Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clunk (noise) when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
wbeard

Originally Posted by P51C
The driveline does not suffer folks gladly, true but most of this us technique. Clinks, etc occur when people fumble the clutch uptake or rev matching or shift timing.

A quick improvement is to drive the car turbo style. By that I mean leading the clutch release slightly with the throttle. As opposed to full off throttle, on throttle at each shift. I used this technique on turbo cars to keep the turbo spinning so it didn't have to spool up after each shift.
Understand what you're saying and I have adjusted myself to it. It's those moments when your guard down and it bites you in the a** that pisses me off
Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I hear ya. To me, some rough-edged brutality is part of the embedded charm of a Mustang.

That's where I think they might have lost the plot a bit with the 15. It's a better car in every way but, it is somehow sanitized for your protection a bit.

Originally Posted by wbeard
Understand what you're saying and I have adjusted myself to it. It's those moments when your guard down and it bites you in the a** that pisses me off
Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 PM
giaka

I know this is a necro but.........Its not just the mustang that does this. I am 52 years old and I am here to tell you just about every front engine rear wheel drive car with an old school manual gear box will do this. Trucks, cars, vans you name it. Its a matter of getting used to the car or truck you are driving. Keep in mind if you are coming from a front wheel drive vehicle this will be new to you since they have minimal drive train lash.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Blazing Boss

If the clunk you are speaking about is the clunk when you depress the clutch and move on to shift gears, then this is normal. It's from the front engine, RWD layout of the car. In some, it may be louder, in others, it may be less audible.

Specifically, it's from the factory two-piece driveshaft. There are some that have bought an aluminum one-piece DS and have claimed that the clunk went away.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 AM
thundernyc

Folks, I have a 2014. Same issues. This is not about technique. We all get noises when we shift poorly, and I appreciate the rawness of my Mustang, but I think this is something different and is about inappropriate driveline slop. My 2011 never made these noises unless I blew a shift. It is probably a combination of the two piece drive shaft and a lack of attention to tolerance during assembly. My question is, is the two piece shaft just to reduce resonant vibration or is it to prevent the driveshaft from spearing through your *** in a collision? If it's just vibration, I'm swapping to carbon fiber one piece, because the constant clunks aggravate the hell out of me. Never owned a car in forty years that did this, American or otherwise. If Ford would create a TSB on this and offer a fix, they would make a lot of owners very happy.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:09 PM
giaka

Originally Posted by thundernyc
Folks, I have a 2014. Same issues. This is not about technique. We all get noises when we shift poorly, and I appreciate the rawness of my Mustang, but I think this is something different and is about inappropriate driveline slop.
I think it has a lot to do with getting used to the drive by wire throttle or actually the inability to get used to it. After I uploaded the BAMA Tune the throttle response changed a lot and the on / off throttle drive train slap is almost completely gone. In fact I didn't realize this until I recently put the stock tune back in and the noise is back. LOL
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM
thundernyc

Originally Posted by giaka
I think it has a lot to do with getting used to the drive by wire throttle or actually the inability to get used to it. After I uploaded the BAMA Tune the throttle response changed a lot and the on / off throttle drive train slap is almost completely gone. In fact I didn't realize this until I recently put the stock tune back in and the noise is back. LOL
Thanks for the reply. It is true, I actually did have a Bama tune in the 2011, although it didn't make the noises before that. I could see the tune making a difference with an automatic for sure...yours is a manual? It's interesting...I can also put the car in sixth at 50 or 55 mph, let go of the throttle, and after a few seconds you can hear a small noise followed by some gear whine...if you then hit the gas, the drive train makes a double clunk that, in any other car, would seem to me to indicate a faulty diff or a bad bushing. Dealer said the drivetrain was normal. Car has 11K on it.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

As people have already mentioned, its due to the two piece driveshaft. Can't be eliminated without going to a one piece driveshaft. American Muscle recently had some good sales for them. Will save a ton of weight as well.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:13 PM
georgiarocker

Just picked up a 2016 Roush Stage 3 Warrior at the port in Bremerhaven Germany Monday. Drove it 6 hours (lightly) back to the house and have only driven it once since. I've got the clunk and I'm not a happy camper. It's there on every up-shift. This is my second mustang (had an '88 5.0 LX manual) and my previous car was an '04 GTO with a 2 piece D/S and T56 tranny and I've never experienced anything like this. The clunk I've got has been there since the moment I picked up the vehicle and it happens with the clutch fully engaged on every upshift, but not on down shifts. It's more than a sound, it's a noticeable thud I can feel in the shifter and hear all the way back to the diff so I can't really pinpoint the exact location. I can be coasting with the clutch to the floor and move the shifter back and forth between 1-2, or 2-3, or 3-4 and hear (AND FEEL) a clunk on every higher gear but smooth as butter going into the lower gear. I'm going to try to drive another 16 model GT manual this weekend to see if it does the same thing but I suspect something is wrong. Anyone else had this?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by georgiarocker
JI can be coasting with the clutch to the floor and move the shifter back and forth between 1-2, or 2-3, or 3-4 and hear (AND FEEL) a clunk on every higher gear but smooth as butter going into the lower gear.
That rules out a driveshaft issue right away.
Sounds like a problem with the manual shifter to me, or the tranny itself (the MT82 is known to be problematic on some cars).

Originally Posted by thundernyc
It's interesting...I can also put the car in sixth at 50 or 55 mph, let go of the throttle, and after a few seconds you can hear a small noise followed by some gear whine...if you then hit the gas, the drive train makes a double clunk that, in any other car, would seem to me to indicate a faulty diff or a bad bushing.
Now that could indeed be a problem with the center bearing of the stock two-piece driveshaft.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 03-27-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Clunk (noise) when shifting gears