Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp wattage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

Default Amp wattage?

Ok so im not an audiophlie but i would like to upgrade my base sound system and add a sub to get a little more bass. my current setup is 2 polk db571's in the front and 2 jl audio TR570's in the rear deck. im open to any suggestions for a sub as well but my main question is what kind of amp would i need to power all 4 speakers and the sub? 4 or 5- channel? what wattage rating?
any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
customtronic

You have some options depending on budget. A 5 or 6 channel would be the best choice. You can do it with a 4-channel if you choose. As far as power ratings...I would recommend a minimum of 50 watts per channel to drive your full range speakers. Power to the sub would of course depend on the speaker you choose. Personally, this would be my choice if on a budget (ST-5D):

http://www.zapco.com/zapcostdseries.html
Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Blueper
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I'd go with Crutchfield and the Rockford Fosgates
Lower on price and higher quality with lifetime support.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/All...ckford+Fosgate
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
customtronic

Originally Posted by Blueper
Personally, I'd go with Crutchfield and the Rockford Fosgates
Lower on price and higher quality with lifetime support.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/All...ckford+Fosgate
Definately not higher quality than Zapco but you get what you pay for. The Fosgate amps of today are not the same animal as the Fosgate of the 90's. When it was made in the U.S. it was great gear. Now it's just so-so in my opinion. Zapco is not the only amp I'd recommend but it is definately one of the best SQ amps on the market. Some other quality amps to consider would be Audison, Mosconi, Arc Audio, just to name a few. Rockford Fosgate would definately not be in my top 10 choices. I'm not trying to be a "know it all" but I have over 20 years in this industry and have been competing in sound quality competitions at a national level for years. Just my two cents.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

ok thanks so basically i would need at a minumun 200watts for the front and rear speakers and then however much the sub would require as well, if im understanding this correctly. So for my new set up im planning on using a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT for the head unit. this would be able to easily power a 5 channel amp since it is rated with having 3 Pairs of RCA outputs (Front, Rear, and Subwoofer) and 1 sub preamp RCA output?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 PM
customtronic

You are correct on that. A HU with front, rear, and sub RCA's would be your best option.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
pro134
1st Gear Member

Ok and what about a sub? I was thinking a single sealed 10" in the trunk to save space. Whats your oponions on a sub to punch a little but not rattle the trunk
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 AM
customtronic

Originally Posted by pro134
Ok and what about a sub? I was thinking a single sealed 10" in the trunk to save space. Whats your oponions on a sub to punch a little but not rattle the trunk
A 10" sub would do ok. Personally I would consider a single 12. There's a lot of "stuff" in the way that the sound wave has to travel thru....the back seat, sheet metal, panels, ect. If done properly you shouldn't get much rattle from a single 12, surely no more than what you'd get from that single 10" sub. Have you set a budget on the sub? You should be able to get a great sub in the $150 price range, maybe cheaper if you can find something on sale.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

I don't want to spend more then 175 on the sub if possible. Any particular brand sub? Would a 4channel amp for the components and a dedicated sub amp produce a better sound? Or does it all depend on the type of amps and sub?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
customtronic

Originally Posted by pro134
I don't want to spend more then 175 on the sub if possible. Any particular brand sub? Would a 4channel amp for the components and a dedicated sub amp produce a better sound? Or does it all depend on the type of amps and sub?
For your application a dedicated sub amp is not neccesary if the 5-channel amp's 5th channel delivers enough power to drive the woofer. You should have no problem finding a quality 12" sub for under $175. There are many brands out there that would work nicely.

JL Audio 12W0
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13612W0...-4.html?tp=111

JL Audio 12W1
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13612W1...-4.html?tp=111

Kicker
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061CVR...22.html?tp=111

Ect, Ect, Ect
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Amp wattage?