Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Power adders, what are you runnin??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:26 AM
skaarlaj

Default Power adders, what are you runnin??

I've been into making street cars quicker at the drag strip, and on the street for quite a while now, and with my "new to me" 2012 gt, I'm sure I'll end up with a very expensive "air pump" AKA supercharger on it within a year or two. I'm just wondering what you are running and why.

I've also noticed that Roush, and VMP kits seem very popular compared to the twin screw blowers like KB, and Whipple, which is kinda odd to me because after owning a gen 2 Lightning, and an 04 Cobra, the best thing to do is get rid of the roots blowers, and get a twin screw for those looking for a simple effective swap. I know these TVS blowers are basically an improved "roots" design, but still has to fall short of twin screws? Maybe because the Cobra and lightning motors are a "built for boost" style motor, and being able to ingest more boost pressure brings the TVS blowers a little further out of their efficiency range on those vehicles compared to a higher compression Coyote, which is probably horsepower limited within the boost pressure range a tvs is capable of?

I've installed two centrifugal set-ups, and have to say I really don't prefer the packaging, and quality of either kit I've installed compared to the few PD blowers I've put on, but I've seen them run excellently at the drag strip to say the least.

So right now, I'm loving the idea of the 2.9 Whipple, as I'll just leave it turned down for the stock coyote engine, but maybe in time, I'll get into a tougher "built" engine, and just be a pulley change away from getting into some serious boost. I also live near several gas stations selling E85, so I'd be into going that rout as well, but would like hearing from some folks first before doing so.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:30 AM
skaarlaj

By the way, my name is Jeff, and I live in Rock Springs, Wyoming, and that was my first post here at mustang forums. I look forward to hearing from you all, including a few "heated" discussions over time as well, hahaha!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

I just added a Whipple 2.9 in August. It seems you already have an idea of what you are doing and what you want. I think packaging of the TVR systems has helped its visibility and sales. Most of the popular tuners engaged on social media such as Roush, VMP, etc. are using TVR blowers and getting the word out on them.

In contrast, you don't hear much from KB or Whipple to the same degree. My decision process was a bit more narrow being that I'm in California and wanted a 50 state legal kit. Almost every manufacturer has one, but I was limited based on supplier and I preferred a local manufacturer. Whipple is only a couple hours away. I'm rolling with the base Whipple tune for now, but have already consulted with AED in Sacramento about future tuning. The other thing I noticed with AED is all of the project cars on their website have Whipples. Personally, I don't know if one is better than another, but seeing that raises my confidence level when I have mine tuned by them.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:33 PM
skaarlaj

I bet you'll be very happy with the whipple!! I have a weistec stage 3 on our Mercedes C63, it looks identical to a whipple, and is a twin screw, and friggin RIPS!!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by skaarlaj
I bet you'll be very happy with the whipple!! I have a weistec stage 3 on our Mercedes C63, it looks identical to a whipple, and is a twin screw, and friggin RIPS!!
I love it! The SRT 392 that tried to mess with me a few weeks ago? not so much.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:45 PM
skaarlaj

N I C E !!! Me and my stock 2012 GT tried messing with one of those 392 challengers the other night, and he wasn't interested in the least. It seams like most cars that are "worthy" of a race won't do it, but get a young guy in a diesel with a "tune" and you'd think he's in a friggin dragster hahaha.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Have had a Vortech Centrifugal on my 3V since 2009 and am very happy with it. From all accounts Vortech or Paxton Centrifugal SC's make excellent power on Coyote engines. I did not have any "packaging or quality issues" with my SC.

Name:  IMG_9308%20Medium_zpsjnmjp23l.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  244.1 KB
Old 11-29-2015, 04:09 PM
skaarlaj

Originally Posted by Scott2
Have had a Vortech Centrifugal on my 3V since 2009 and am very happy with it. From all accounts Vortech or Paxton Centrifugal SC's make excellent power on Coyote engines. I did not have any "packaging or quality issues" with my SC.
Looks really nice too!!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by skaarlaj
Looks really nice too!!
Thanks, it is no slouch either, 585 at the wheels through an AUTOMATIC and cats.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:15 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I've not seen a lot of stellar reviews from those who have made the swap to E85 on either the 4.6 or 5.0 motors. The cost is high, the tuning is tricky, and the benefits are not all that great.

I like the PD blowers for the sake of "easy". Easy to install, easy to tune, easy to drive
I like my custom twin turbo because I can say "I have a custom twin turbo"
Plus....sexy, sexy
Name:  FB_IMG_1449012624144_zpssurejpq6.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  89.0 KB

Quick Reply: Power adders, what are you runnin??