Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Shaker 500 Door Subs Replaced (Walk Through)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Default Shaker 500 Door Subs Replaced (Walk Through)

Factory Door Sub Specs - 1.2 Ohm 60w x 2 (Doesnt say max or RMS).
From that, you can tell it drains as much power from the factory amps to power it. Also, they are made out of paper so ya, they are junk. The factory cover is attatched with glue and the speaker with screws.

Picture of the factory enclosure and why the Pioneer Premiers dont fit or many other ones (top left):

Factory Amp Specs - unknown (left inside) too much of a hassle to remove. Disconnected them and ran a aftermarket amp.

Picture that shows the custom ring (extension) needed to fit 8 inch Pioneer Premier Shallow Mount Speakers inside. They extend out about a 1inch more than factory. It is custom made out of wood:

Heres the finished install (also Dynamated most of the door):

I hope this helps you.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
firestang24
2nd Gear Member

very nice. first you said you "bypassed" the factory amps. what amp(s) did you end up using? where did you place them? do you still have the shaker h/u? approx how much dynamat did you end up using? how did you attach the wood ring to the sub? if i think of anymore questions i'll be sure to post up. thanks for the pics/write-up.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

how does it sound? What are you powering it with?

Thanks for sharin.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

FINALLY! it's about time someone did a walk through. where did you have the wooden rings made? or did you do them yourself?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Firestang the door subs were the only factory speakers I had left and the head unit already was replaced with a Kenwood in dash 7" DVD. I wired the premiers to a s400 800w amp (100w x 2 at 4 ohms RMS) since the premiers RMS is rated at 120w. 1 xtreme door kit was enough for both doors. The pioneer holes screwed into the wood ring and tightly hold on each other.

Ttocs, I know you may not have a s197 but picture having 2 subs way in the back then 2 more subs at front, the feeling is really neat. Since my gain/crossover levels were done, I recently adjusted my equalizer to fine tune the sound. I brought up my midbass and treble hz and levels. Its great. On some songs I still fade the rear level (All 4 subwoofers) and/or the sub level (just the 2 PPI Pro 10's) because the vocals and effects are too quiet with so much bass.

Short clip

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...00501&hl=en-CA
Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I was more worried that with out a proper enclosure that the bass would be muddy or loose sounding. Now imagine what they would sound like if you could make a small enclosure for them..... I was amazed at the difference my 6.5's did when I put them in an enclosure. Glad it all worked out for you and that you are happy.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
silver2006
1st Gear Member

the speaker says 1.2ohm x2, so is the stock amp seeing .6ohms or 2.4ohms.?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
FINALLY! it's about time someone did a walk through. where did you have the wooden rings made? or did you do them yourself?
The rings were made from my friend at a professional car audio shop. After I brought him the subs he told me they wont fit. That sucked. But then he came up with the wood ring idea and still using the factory enclosure plus dynamating around it. Ya so im real happy with his work and the way it sounds.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Diesel_Hog

Nice song selection for the clip also. Gotta love the double bass part of that song!

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 Door Subs Replaced (Walk Through)