Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 AM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back

I'm working as fast as I can, but I don't have any additional pictures to show you yet.

Resin, cloth, resin, cloth, resin, cloth, resin, cloth, resin, cloth, resin, cloth, resin, repeat, repeat...

I've got the passenger side complete, except for the baffle board that the subwoofer gets mounted on, and the drivers side is molded, and in the layering process. (A good lesson to learn is use aluminum foil on your mold)
Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back

I have always prefered foil over tape as it is soo much easier pulling the foil up then it is to pull up tape.

Your just lucky/happy that each of those cloth/resin steps is not seperated by sand sand sand.........

My only concern for you is if you left enough room for where the speaker mounts. It looked like if the woofer had much movement forward that it would hit the factory panel. That and how bad all the factory equipment in the sides would rattle.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

So I guess I can catch you guys up a bit on this project...

I used aluminum foil on the drivers side to help release the mold easier. I forgot this step on the passenger side. It's been a VERY long time since I've done this stuff, and I'm getting OLD now...

The subwoofers that I'm using don't come with templates, so I drew a circle on the computer and printed it out. Then I cut it out by hand, and used it as a template for the holes in the baffle.

When I was finished with the resin and cloth process, I used a bit of black paint, to make them look a bit more presentable..

This is a test fit with the subwoofers.

I mounted the passenger side piece to the car today.

And then installed the subwoofer.

The original panel still fits, and there is about an inch of clearance for cone excursion.

I guess I need to make the grilles fit again, but hopefully that will be the easy part of this process. I'm going to see if I can mount the other side tomorrow, and maybe even get to listen to this thing...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

man how did I turn the italics on? and how do I turn them off?

I figured you would need to counter sink the woofers to clear the factory panel, looks good. Now I am only curious how bad the rattles will be. I love fox's but they rattle like hell...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 AM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

I always counter sink stuff like this. We'll see how the rattles are. You can't expect a car this old to not have some rattles.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

I had a bit more time to work on it this evening.

I have the left side enclosure mounted.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Subwoofer wired, and installed...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

You can get an idea of the scale of these by looking over from the rear.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Left side panel back in place.

I still need to do some work on the original speaker grills to get them to fit. Then, I need to wire up the amplifier, and put the entire car back together.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
The Noland
1st Gear Member

i might be getting a vert soon

this is gonna help me soo much lol

where can i get that fiberglass stuff?

Quick Reply: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat