Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

alright guys help me decide on an amp for my system..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
bearster18
2nd Gear Member

Default alright guys help me decide on an amp for my system..

Ok guys I have a 1998 Gt with the mach 460 sound system and I am gonna add 2 12" audiobahn subs here are the specs for them....

550 RMS max
single 2" 4 ohm voice coils

I already own the subs but I am looking for an amp to finish it off. I was thinking along the lines of a rockford fosgate 1001BD amp which is 1000 watts RMS. I want to be able to push the subs to the max. I dont care if I have to run it mono to do it either. HEre are the specs of the 1001BD amp...500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
1000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.

IS there anyway I can run my subs down to 2 ohms? I dont know much about amp selection so I need you guys help. If thats not a good amp just name one for me please. I would like to go no more than $500 for an amp.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I do have a LOGIC sound lab 1600watt amp that I used to run the subs off before. Do you think I can buy another one of those and run them so that I run one sub off each amp? Here is a link to this amp specs http://www.bacchusaudio.com/pd_logic...bs_lsx2800.cfm
Old 02-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Red 5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: alright guys help me decide on an amp for my system..

Check out this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...749192225&rd=1

Or this for just an amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...748983988&rd=1

Personally I think everyone should have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...748418931&rd=1
Old 02-05-2005, 01:10 AM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

Tighten donw that liscense plate

Does no one buy quility crap like Phonex gold anymore?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:42 PM
bearster18
2nd Gear Member

I got the logic soundlab 1600 watt amp for only $100 bucks and feel in love with it. I wanna add another one of these amps so that I can run one amp per sub. How do you bridge amps?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
ho85GT
2nd Gear Member

if u wanna learn how to bridge amps search crutchfield.com if u look hard you'll find it, under their learn about audio/visual tab. ill tryt to find it
Old 02-05-2005, 10:10 PM
ho85GT
2nd Gear Member

ok here u go,

Bridged Power
When you bridge an amplifier, you combine the power output of two channels into one channel. Bridging allows you to drive one speaker with more power than the amp could produce for two speakers. Because of this high power output, bridging is an ideal way to drive a single subwoofer.

If your amp is bridgeable, the owner's manual will have directions that tell you how. Usually, an amp is bridged by connecting the speaker leads to the positive (+) terminal from one channel and the negative (-) terminal from the other channel. However, you should be sure to consult your owner's manual before attempting to bridge your amp.

Also, keep in mind that most amplifiers need to see a 4-ohm load when bridged to mono operation. If you want to bridge your amp, you should use one 4-ohm speaker or, if you prefer multiple woofers, wire two 8-ohm speakers in parallel. (Again, consult your manual before operating your amp in bridged mode.)
so what u do is connect the two power outputs of two chanels into one, so i am thinking you take 2 y style rca cables connect 1 of them up to the negatives of the (4channel) amp then to the neg of the sub then do the same thing for the pos.
anyone wanna correct me on this?
well any ways this is a good site to go to http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...tall_tips.html
Old 02-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Acewelder99
1st Gear Member

also you will have to stop the vibrations in the carpet over your rear deck speakers
Old 02-09-2005, 04:04 PM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

First of all sorry to hear your going with audiobahn's "No Offense", i think the best amp to get would be a Directed 1500D, powerful, will last you a long time, and not expensive. I have 2 for my subs and then a 4 channel for my speakers and have never had a single problem.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
88lx5.0
1st Gear Member

i have those exact same audiobahn subs and im running a sony amp that is 1000x1@2ohms and i have one of the loudest systems around itr hits hard, i was looking to sell it and buy a new audiobahn one, it all depends on what your looking for go on ebay and look up , clarion , kicker , old rockford fosgate(not new ones) and ya you might wanna purchase dynamat.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:34 PM
klispic

Check out amps @ this site... I've found it to be good brands for good prices (plus they pricematch I think)

http://www.cardomain.com/shop/amps

Power Acoustik are pretty nice... a lot of power for a good price

Quick Reply: alright guys help me decide on an amp for my system..