Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stock radio wiring harness...questions on wire colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Stock radio wiring harness...questions on wire colors

Hi i have a 2000 mustang v6, it has 2 separate audio decks. The top most one is the cassette / radio and the bottom most one is solely the stock cd player. No shaker or mach system. Just basic!

So i removed the top part which is the radio/cassette player and i have the following wires in order in the harness:

blue -plain
orange w/ white stripe
green w/ black stripe
cyan w/ red stripe
brown w/ red stripe
black -plain
green w/ purple stripe

Which wire goes to where? I reffered to the haynes manual to look at there wiring diagram and its confusing as hell because it has different colors. Im trying to install a new cd deck.

Also do i need to use the 2 really thick grey wires? They were plugged in on the far left of the deck. I assume the thick black on on the right most part of the stock deck is gnd?

Am i missing wires and i need to remove the other cd player? or are all the wires i need to tend with on the top deck? Which wires do what? Thanks guys!

ok do i even need to tear apart the stock harness or can i just get an adapter of some type? Im installing a alpine CDE-100, heres what my wire situation looks like:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1...ntradiowi4.jpg

The wire colors are a bit different, this is out of a 98... but i have all the harnesses except the far right one...
Do i just buy something like this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+-+...&skuId=9437549

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 01-04-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM
acidfrank

you got further than I did. I have 2000GT with the MACH sound system all original stock. the cd player died recently - amazing it lasted almost 10 years. now I would like to replace it with anything that works. preferably same stock player but I can't figure out how to get it out!?!? I can't find anything in the front or see much under behind that holds it in. argh! my old classic 'stangs were so easy to work on.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you need to go to the autoparts store and buy a scosche fdo2b or metra 70-1770 hrns and it will plug into your factory hrns and have the same wire colors as the new deck you are installing. All you would need to do is connect yellow to yellow, red to red, ect and then plug it in. I have never found a reliable color code for fords radios as they had too many changes and adjustments made from year to year, and sometimes carried over. So if you have a early production 98 car, you might have late production 97 wiring so even if you find a color code you think works I HIGHLY recomend you test EVERY wire before you turn your deck on..........
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

I HAVE A 2000 V6 STAN, would it still be the same? im trying to install a boss digital reciever, got feed up with the wrong color code, and took it to best buy geek squad, and long story... the new one just doesnt turn on,