Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking for Exhaust Options

Old 02-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Biffster

Default Looking for Exhaust Options

Hi Everyone. Forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times already.

I just bought a 14 GT Premium with the 6sp man. I'm coming out of a 2006 GTO. I am really enjoying learning to get the most out of the GT. It's amazing how incredibly different the new GT drives vs. the GTO.

Anyway, I love the GT, but it's a bit too "polite". It really needs a more aggressive exhaust. I'm not a street racer and I don't want something really loud. I want to be able to her it idle, but not too much. When at WOT, I'd be happy if it screamed as loud as it wants.

A few years ago, I had a F-150 with the 5.4 I put a Borla system on it and loved the way it sounded. When it started it barked, but settled into a polite rumble. I read the review on the Borla ATAK. Looks like a great system, but I think it might be a bit loud for what I'm looking for.

I looked at the Borla Touring system. Is that a good option for what I'm looking for? What about Magna Flow or another less expensive system?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject. My GTO's stock exhaust had a strong rumble to it, so I've never modded a car before. What do you think I should look at?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

Hey, Biffster - sorry, I can't help you...but I'm subscribed to your thread, as I have the same question for my '07.

I want it to sound aggressive, but with no drone, and I'd like to be able to pull in the neighborhood at midnight without getting the cops called on me.

To buy myself some time to check out some exhaust systems in person at spring car shows, I bought stock mufflers on Craigslist and gutted them - it sounds better for now.

...I just hope I can hear an ATAK system soon.

So many options to choose from...
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Biffster you need to look at the Ford Racing GT500 axlebacks.
It's the factory muffler for the GT500 but sold aftermarket. I have them and in my honest opinion this is how the car should have sounded from the factory.
Good bark at start up, nice rumble at idle, quiet at cruise with no drone, nice burble on deceleration and aggressive tone when on throttle. And they bolt right up to the factory exhaust.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I put these on my '12:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?p...&partno=817496

I'm happy with the sound. really deep w/o too much of the raspiness some Flowmasters have.

# 817588 would be the equivalent kit for a 2014.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Might be louder than you are looking for, but they are not polite, kind of rowdy and even raspy at times, they have sound clips.

http://pypesexhaust.com/i-13475207-1...ck-sfm76m.html

After doing a quick look AM has them for less than the manufacturer, and there are also other catback systems that also sound good.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-m...k-exhaust.html

Last edited by AK_Kayaker; 02-23-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Landman
1st Gear Member

id say try too do a catback.

Magnaflow

MBRP

Stainless works
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You can check out our exhaust here:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...515-STEEDA-11/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I too was looking at BORLA, the Touring seemed a little too tame for me. I was actually looking at the S-Types. Price was kind of out of my range, even with the FORD RACING ones (Where are made by BORLA). I ended up going with the ROUSH Axelbacks and I'm glad I did. I LOVE the sound and no drone at cruise/highway speeds plus the price isnt too bad either.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Biffster

Default Thanks Everyone!

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I will look at all of these options and will make a final decision early this summer. I'm really loving the GT so far. What a great car. I can't wait to hear it actually roar!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

The Borla touring is pretty weak. It sounds just like stock except at WOT. The tips look amazing though. I had the ATAKs on my V6. Sounded pretty good. Pretty much zero drone. I've heard them on the GTs and they sound mean as hell but still no drone when cruising.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Exhaust Options