Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brembo Front Brake Job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM
NoVa5.0

Default Brembo Front Brake Job?

So, I'm ordering new rotors and pads for my Brembo car. I've done multiple brake jobs before, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should know about the Brembo brakes and replacing the rotors and pads.

I know I could just pop the pads out and replace them, but I'm doing the rotors too. I have searched YouTube for a complete Brembo brake job, but I only see pad replacement, nothing on the entire job.

Can someone tell me what tools I will need? Anything special other than a huge C-clamp to compress the pistons? Any special tool to remove the calipers? Any good suggestions for anti-squeal grease?

I'm using Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos Rotors.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I've removed my calipers. You need a hamme and a punch pin type tool to pop out the retaining pins and the clip comes out after. The pads should slide out. There should be IIRC one bolt holding the calipers on (I can't remember if there were two or not). Suspend the caliper with a clothes wire hanger from the suspension spring. There are 2 clips on the studs that hold the rotor in place, twist them off and be careful. Put new rotor on and the. Replace the retainer pieces. I compressed all 4 pistons with my fingers going from one to the other (I popped the cap on my brake fluid resovior). Then reattach the caliper, lube the pads and plate, slide in new pads. Lube the retaining pins and the clips contact points and your all set.

Let me know if this helps any and if you have any issues.

I apologize in advance for my misuse of any terminology or terms. I am not a mehanic just hope this help!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by NoVa5.0
So, I'm ordering new rotors and pads for my Brembo car. I've done multiple brake jobs before, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should know about the Brembo brakes and replacing the rotors and pads.

I know I could just pop the pads out and replace them, but I'm doing the rotors too. I have searched YouTube for a complete Brembo brake job, but I only see pad replacement, nothing on the entire job.

Can someone tell me what tools I will need? Anything special other than a huge C-clamp to compress the pistons? Any special tool to remove the calipers? Any good suggestions for anti-squeal grease?

I'm using Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos Rotors.
Not sure why you're replacing the rotors, especially with such low grade ones? If I were going to spend the money to replace the rotors I'd get the same or better. Not worse.

I generally prefer using a brake caliper pistoncompressor instead of a c-clamp. I believe the Brembos are also multi-piston? Definitely use a tool, not a c-clamp.

Amazon.com: Easy-to-Use Disc Brake Pad Spreader Caliper Piston Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: Easy-to-Use Disc Brake Pad Spreader Caliper Piston Compressor: Automotive
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I believe the Brembos are also multi-piston? Definitely use a tool, not a c-clamp.
[/url]
Yep! 4 piston...
I agree on the rotor comment... Brembo replacement rotors aren't that expensive.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

DO NOT use a c-clamp. You have to use a tool that rotates as it compresses. It's $30 on amazon. AM has instructions on their site. There are many tutorials online.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
DO NOT use a c-clamp. You have to use a tool that rotates as it compresses. It's $30 on amazon. AM has instructions on their site. There are many tutorials online.
Only the rear rotates as it compresses and requires the tool that screws the piston back in. The front four pistons do not turn.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Only the rear rotates as it compresses and requires the tool that screws the piston back in. The front four pistons do not turn.
Your positive (just asking/not arguing)? Is it necessary for the rear due to the e-brake?

I just replaced my rear pads and rotors with DBS drilled/slotted, hawk pads.... And it was surprisingly simple. First time for me. The first side took me 2 house since it took my sweet time and enjoyed my time with the car. The second side took only 30 min. The fronts (brembos) are supposed to be easier. There are great step be step instructions online.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Hope this is ok to post here.. but it is what I printed out before I did my rear brakes.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-5-0-a-501151/

Here are some pics of mine for fun..

Before:
Name:  61929AD1-4A21-4C77-B51B-CA1F5E51568F.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  91.4 KB

After:

Name:  DC8DE025-410A-4932-BEDD-41166CB075C3.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  73.1 KB

One of the support clips apparently fell off a while ago.. had some grinding in my drivers rear brake.. Waited too long to check it out and the pads/rotor on that one wheel were absolute toast. Other side still had plenty of pad left even after 44,000 miles.

When I bought the caliper tool on Amazon, I realized I had $800 amazon cash back credit from an old discover card... So.. went ahead and bought the DBS rotors and Hawk pads.. $400 worth of parts for free
Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM
keving54b

Can you use the stock s197 brake lines? What is the difference between the Russell and oem other than being SS?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM
keving54b

Wrong hol... sorry, wrong thread!