Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

anyone mount a ps2 or xbox in their stang?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:50 AM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone mount a ps2 or xbox in their stang?

I want to put one of the two in my car but I don't know where to mount it. I want it to be something that looks nice and isn't just stuck somewhere to take up space. I was thinking of building a custom box in my glovebox to hold a slim ps2. Anyone done anything like this and have any pics?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:33 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone mount a ps2 or xbox in their stang?

I had plans to have my xbox 360 in side of my car but the damn thing draws way to much power I would have to spend like $400 on a good inverter. I had bought a $80 one from radio shack and after about 5min of use all I got was blue smoke from it.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:17 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

I had my original PS2 in the glovebox of my Intrepid. Didn't draw much power, like 18 watts or something. The slim one I cant imagine theres any place you souldn't put it. I would put it in your middle console. But I see alot of poeple just make a couple brackets and mount it underneath their glovebox. Alot of times you can really even see it. And if you want to go the extra step, make a small enclosure for it and wrap in some nice fabric.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

anyone have suggestions on which power inverter to get? I want to be safe and hardwire the interter to the battery and I want to make sure I can give enough juice. Anyone with suggestions?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

I had a crappy one I got at a truckstop a long time ago, I also had a good monster one that worked great too but I gave that one to my sister because she moved to Texas and road trips back here like once every couple months and her boyfriend cant go 6 hours without a computer so they needed it more than me. I think both were rated to do 400 watts. But I honestly would just get one of those ones from Best Buy, I really haven't had better luck with one over the other. I noticed the Monster one wouldn't go into protect mode but thatr was only once when I let a kid use it to try and put his home theater sub in his car, he's an idiot and wouldn't stop asking me so I let him. Your going to hide it anyway so it really doesn't matter what it looks like.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

AWW C'MON NOW THE GUY IS ASKING FOR HELP AND WE ARE SENDING HIM TO BEST BUY?

I QUIT..........

ORIGINAL: seight311

I had a crappy one I got at a truckstop a long time ago, I also had a good monster one that worked great too but I gave that one to my sister because she moved to Texas and road trips back here like once every couple months and her boyfriend cant go 6 hours without a computer so they needed it more than me. I think both were rated to do 400 watts. But I honestly would just get one of those ones from Best Buy, I really haven't had better luck with one over the other. I noticed the Monster one wouldn't go into protect mode but thatr was only once when I let a kid use it to try and put his home theater sub in his car, he's an idiot and wouldn't stop asking me so I let him. Your going to hide it anyway so it really doesn't matter what it looks like.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

I can't picture a place selling high performance power invertors. I buy cd's there.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

I QUIT..........

What's the matter with Best Buy? I mean, they have the products I need, and it's at a reasonable price...I just don't let their grease monkeys install the stuff for me because they don't know their adz from a hole in the ground.

They wanted to wire in my XM Radio and charge me $75 for the install, and they said that I'd see wires running around the place; I ran them under the seat, under the door trim, and up to the radio that I'd mounted on the side of the A-Pillar, on one of those glass suction mounts. Did all of my own installation for...Oh yeah...FREE.

Anyway, as for the Xbox 360 or PS2 install, why not mount it in the trunk? Mount it above the pass through area behind the seats, or hard mount it to the floor of the trunk...You could even hard mount it to the passenger side of the trunk in a vertical position, so that it takes up less space, and run the wires back around and down the passenger side of the car, under the trim. Kind of depends on where you're going to mount your video display; is it going to be built into your head unit, or is it going to be in the seats, or what?

I've seen some slick setups that have an LCD screen that flips down when the trunk is opened, and that might be great for a trunk mont setup.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

I QUIT..........

What's the matter with Best Buy? I mean, they have the products I need, and it's at a reasonable price...I just don't let their grease monkeys install the stuff for me because they don't know their adz from a hole in the ground.

They wanted to wire in my XM Radio and charge me $75 for the install, and they said that I'd see wires running around the place; I ran them under the seat, under the door trim, and up to the radio that I'd mounted on the side of the A-Pillar, on one of those glass suction mounts. Did all of my own installation for...Oh yeah...FREE.

Anyway, as for the Xbox 360 or PS2 install, why not mount it in the trunk? Mount it above the pass through area behind the seats, or hard mount it to the floor of the trunk...You could even hard mount it to the passenger side of the trunk in a vertical position, so that it takes up less space, and run the wires back around and down the passenger side of the car, under the trim. Kind of depends on where you're going to mount your video display; is it going to be built into your head unit, or is it going to be in the seats, or what?

I've seen some slick setups that have an LCD screen that flips down when the trunk is opened, and that might be great for a trunk mont setup.
If you think best buy has good prices, you have a rude awakening in the future.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Well I won't hold back just so that you know how I feel. I worked at the home of the **** yellow price tag for just over 2yrs. They wanted to start me in computers(which I knew nothing about) but I managed to go to audio, and then eventually install. After 2 yrs I was ready for them to fire me so I could walk out and well even gave them a few reasons to do so. After 2 yrs I had enough of watching them treat me and all my friends, as well as most of the customers like crap. I saw them use every stupid excuse and it really was a almost couple times a day that someone would throw a monitor or pc at the people behind the counter since they were denying what they really should fix. I left there over 10 yrs ago now and to this day the only thing I have bought there since was when my A-hole brother bought me a gift card there as a joke. I can't stand to work for a place that treats is employees only slightly better then its customers which it craps all over. I certainly refuse to give them any of my money to continue doing so.... I really lothe them more then I should but it keeps me warm at night. I must not be alone as well, check out the stories at Bestbuysux.org you can look at the angry customer side or the angry employee side but if you shop there sooner then later you will want to post there.........

There really are soooo many other places that you can expect better service from. For hecks sake best buys internal sales philosophy is "great and release". Say hello, answer one question if you have to and then on to the next sucker, of course don't forget the warrenty...............

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

I QUIT..........

Quick Reply: anyone mount a ps2 or xbox in their stang?