Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Radio display

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM
swodo

Default Radio display

The protective plastic film covering the radio display on my 2011 GT has bubbled up.
Can I just cut it out, or could I heat it with a hair dryer and then smooth it out? or do I have to remove the fascia to smooth it? I'm trying to avoid removing the fascia due to cracking or scratching it. Any other ideas?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:34 PM
JimC

Are you talking about the plastic film that is put on to protect it during shipping? That is supposed to be removed.

Or are you talking about the display itself bubbling? That was a problem in my 2013 and they had to replace the plate. Others have had that as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 PM
swodo

Its pretty thick and appears to be inside the valance. Maybe its the removable plastic protector. Is it really a thick film? Anything to lose by cutting it out?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 PM
swodo

Oh, and whats undeerneath it? Glass?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Chances are its the actual glass/plastic 'window' that is between the cabin and the literal display. Mine is cracked. It sucks.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by swodo
Its pretty thick and appears to be inside the valance. Maybe its the removable plastic protector. Is it really a thick film? Anything to lose by cutting it out?
If it is a thick plastic that is the display screen protector and not the removable film. The protecting film is a thin "saran wrap" type that a lot of people leave on without realizing it is supposed to be removed.

The thick plastic plate inside is part of the screen, and some do bubble and have to be replaced. A picture would help figure out what you are talking about for sure though.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM
swodo

Heres a picture . Hard to see but the two bubbles are to the right of a large lifted up area. I can move these around with my finger as it is a thick plastic film. Is this the shipping protective film, or a Ford standard film to protect what I assume is the plastic radio display underneath. Anyway, I'd like to fix this somehow, preferably without removing the bezel, and replace with a better film, or ??
Attached Thumbnails Radio display-1116171615a-1.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM
JimC

That might be the shipping film. If it is, you should be able to pull it away without removing the bezel. Can you peel an edge of it?