Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Strange Noise when Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Capsule

Default Strange Noise when Starting

Alright so a little information;
  • First the Car just had the transmission swapped with one we built. However, I have been busy with work moving into a new building so I had a shop do it.
  • Secondly this started after over a 1000 miles of driving on the new setup.
  • Third This issue started after finally having some fun, I had no issues but I did remember to do a Crank Relearn even though I did not get the Warning Wrench Light (Are we calling this a Service light?) But it did not start until I went to drive it this morning after leaving it in the garage for a day.

Ok that should give some basic needed information on what has recently been done.

What I am noticing is not what I am used to hearing when a starter goes out. usually (that sound of the solenoid sticking). But with this it sounds fine for a second then sounds like something is either skipping or rattling. I thought maybe it was a low battery so I tried it after a 20+ Minute drive to work, the same issue.

I have not run into this one and since I did not do the work for a change I am trying to narrow things down.

The idea's I have so far are that the inspection plate is loose and vibrating when starting. (But this issue/noise is only present when starting)

My next was that the bolts holding the starter were not tightened down and it's backing out this would explain why it sounds normal then the issue happens but there is nothing after that.

The last one is that the teeth on the starter have been chipped off in one spot. But I don't think that's something that normally happens.

I did replace the flywheel and clutch so I don't think teeth are missing from the flywheel and it's the same every time not like it's just randomly missing teeth.

The only other farther fetched idea's I have are that indeed the starter is failing in just an odd way or somehow when I did the crank relearn with the X4 something was not right and now it's pushing back and causing an issue... this one seems too far fetched but I have all day until I can go home and get under the car to look.
So I figured why not ask around here and see if anyone has had a strange situation with the starter before that might give me a few ideas.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like something loosened up or flexed now that things are worn in. Check your linkages, could be as simple as a bracket or cable rubbing against something it shouldn't or it broke loose from it's holder.

Did you use blue loctight on the flywheel to crank bolts or the clutch plate to flywheel?

On 05-09 there is a metal separate plate between the bellhousing and the engine, this was known to cause several weird rattles and noises if it was loose or had any gaps in it after it was installed.

Here's the TSB.
https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb09-18-16.pdf

Could also be the cat shields are loose.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Capsule

Well I found that it was indeed the starter bolts had backed out, one was even missing. I replaced the one and tightened them all up things seem fine but I am worried it might have been damaged (Flywheel or Starter) I tried to check the inspection plate but seeing that it's held between the trans and the block I don't see how I can easily get it out. Plus by that point I had fought with that upper starter bolt for long enough to just not care...

I will check it at another time when I feel like removing those bolts and seeing if I can get it to come off.