Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Shaker 1000 Warranty Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
GrubbDawg

Default Shaker 1000 Warranty Replacement?

I am bringing in my baby so the dealership can take a look at a squeeking noise with the drop top. Since this is my first time at the dealership, they asked me if anything else was wrong with the car.

My shaker 1000 will fritz out on me around once a week. It will start skipping and drive me crazy. This is in an early 2006 model.

1. Should I insist they replace the head unit?

2. Is it supposed to play MP3s burned from iTunes? (it dosent)

3. How can I tell if my head unit is Sirius ready?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker 1000 Warranty Replacement?

the head units in fords has always been a week spot. You can complain, and they will fix it, and it will break again.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
macdadtexas

I have the same car, in blue, and the first thing that I did when I bought it, was remove the entire audio set up. With the top down it just did not have the juice to listen to music while driving.

I would suggest replacing the head unit and all the speakers, and getting seperate power amps to push the speakers. Also, MTX and JL Audio (if you want a higher end unit) make form fitting subs that fit in the trunk to replace the Shaker 1000 system. I know it's your money I'm spending (LOL) but it looks like you already have done a lot of great work to the car, and this just adds to it. Also, audio eqiupment can, and should in most cases, be bought used (head units and amps always, sometimes subs and speakers) and then if you decide to sell the car, and you don't think you will get any love for the extra audio gear, put in the factory stuff and sell the gear.

Anyway, the new Ford head units are supposed to improve tremendously over he next couple of years, but I think they will still be a step below the aftermarket.

For head units, I would suggest a used, or new and very discounted Alpine IVA-310. It has a flip-out touch screen, DVD player, direct inputs for an Ipod (controlled through the screen), Sirius, rear camera, and Navigation (either Alpine's own or others), and they have gone way down in price.

I also like the new Alpine digital amps. They have a ton of power, and run very cool, so they don't over heat and shut down if you are on a long trip.

Speakers are a personal choice, and in a drop top, it's not like you are in a dedicated listening room or home theater in your house, so power handling is usually more important than clarity. Alpine, Soundstream (good choice for LOUD), JL Audio, Boston Acoustic....
lots of choices..

Good luck.

PS - they replaced my top on my car as well. Mine had some slight fraying, and they just changed it out. I was very happy about that.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
GrubbDawg

PS - they replaced my top on my car as well. Mine had some slight fraying, and they just changed it out. I was very happy about that.
Did they give you a similar top? I say a 6 banger in the parking lot the other day that had a completly different top (mine is somewhat a vinal feel while theirs was softer.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: macdadtexas

Anyway, the new Ford head units are supposed to improve tremendously over he next couple of years, but I think they will still be a step below the aftermarket.

[quote]

the cubs are supposed to win it all this year as well........

don't hold your breath. They might be adding that voice recognition thingy but it is just one more thing to go wrong.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
macdadtexas

they now have a black cloth top as well as the vinyl. My top is beige, so I didn't get it. I think it's thesame cost or close to it, so if they have to change it out, ask for it.