AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

Raxiom Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera (10-14)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

^ wow. What a difference. The more I see reviews on this kit the more I want it.

Matthew
Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wkayl
We had a really nice day here in
Colorado a week ago. I could work outside with the top down. I decided that even though I had a factory backup camera, I would install the one from Raxiom. Being a convertible, it took extra time to route the wiring through the back seat area. I pulled the pass side trim panel away far enough to (after several tries) to fish a coat hanger wire through and into the trunk. I couldn't believe the clarity of the new camera. I will use the Raxiom camera a lot more than the factory one.

The pictures below were taken this morning in low light conditions. They both are sharper than my phone camera picks up.

Factory.

Raxiom
Wow great comparison here! Thanks a bunch for posting these pics up wkayl. I actually forgot how the stock units looked, as I'm used to either the Raxiom unit or the regular radios. They really help show the quality of the Raxiom camera and head unit over stock.

Thanks again!

Shane
Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I bought one of these and overall I like it. However, I was wondering if there is some place to report bugs. I found a pretty annoying one that is easily reproduced.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
nlions

It's a great unit for the price. Two notes that buyers need to know as the AM website does not tell you this. (1) Lifetime updates of the maps are not included and (2) there is no live traffic fed to the unit. Other than that, I love it but wish they would have connected live traffic like Garmin does.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rvastang
I bought one of these and overall I like it. However, I was wondering if there is some place to report bugs. I found a pretty annoying one that is easily reproduced.
Absolutely! Send any feedback you have to Support(at)AmericanMuscle(dot)com. Those guys will send the feedback to the right people from there. Any feedback you have is welcome!

Shane

Originally Posted by nlions
It's a great unit for the price. Two notes that buyers need to know as the AM website does not tell you this. (1) Lifetime updates of the maps are not included and (2) there is no live traffic fed to the unit. Other than that, I love it but wish they would have connected live traffic like Garmin does.
Thanks for the quick review! I'm sure this will help future customers before purchasing as well. I'll also see what I can do to add a few notes to the product page!

Shane
Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 AM
drukkosz
1st Gear Member

Shane,
So are you confirming that maps updates are not included??? that was one of the reasons I purchased that unit.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by drukkosz
Shane,
So are you confirming that maps updates are not included??? that was one of the reasons I purchased that unit.
At first I was under the impression the map updates were free. Since I don't own a 11-14 Mustang and don't have one of these units, I'm honestly not positive. However, I just sent an email to someone who would know. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the answer.

Sorry for the delay!

Shane
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM
nlions

Wink Map updates and live traffic

I've had a number of conversations with Rosen and email exchanges with Naviextras.com and here is what I've discovered
(1) Go to Naviextras.com, set up an account selecting " UPDATES AND EXTRAS FOR YOUR ROSEN ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS INC.

ROSEN NAVIGATION H11/H12/H13/H14/H15"

(2) You have to download their "toolbox" software and attach your SD card where the maps are from the unit (tab under menu button right side of face of unit). It will then validate your maps, do a backup on your computer, and in my case, it did an update. I was told by Rosen that the first time you do this any update will be free and any in the future will be billable but I can't confirm that yet as this was my first connection. I will come back in a few months to check for updates but Rosen told me updates to the maps are only done every 12 months or so. Will have to wait and see what happens. When your unit is powering up, the first screen shows a progress bar in bottom left corner displaying www.naviextras.com and supposedly its checking your map currency but it never told me I needed an update and when I attached my SD card using their toolbox I got an update so I'm not really sure if that progress bar at startup is accurate at all.

(3) You get a short user guide with the unit but it doesn't contain much detail on the GPS operation. Go to Rosen for a user guide http://www.rosenelectronics.com/Owne...al_REV%20B.pdf

(4) I've triple checked the availability of a live traffic data source connected to the unit and NO LIVE TRAFFIC INFO IS AVAILABLE. This is important to me as I now have to use my Garmin if I need live traffic info fed to the GPS when I'm driving a planned route. There is "historical traffic" info on the unit but I can't find any use for is so I unchecked that box. I don't care what traffic was like last year, I need it now.

The unit was made by Rosen for AM so its sort of a "one off" just for those of us who can use it. I don't expect AM to do much more than they have done already with the installation procedures or documentation so we'll have to do that ourselves. Its a great unit with the only major flaw being the lack of live traffic.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

From what I've found out, the updated maps are not free. Aside from the very first update, as nlions mentioned. Although, any fees with future map updates are minimum, so I wouldn't be too concerned with this IMO.

nlions really hit the nail on the head with details of the Raxiom Nav!

Shane
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I don't have a Windows PC. I have a Mac. That Naviextras Toolbox software only runs on a Windows PC. How can I get the free updates? There was no indication on the AM website that I'd need a PC to fully utilize this unit and keep it up to date.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raxiom Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera (10-14)