Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Service Power Steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Torpedo

Default Service Power Steering Help

Here's my problem on my 2011 GT.

My power steering goes out randomly quite often, mostly when the car is being driven around the city or ideling in traffic a while.

I don't have tire pressure sensors on my wheels, so I usually get a tire pressure sensor fault first, then a low tire pressure notification, then power steering fault.

Restarting the car fixes it 90% of the time, and if it doesn't, then I get the service power steering now message no matter how many times I try to restart.

To fix it, I clear codes with my tuner, then everything works fine again until the cycle starts all over.

Im wondering if the tire pressure senors have anything to do with tripping the power steering fault - maybe the car always thinking the tire pressure is low is making it act up? Just a theory based on the order in which things happen.

Currently weighing if I should pony up the money to add them to my wheels, or if I'll need to just replace the whole rack for $$$.

Any help or input would be appreciated!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:13 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

How long have you been running without the sensors in the wheels -vs- when did the
issue with the electric rack start? If you have not had sensors in the wheels for a long
time, and just NOW the steering issue popped up, then it's not because you don't
have sensors in the wheels.

What is the FAULT CODE for the steering fault? It will have its own code, like:
U0131 Lost Communication with Power Steering Control Module (PSCM).
P0635 Power Steering Control Circuit
P0636 Power Steering Control Circuit Low
P0637 Power Steering Control Circuit High

And so on... Without it, we're guessing...
Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Torpedo

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
How long have you been running without the sensors in the wheels -vs- when did the
issue with the electric rack start? If you have not had sensors in the wheels for a long
time, and just NOW the steering issue popped up, then it's not because you don't
have sensors in the wheels.

What is the FAULT CODE for the steering fault? It will have its own code, like:
U0131 Lost Communication with Power Steering Control Module (PSCM).
P0635 Power Steering Control Circuit
P0636 Power Steering Control Circuit Low
P0637 Power Steering Control Circuit High

And so on... Without it, we're guessing...
That's a good question. When I bought the car, I hit a pothole and one of the sensors went out early on, so I've never really had all 4 sensors working, and I don't remember if it happened before or after that happened.

I was more interested in if there was even a link between the two systems. Having the tire light on never bothered me enough to fix it.

I dropped it off this afternoon and the Ford tech said there's no link between the steering and tire pressure sensor, so they will be letting me know tomorrow. Not sure if anyone knows otherwise.

Also never pulled any codes on it, didn't know I could if the engine light never came on.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

There is no correlation between the two systems. The PS rack has the module on it too.

The CEL is only "required to illuminate" for Emissions related systems, it does not have to for any
other faults. The PS system has it's own fault light, there will be a fault code. A generic tool probably
won't be able to retrieve it. VW is great for that stuff, you can have all kinds of faults and not know it till
you use VCDS and read the modules... VW has a PS light as well, and two colors, RED is bad....
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Torpedo

Quoted $1900 to fix, anyone know of any options I have? Is that about in line with what others have paid?

Currently debating just trading it for something else since that's pretty much a down payment on a new car.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:51 AM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Well what's the actual problem? $1900 to make the rack magically work.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Torpedo

To replace it with a new one.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:41 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Well Ford's list is $1333.24 and labor time is 3.5 hours. If they replace the rack it should need an alignment as well ($100-150) in California. So $2000 sounds right.

The racks are around $300-400 as a reman and around $800-900 New OE. So you stand to save yourself time and labor doing it yourself, but most likely owe them a diagnosis fee already, which they should credit toward the repair if they are a reputable dealer.

If you trade it in they're going to take it off the trade value and then give you wholesale book - double screwed. So you'll come out WAY ahead fixing it and selling it repaired, or selling it in that condition and being honest with whoever buys it, who may be able to do it themselves.

So there ya go. Decision time. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Torpedo

Appreciate the write up on that, I just had a child last Monday so funds are tight. Seems the $2000 is still cheaper than taking over car payments for a new one though. Just paid it off last month.

I started the independent shop route and got a quote for $500 for the part and installed, so that's an option too. I'm not sure if know how to install it myself, tried finding out how with no luck.

Also saw another forum user mention all they did was clear the connector pins under the car and their steering started working fine again, apparently oil and stuff gets in there. Worth checking that out once I get the car back.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

No problem man, glad to help. My wife is 4 months pregnant so I feel ya on funds. Sorry for being direct, just wanted to clarify the problem to help you better.

I would DEFINITELY try cleaning the pins at the connector if others have had success. It's a cheap firs shot and makes sense it could be the issue. IF YOU GO THAT ROUTE: Use electrical cleaner. It is NOT the same as de-greaser or brake clean. It evaporates 100% and is NON-CONDUCTIVE.

Independent shops are great, but check warranties. Ford will cover OE parts anywhere. I'd be skeptical of a quote difference that large, and if they didn't recommend an alignment on their original I wouldn't even bother going back. I work in collision and say this on a daily basis: "We don't write high estimates, or low ones. We write to repair the damage on the vehicle. No more, no less. If you need a discount, we can reflect that, too." In other words... go with the quote that is THOROUGH, not just cheap. There's a reason, but don't be afraid to ask Ford to chip their teeth a bit to earn your business. Offer a 5 Star yelp, that's my crutch!

Good luck man. Congrats on the healthy kid!

Quick Reply: Service Power Steering Help