Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need advice on what I need b4 cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:43 AM
aggie_1

Default Need advice on what I need b4 cams

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 and was wondering if there were any steps I should take before getting a after market cam and which cam I should go with? The mods/specs even worth mentioning right now is that it has a 93r bama tune with a air raid cai with 3.73 gear ratio and I'm about to get a aluminum single drive shaft. Any ideas or suggestions for bolt ons would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Which cam? These cars have four cams. Cams are for the real hard core guys that want to go fast N/A. It sounds like they aren't for.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

get it to a tuner, these are vct cars and they can do alot with the stock cams to give a lope and extra power without even opening up the engine. that said, forced induction is better bang for your buck than cams if you are looking for a large power gain and u can keep the internals stock
Old 04-12-2015, 05:24 PM
aggie_1

I don't want to ghost can it lol I just want to know what upgrades I would need before getting aftermarket cams, I do want that lope sound but also the power, ghosting is not what I want to do, I've heard it messes with the valve train and I've heard it's doesnt. I just don't want to take that chance, I also plan on putting a super charger on later down the road but I want to get a good suspension first as well, I mean I've got plans guys for this girl lol any help is appreciated though
Old 04-12-2015, 05:26 PM
aggie_1

She has a borla atak exhaust too and I really have no idea what good cams are on the market these days
Old 04-12-2015, 11:10 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aggie_1
She has a borla atak exhaust too and I really have no idea what good cams are on the market these days

not sure what is best, but i have driven an SCT tuned 5.0 that along with some bolt ons had a nice lope, and tons of power and throttle response, too bad the owner barrel rolled it, lol
Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 and was wondering if there were any steps I should take before getting a after market cam and which cam I should go with? The mods/specs even worth mentioning right now is that it has a 93r bama tune with a air raid cai with 3.73 gear ratio and I'm about to get a aluminum single drive shaft. Any ideas or suggestions for bolt ons would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone
I don't want to ghost can it lol I just want to know what upgrades I would need before getting aftermarket cams, I do want that lope sound but also the power, ghosting is not what I want to do, I've heard it messes with the valve train and I've heard it's doesnt. I just don't want to take that chance, I also plan on putting a super charger on later down the road but I want to get a good suspension first as well, I mean I've got plans guys for this girl lol any help is appreciated though
Hey aggie -

Welcome to MustangForums - Good questions here and it's looking like you got some help already but I'm going to cut right to the chase - If you're planning on going forced induction down the road I would suggest working on the Intake (Intake Manifold) and Exhaust side (Long Tube Headers) They're going to work hand in hand with each other as they're supporting mods for the cams but if you're adding a charger hold off - There's "Blower Cams" specifically made to be used along with a Supercharger and it would be like working backwards if you were going to cam it first, then turn around a couple years down the road and charge it.

Let me know if you have any questions at all or feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm always around to help out!

Alex
Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 PM
aggie_1

Let's what would be a good set of cams to put on it? Since you were talking about exhaust I do have a full borla system on it so what now?