Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Windshield wipers going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
BlackBetty69

Default Windshield wipers going crazy

I'm new to the forum, so if I state any obvious info excuse me. I'll get the hang of this forum haha. I've owned my 2013 GT for 9 months now I bought it used with 30k miles on with some tasteful mods on it. I've had a couple problems with it and it's out of warranty so I'm trying to figure them out myself before I drop 500$ to fix something I could have done.
anyways last week my wipers would just randomly come on and not go off I messed with the switch and they finally cut off. Then a minute later the washer fluid started spraying and wouldn't stop so I pulled over found the fuse and pulled it. Did some reading and figured it was the switch on the column. Got a motorcraft one from Rock Auto and installed it. I drove around for about 30 mins making sure it wouldn't do it again the wipers worked just fine. Then driving to work the next day the washer fluid comes on with the wipers and doesn't stop. I pull over and it stops. I pull the fuse and come to work. What do you guys think is going on?? Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Weird electrical gremlins are commonly traced to the 'Smart Junction Box' - aka body control module - that got wet. It's located behind the kick panel on the passenger side, and at least the early years of this chassis had known water leaks over on that side. If the carpet on that side has been wet or anything down there at floor level shows indications of having been wet, this is probably it. Ford has a diagnostic procedure to pinpoint this but I don't know what that might be.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-19-2017 at 02:40 PM.