Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Default Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...

Okay, first things first, please don't turn this into a Sirius vs. Xm thread.
i've had both and prefer Sirius all the way. Thanks.

Now, onto my question:

Who has installed Sirius into their 05/06 Mustang with Shaker 500?

Where did you place the reciever?

Photos would be great. If we can't post photos here, a link to
your photos would do.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...

not sure about the 05/06 mustang but all my vehicles i've put the reciever behind the glovebox. maybe the same. most gloveboxes just pull forward and down
Old 06-10-2006, 03:00 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Well, I'm not sure what kind of receiver you have but i just got the S50 today from sirius as a matter of fact. I'm not sure where i want to mount the player itself. Ironicly, the pictures have this thing mounted in a Mustang....seems pretty cool to me. Anyways, it has it mounted on the passenger side but im thinking of mounting mine in the middle of the 2 middle air vents on my 06 GT drop top. The only problem i'm having is running the antenna wire... I really don't want it on the trunk but i guess i have no choice in that matter. All I can say is that I love Sirius and wouldn't have it any other way
Old 06-14-2006, 11:51 AM
circpro1

I may have found a solution for those who don't want an external reciever. The 2006 Ford F150 comes with a Sirius option. The radio is identical with the exception of the shaker system which just adds an amp to the same stereo. I found a Sirius unit on Ebay, removed from the truck. The F150 uses the Aux button for Sirius, and not a seperate sat button. My dealer referred me to a very knowledgeable external vendor who had complete diagrams. He said the plug would fit right into the Shaker, and believed it would work the same as the F150 radio. The Ford part number is 6l3t-18c963-ae. It's on the way to me now. I'll let you know if I wasted $200 or if it works.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Kiss Fan
1st Gear Member

I have a Starmate replay installed in my 05 GT Vert. I was going to have it mounted between the two AC vents in the middle of the dash, but at the last minute changed my mind because that would have ruined the lines of the dash (I have the IUP). I ultimately decided on the suction cup mount on the lower left of the windshield (driver's side). The three wires are concealed in the arm of the windshield frame, with the antenna in the middle of the frame above the windshield (exterior). Sorry, don't have any pics. I'm happy with the installation and the radio is readily accessible and does not interfere with sight lines.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
circpro1

I installed the unit today from the 2006 Ford F150. It worked perfectly. I press the aux button, and the Sirius radio appears. I referred to the Ford 06 manual on the Ford website to get operation instructions. I am joyed that I don't have to have an aftermarket deck or a control box sticking out. I don't understand why Ford doesn't share this information and start selling the recievers. I'm sure there would be many buyers benefiting Sirius and Ford. We wonder why US car makers are fading fast, they are still unresponsive to consumer desires.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
06_tungsten_gt

Wow thats great news for us who dont want an external unit. Can you tell me what kind of wires are required to connet between the unit itself and the shaker deck. I found one but it comes with no wires. Are any power wires needed as well? Or does it pull from the deck via just the one cable set? Thanks!
~Josh~
Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Conrades

I just installed Sirius in my Mustang ('06 GT Vert) and my 2001 Ford Ranger.

Both vehicles are equipped with an Xact Replay head unit (www.getxact.com). The head unit was a father's day gift, I ended up buying a second unit and the home mount kit. Yesterday I ordered the hardwire power cords for both vehicles to eliminate the cigarette lighter adapter. No need for excessive visible wiring.

On the Ranger, I had no problem routing the antenna coax through the trim and out the third brake light opening for roof mounting. The vehicle has a Sony XPlod system with an aux input, so no FM radio problems there. Once the power cord goes in, all wiring will be hidden in the trim. I mounted the head unit above the rear view mirror with the suction cup mount.

So far, I have it in the Mustang with the antenna just sitting on the dash. I may try it this way for a while to see if I can just hide the wiring in the trim and have the antenna in the center of the dash (forward, with the wire disappearing at the bottom of the windshield).

Running the antenna to trunk may be a bit tricky. There's a metal pan beneath the convertible top storage area and I'm not about to drill that as it's meant to drain water around the trunk. Running it inside looks a bit tricky with the top in motion. Haven't spent much time on this part yet.

I am hoping that the Ford TripTunes accessory will be an easy install to get the output of the Replay into the Shaker 500 and then just use the AUX button for Sirius.

If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
circpro1

Mine came with the wires on the unit. I have attached the picture. Lucky for me, the power connection wires had been cut, so I just tapped them into exsiting wires for the cjg lighter. I installed the unit on top of my factory unit. I had to bend the mounting brackets to get it to fit, but the factory cable was so short, I had to mount it close. You would have to inquire from ford about getting that wiring harness. It is designed to plug directly into both units.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36723/E46A6E4BA2B84151852D39AF00E7B7DA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36723/BF80EA4C1B7E4962A4A69990E5437390.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36723/5917D93546DE4F66AE5F088B1487BBA2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36723/82AE4BF48E094BA781E137D08983F360.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2006, 06:41 PM
06_tungsten_gt

Thanks for the reply, looks like I know what direction i'm going to add sirius now.
~Josh~

Quick Reply: Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...