (JMSchip) a few months back. He doesn't daily drive it, but it is more than capable of doing so. You have an auto transmission, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Seems like the MT82 M6 is the weakest link in these cars.

Chris'_stang13 03-06-2014 04:09 AM

Great info

Sweet, sounds like VMP TVS stage 2 is the way to go. I'll probably stick with 82 mm pulley plus JLT 127 mm C/F intake and I'll get a forged 5.0 if I ever want more boost.

KevStangZona 04-02-2014 11:51 AM

Let me know if you got the VMP STG 2. I am looking at that for my 14 GT AT in the fall and wanted to find out how people like it with there automatic.