Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How to wire a power wire from amp to radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Red ll iine GT
2nd Gear Member

Default How to wire a power wire from amp to radio?

Im kinda new at this..what do I plug the power wire that runs from the amp to the radio into on the back of the radio? Do I have to splice/cut? Any help or pics would be reallllyy awesome
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red ll iine GT
Im kinda new at this..what do I plug the power wire that runs from the amp to the radio into on the back of the radio? Do I have to splice/cut? Any help or pics would be reallllyy awesome
Hmmmm...going to have to be a bit more specific.. What are we talking about exactly?

1. Constant 12V power to amp
2. Remote wire
3. Source inputs to amp

To save some time, the constant 12V power should come directly from the battery to the amp. The remote wire....well that's kind of up for debate. You can tap into any "accessory" power source for this, or you can try to tap into the radio's remote antenna wire. The problem with the radio's remote antenna wire on your shaker is that it's only 5V, and you need 12V. You will need to install a relay to get 12V to the amp remote terminal. It's a bit complicated, and most folks go with the 12V accessory approach. The downside to this is that the amp will be on if the car is on, regardless of whether or not the radio is actually on. The source inputs are going to come from your Line Out Converter.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Red ll iine GT
2nd Gear Member

Well..I have the scoshe wiring kit..so I'm just trying to figure out what to wire where..the 12v wire from the amp to the battery..I know that..do we have a gromit in our firewall?
And I know the rca goes from the amp to my loc..which splices into my rear speaker wires? Do you have to cut the wiring harness?
I'm just confused on what I neeed to wire so that my amp turns off when my car does.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Well to be honest, I can't even remember what wire I used to get 12V switched power for the remote wire to the amp. I managed to get the amp to power on only when the radio is on, but it was a big hassle, I can remember that much. Most people opt for the "on when the car is on, regardless of whether or not radio is on" approach.

See here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-warning.html

That thread should answer your questions.