Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

6X9s in a 96?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 PM
aadmikep
1st Gear Member

Default 6X9s in a 96?

I upgraded the headunit and 6x8s in my 96 Mustang and am not happy. The headunit is an old Alpine I had laying around and I know it can sound great. The 6X8s are Pioneer Premeire. I also tried Alpines too.

I think that a pair of 6X9s in the back deck seem worthwhile. I know this means cutting and am wondering if anyone else has done something like this. I don't want to cause any trouble with the body and don't know if loosing some steel back there could lead to problems. I also thought about fabricating a baffle and mounting it below the steel.

Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by aadmikep; 09-04-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

should only take an expereinced person a couple of hours, a DIY'er probably all day. When you are dont there will be a nominal gain in sound and a fairly hacked up rear deck.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM
aadmikep
1st Gear Member

I'm concerned about keeping a factory look. So far, I removed the old Pioneer 6x8s and plan to dremmel the metal understructure and mount the 6x9s below that plate. This will preserve the original factory look from within the cablin. I know this means that some of the speaker surface area will not be properly exposed to the listening area.

My real concern is structural integrity. Do you know how important all that metal under the deck is in terms of body rigidity and integrity?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

what are you wanting to get out of the system with 6 x 9s in the back? If you want better bass then just add a small sub and amp. You will get better output, the deck will not be cut and your time/money will be better spent.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
aadmikep
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to avoid the box thing. I need the flip down seat/trunk pass through for hauling other stuff. I'm not looking for amazing bass, just better cleaner and fuller sound quality. I think 6x8 is about the crappiest speaker ever invented. I tried a few brands and not happy. I'm not a bass head. I figure that real good 6x9s will get the job done. I might even go component speakers. Wish Ford put 6 1/2" rounds in the doors and 6x9s in the deck instead of 6x8 everywhere. They just sound like crap to me.

I'm going to try mounting 6x9s under a 1/4" thick board under the steel frame and see what it sounds like this weekend. I'm not looking for madd sound, just good sound and pretty loud too.

What are you using for sound?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you thing the 6 x 8 is useless, but put another inch on it and it is better? I would dare you to go and listen to a 6 x 8, a x 9 and a 6.5 to find out if you could hear a significant difference.

I show my mustangs stereo in my sig, you can follow that to my trucks as well. I am running diamond audio hex componants in both, 6 -4 1 3-ways in the stang and 5.25" componants in the truck.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 AM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

If I was you I would just go with 6.5" speakers. Make a bracket that will mount in the factory holes but fit a 6.5" speaker. That way you dont have to cut anything. If you dont want to go this route I would honestly just have a profesional do the work for you since it sounds like you dont really know what you are doing. If you try to cut and such yourself you will probably not like the way it ends up.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 AM
JayMax03
2nd Gear Member

yeah the I've got the 6.5's on the front and back 6x9's don't pick up any mids
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
aadmikep
1st Gear Member

OK
I got some Rockford Fosgate 3-ways 6x9s and installed them behind a wood panel I made and installed below the steel frame after removing the old 6X8s. It's not a bass machine, but the wood panel clearly made a difference, reduced rattle, isolated air between front and back of speaker cone (the factory deck has many factory formed holes in it that allowed for air to pass between front and back of cones.

I'm satisfied and think it was worth the effort, next weekend, I'll be working on door rattles and converting 6x8 to 6 1/2" Fosgates.

There's plenty of room to ad a 10" mono sub between the 6x9s so I might experiment with that.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
albertmathew40

no i don't know much about it.

Quick Reply: 6X9s in a 96?